Sign in with
Your question

SSD boot drive with RAID 1

Last response: in Storage
November 19, 2012 9:32:11 PM

I am assembling my computer tomorrow. I have studied the ins and outs of how to do this, but there is one thing that I am not sure on: The storage setup.
I have purchased an Asus Sabertooth Z77 with raid 0,1,5,10 capability, along with 2 Western Digital black 7200 rpm 64mb cache 1 terabyte hard drives and an Intel 60gb SSD.
I want to have Windows 7 on the SSD to use it as my boot drive, and then have the other two drives for storage in a raid 1 setup to prevent data loss.
How would I set up the hard drives to do this for me?
Other info: UEFI bios, Windows 7 home premium
Also, could I save commonly used programs to the SSD for them to load faster if I also copied them to the raid 1 array to prevent losing them?

Thanks!
Charlie

More about : ssd boot drive raid

a c 537 G Storage
November 20, 2012 5:17:05 AM

Connect your SSD to one of the Intel 6Gb/s ports (SATA6G_1 or SATA6G_2) and set the port to AHCI mode in BIOS.
Install Windows on the SSD. After Windows installation is complete connect your HDDs to any of the Intel 3Gb/s ports (SATA3G_3 thru SATA3G_6), set the SATA mode to RAID, and create your RAID-1 array.

Yes, you can install your most commonly used program to your SSD and then copy them to your RAID-1 array.
m
l
November 21, 2012 12:03:33 PM

Thank you so much!
I did it and it worked. The drives show up as a single drive under the "my computer" menu.
One thing though: whenever I download something, it is being saved to the SSD. How can I change that? And how can I copy the programs (like chrome) installed on the SSD to the RAID-1 array?
m
l
Related resources
!