Building A System

lilkvn

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Hello! I'm currently looking to have a system built in the beginning of September and right now I'm just looking at parts. I am not going to build this myself, but an experienced friend is going to help me assemble this computer.

So far what I've found are and I'd like some recommendations for the ones I have left blank!

CPU: Intel Core i7-930 (I am definitely sticking to this CPU since MicroCenter has it for $199!)
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R (Is there a better Motherboard for around the same price or cheaper?)
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 460 (I will most likely upgrade by adding another GTX 460 down the line for SLI)
Memory: G-Skill 6GB DDR3-1333 (3x 2GB)
Case: (Not looking for something too flashy, maybe the CM 690 II Advanced?)
Fans: (Not sure if I will need to buy these, depending on the case)
PSU: (I was advised to get a 750w power supply, but I'm not sure what brand to get)
Other: (What am I missing?)

In the end, I am looking to spend between 800-1000 dollars by looking for deals and Newegg combo discounts.
Links are appreciated :D

Thanks!

sp12

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
Get the i5 and put the money towards a GTX 470 @280$.

PSU: XFX 750w black edition is good, modular+silver efficiency. You can definitely go higher or lower if that's not important to you. 110$.

Mobo: potentially the Asrock X58 extreme, it's tied with the GA in terms of best value X58 board.

lilkvn

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
So I updated it to

CPU: Intel Core i7-930 (I am definitely sticking to this CPU since MicroCenter has it for $199!)
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R (Is there a better Motherboard for around the same price or cheaper?)
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 460 (I will most likely upgrade by adding another GTX 460 down the line for SLI)
Memory: G-Skill 6GB DDR3-1333 (3x 2GB)
Case: (Not looking for something too flashy, maybe the CM 690 II Advanced?)
Fans: (Not sure if I will need to buy these, depending on the case)
PSU: XFX 750w Black Edition (Unless better recommendation
HDD: Not sure what to get but I heard 7200RPM is good.
Other: (What am I missing?)

I heard there were heating issues with the GTX 470.

Timop

Distinguished

Its not an issue, just the chip runs hotter than comparable ATIs.
In a case like the 932, where the airflow is relatively good, I wont worry about that.

TRENDING THREADS