Sign in with
Your question

New build High End; GPU suggestions?

Last response: in Systems
August 18, 2010 3:55:27 AM

Hi it's been a little while since my last post but here goes;

A little background:
My last home built was a P4 2.8 ghtz Gigabyte rig.
My current computer is a Dell XPS Gen 5 3ghtz Pentium D830.

I figured my system is getting old; 5 years & counting & need a new one as I don't like to upgrade too often.

I just pulled the trigger on a new build ( after doing some research & waiting for some deals to come my way)

I need some suggestions on the right GPU for this system as I can't make up my mind on what to buy...

Parts are on their way, I bought all parts listed below from New Egg & took advantage of some combo deals.

So far I have:

Cooler Master HAF X RC 942 case

PSU CORSAIR|CMPSU-1000HX 1000W RT

ASUS P6X58D-E X58 R ( pretty close to the Premium but a few dollars less)

MEM 6GB|CORS TR3X6G1600C8D R

2x HD 1T|WD 7K 64M SATAIII WD1002FAEX

CPU INTEL|CORE I7 980X 3.33G R

CPU COOL PROLIMA| MEGAHALEMS REV.B

BR BURN PIONEER | BDR-2205 R

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit

My main goal is to get this thing up and running stable & rock solid first.
I'm not that into OC'ing even though this build could handle it .

I've read that the 470 & 480's need quite a bit of juice to keep them happy..
That is why I went with the 1000 Watt PSU as I wasn't sure which GPU I wanted and to keep my options open.

I can't stand ATI/AMD & have used Nvidia cards since I had a really bad experience with ATI.

I was thinking of either one 470 card or 480 or two 460 / 465 cards.

1000 watts is enough though right?

Thanks JD

a b B Homebuilt system
August 18, 2010 7:04:31 AM

Wow you have a very high budget there, mate!
I assume the budget is not a problem, so I will leave the saving suggestions out.

I would pick a single GTX480 (since you can affor it), and get another one later, 1000W should give enough juice for 2 of them.
ATI alternative should be HD5970.
ATI's current GPU is slightly weaker than nVidias but has a lot better performance/watt value.
ATI have bad reputation, it "was" true, but I have been using ATI for more than 4 years..well...those bad reputation was all over long ago...I don't see any problem using ATI's GPUs.

RAID-ing 2x1TB normal HDD is still slow as my ass.
For max performance get SSD (RAID-ed or not) for your master partition and a normal big capacity HDD for your data.
OCZ Vertex 2 or Crucial C300 is the best available SSDs at the moment, and Samsung F3 7200rpm for the HDD.
m
l
Related resources
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
August 18, 2010 4:54:27 PM

JD13 said:
Hi it's been a little while since my last post but here goes;

A little background:
My last home built was a P4 2.8 ghtz Gigabyte rig.
My current computer is a Dell XPS Gen 5 3ghtz Pentium D830.

I figured my system is getting old; 5 years & counting & need a new one as I don't like to upgrade too often.

I just pulled the trigger on a new build ( after doing some research & waiting for some deals to come my way)

I need some suggestions on the right GPU for this system as I can't make up my mind on what to buy...

Parts are on their way, I bought all parts listed below from New Egg & took advantage of some combo deals.

So far I have:

Cooler Master HAF X RC 942 case

PSU CORSAIR|CMPSU-1000HX 1000W RT

ASUS P6X58D-E X58 R ( pretty close to the Premium but a few dollars less)

MEM 6GB|CORS TR3X6G1600C8D R

2x HD 1T|WD 7K 64M SATAIII WD1002FAEX

CPU INTEL|CORE I7 980X 3.33G R

CPU COOL PROLIMA| MEGAHALEMS REV.B

BR BURN PIONEER | BDR-2205 R

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit

My main goal is to get this thing up and running stable & rock solid first.
I'm not that into OC'ing even though this build could handle it .

I've read that the 470 & 480's need quite a bit of juice to keep them happy..
That is why I went with the 1000 Watt PSU as I wasn't sure which GPU I wanted and to keep my options open.

I can't stand ATI/AMD & have used Nvidia cards since I had a really bad experience with ATI.

I was thinking of either one 470 card or 480 or two 460 / 465 cards.

1000 watts is enough though right?

Thanks JD

What type of monitors will you be using?

If you will be using a single 1920 x 1200 monitor or less, then a single GTX480 will be all you need.
Yes, they run hot under load, but they are designed to do so. Your case should be able to handle it.

If you are looking at a 2560 x 1600 monitor, or dual 1920 x 1200 monitors, then a sli configuration would be appropriate.

If you have the room, consider getting a second duplicate monitor. It is one of the most useful upgrades I have ever made.

Your 1000w corsair psu is more than adequate.

For such a high end build, consider getting a good SSD for your OS and apps.
Something like the Intel X25-M 160gb.
You might want to wait a couple of months since gen 3 drives are supposed to launch by the end of the year. They will use smaller nand chips, and be faster, larger, and cheaper. In the interim, you could carve out a 160gb partition out of a large drive and install your os and apps there. Plan on cloning that partition to a ssd later.

