Bios won't boot from USB or DVD drive.

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • BIOS
  • Boot
  • DVD Drives
Last response: in Motherboards
June 26, 2011 1:39:32 PM

We have a rather old Emachines 170 computer that im trying to breathe some life in by re installing a fresh copy window 7 or XP.

First problem I found was that the DVD drive won't read that DVD RW disc that I have Windows 7 on, so I tried booting an installation from a USB drive but the Bios didn't seem to support that(although I'm quite sure I managed to boot Ubunutu Live from a usb once, So maybe it does?).

So I took the DVD burner drive that I have in another computer and plugged it in so I could read the disc to boot from it. This did nothing, and the Bios didn't seem to detect it, although it did flash and make noises. But It didn't boot from the drive, with both XP and Windows 7 Discs. I tried tweaking the boot order, but ' cd drive' was at that top, followed by removable media or 'Floppy drive' and then the hard drive.

So I plugged the original DVD drive back in and now it won't detect that. It doesn't help that that old Phoenix Bios is so basic that I can't seem to do much.

Now I have very old slow XP computer that doesn't seem to think it has any Optical drives, even in windows, And I can't seem to be able to re install windows.

What do I do now?

More about : bios boot usb dvd drive

a b V Motherboard
June 26, 2011 3:48:23 PM

Check minimum requirement install win7... Go microsoft site
Related resources
!