Computer reboots randomly

doxthepara

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
Ok it doesnt reboot randomly, but it sometimes reboots when i start it up it gets the desktop than all of a sudden just restarts, not shutdown. also i get it alot when im on youtube or, some random sites, it never happens when im playing starcraft 2 or any game for that mattter, i just put my computer together a week ago.

intel i5 760 quadcore 2.8ghz
4gb ddr3 gskill dual channel
GA-h55-D2h motherboard
500gb hardrive 7200 rpm WD
500w psu coolermaster.

NO overclock.

whats the problem!? help help!

thanks!

You are probably getting a blue screen but can’t see it because of the computer restarting. Change your settings for “restart on error”. Look in event viewer for an event that causes the error at the time the restart occurs. Blue screens are normally caused by either faulty memory or faulty drivers (particularly video drivers). Try running a memory test program such as memtest86.

doxthepara

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
i checked the event viewer this is what popped up

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000109 (0xa3a039d8954da75b, 0x0000000000000000, 0xe6f5646a107499d9, 0x0000000000000101). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 110110-16255-01.

and this one which i doubt is irrelevant

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

thanks again!

doxthepara

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
about the memtest86 im running windows 7 does it matteR? also how do i use it, do i just dl the file and open it? or is it booted via something, i dont kno if its an issue but i dled the memory compability list with my motherboard off the site and it says due to massive amount of suppliers we do not list all the modules, they didnt have my specific module on list but they had one very similar jus a few numbers off they had the gskill. F3-10666CL8D-4GBHK and mines is gskill F3-10666CL9D-4GBRL dont kno if that could be the problem they are the same DDR 3 1333mhz dual channel.

thanks!

If you have the Windows installation disk then you can boot from it as the computer starts and run the Windows 7 installation disk memory test instead of memtest86. To run memtest86 you should download the file unzip and burn the ISO to a CD as a bootable image, then boot from it as the computer starts up. As you have 4Gig of memory you have to download the 3.4 version of memtest86 from here (halfway down the page)

http://www.memtest86.com/download.html

I think that the memtest86 is a better memory tester than the Microsoft one but either will do in a pinch.

Yep! pjmelect has pretty much narrowed down the causes.
It's either your ram or video drivers.
Definitely run Memtest86+ 4.10 would be the best version.
Boot an iso image disc from cd/dvd in bios.
Test one ram stick at a time.
If your ram is fine i would download Driversweeper.
Run Driversweeper in safemode
Analyse and clean all graphic drivers on your rig.
You don't mention your gpu which would be helpful.
Re-install your gpu drivers.
Btw it doesn't hurt if you clear your cmos.
It's helped me before with a similiar situation.

doxthepara

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
O srry I totally forgot I'm running a 9800gt bfg 1gb I ran the memtest it gives ne 3 options single CPU and multi CPU and previous version which one do I go to I tried single and multi it just restarted after like 5 sec of scan is it my memory?

hemmi

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
1. Open case, check if cpu fan is running (prob not if dies in only 5 sec on memtest)
2. go into bios check temps
3. take out ONE memory stick, try it out. If fails, replace and remove other. try again.
4. check voltage for memory is ok in Bios. Maybe try resetting Bios to default safe settings.
4. try another power supply

Just some simple suggestions.

vada

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
did you try plucking out the cmos battery? that has helped me many times i heard of a virus called olymic torch or something like that which burns out your ram and cmos with hdd but some cmos have built-in virus protection

doxthepara

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
i got it, it was faulty memory stick returned them and got a new one. the one i was using was not on the compatability list :S.

thanks everyone for taking time to help me out appreciate everyones input

happy gaming!

vada

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
thank you for teaching givng me some xpirence in this and hth

i suppouse this thread can be closed now(well can it!) and doxthepara select the best answer so that when ppl google for this and find this fourm it will help them!!