Raid-0 will not get you any real (vs. synthetic sequential benchmark) performance. Just use the two drives independently. Also, Intel raid controller drivers do not pass on the "trim" command to SSD's. Windows-7 default drivers do. Trim is important to keeping the ssd clean to allow faster updates. Do select AHCI sata mode to enable this. I is hard to change without a OS reinstall.

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 18, 2010 5:06:02 PM

Yup, an SSD wuld be great here, though I would suggest the Sandforece (Corsair Force/OCZ Vertex 2) and the Crucial RealSSD instead.

For you Id actually say get 2 GTX470 and add another one down the road, for $600 its a great value.

m
l
August 18, 2010 8:43:47 PM

I'm still on the fence with SSD, I was thinking about one.
I'm sure they're quick, the capacity just isn't large enough to justify the price right now.
I went with two 1 TB HDD without the RAID in mind. I read somewhere that WD did something with the chipset on drives to prevent RAID without it being a Enterprise drive. I may still do it, but my budget does have limits.

When I first thought about putting together a new build I was going to go with a i7 920 or 930 CPU.
When I finally got around to buying the parts, I thought about it a bit & opted for an unlocked CPU.

I surfed around on the net & looked at the Alienware / Dell systems along with the Digital Storm options & it still would cost me 3k for a i7 930 rig for what I wanted in it. I'd rather spend a little more now & get what I want than to regret it later..

I like my system as cool & quiet as possible & not to sound like a Harrier ready to take off.
Water Cooling was thought about, but couldn't find a complete kit to my liking & I prefer not to get electrocuted in the process.
I'm sure no warranty out there will cover water damage either.
I've never done a Water cooled rig before.....

My monitor is actually my 40" LCD Samsung TV via DVI to HDMI cable.
Resolution is 1360 x 768 right now

I just got my first parts order; cooling fans from Frozen PC. Two thirds of the order was for my current computer.
Dell replacement fans have some weird connector that plugs into the MB. The remaining 2 fans are for a push pull on the heatsink.

JD
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 18, 2010 8:58:56 PM

At 1360x768 (assuming that's max), the 480 is going to be total overkill. Even a 460 will be overkill.

A single 460 should suffice up to 1680x1050. A single 480 (or dual-460s if you don't intend to upgrade the monitor further) for 1920x1080/1200. Dual 470 or 480 for anything above that (including multi-monitor setups).
m
l
August 18, 2010 8:59:17 PM

JD13 said:
I'm still on the fence with SSD, I was thinking about one.
I'm sure they're quick, the capacity just isn't large enough to justify the price right now.
I went with two 1 TB HDD without the RAID in mind. I read somewhere that WD did something with the chipset on drives to prevent RAID without it being a Enterprise drive. I may still do it, but my budget does have limits.

When I first thought about putting together a new build I was going to go with a i7 920 or 930 CPU.
When I finally got around to buying the parts, I thought about it a bit & opted for an unlocked CPU.

I surfed around on the net & looked at the Alienware / Dell systems along with the Digital Storm options & it still would cost me 3k for a i7 930 rig for what I wanted in it. I'd rather spend a little more now & get what I want than to regret it later..

I like my system as cool & quiet as possible & not to sound like a Harrier ready to take off.
Water Cooling was thought about, but couldn't find a complete kit to my liking & I prefer not to get electrocuted in the process.
I'm sure no warranty out there will cover water damage either.
I've never done a Water cooled rig before.....

My monitor is actually my 40" LCD Samsung TV via DVI to HDMI cable.
Resolution is 1360 x 768 right now

I just got my first parts order; cooling fans from Frozen PC. Two thirds of the order was for my current computer.
Dell replacement fans have some weird connector that plugs into the MB. The remaining 2 fans are for a push pull on the heatsink.

JD

So let me get this straight you are on the fence about an SSD when you bought an i7 980x... You would see more performance switching from HDD to SSD than going from an i7-920 to an i7-980x.
m
l
August 19, 2010 1:50:00 AM

I received my order today & have most of it together other than the GPU.
The video card will be in my next order along with the SSD. Does anyone have any recommendations on which one to get?
I was looking at the Crucial Technology 128 GB Crucial RealSSD C300

Here's a pic of what I have so far:

JD
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 19, 2010 1:51:41 AM

At 128 GB, I would recommend looking at the 120 GB OCZ Agility 2/Vertex 2, Mushkin Callisto, or another Sandforce 1200 controller-based SSD.

Based on this article from Anandtech, it looks like only the 256 GB C300 is really worth it. And I say this as a 128 GB C300 owner.
m
l
August 20, 2010 6:57:28 PM

Update:

I just ordered one EVGA 480 & from Amazon & a G Skill Phoenix 128GB from New Egg both should be here tomorrow.

JD
m
l
!