Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Downgrade from 5850 to GTX460?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
a b U Graphics card
July 14, 2010 12:52:51 AM

So I currently have a pair of 5850s. They're great, and suit my needs perfectly.

Should I downgrade/horizontal-grade to a pair of GTX460s? They look very tempting...very overclock-able, consumes about the same amount of energy, will run 5-10'C cooler than my 5850s, and perform worse than the 5850 at stock. But the SLi scaling is amazing!

:lol: 

More about : downgrade 5850 gtx460

a b U Graphics card
July 14, 2010 12:57:29 AM

ehhh, tbh, id wait a bit. a "475" of sorts will likely come out soon, and the 460 needs to be given some time to mature and prices to drop. however, if you cant wait, i still wouldnt do it. it isnt really worth the trouble unless you can sell the 5850s for more than the cost of 2 460s, as yes, imo the 460 is a better card, but u wont see much more performance.
a b U Graphics card
July 14, 2010 1:02:08 AM

Well, the 5850 is about 20% better a single GTX460 and two 5850s are about 10% better than 2xGTX460s.

I can sell my 5850s for slightly more than it cost to get two GTX460s.

My main amazement is that it can overclock and increase its performance by 30%, it runs cooler than 5850 and 5830, and scales amazingly in SLi... =)

Btw, does Fermi cards have anything equivalent to AMD's Eyefinity?
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 14, 2010 1:10:03 AM

yes, it does do all those things, but it really isnt worth it. and theres nvidia suround, same basic concept, however you need sli to do it. id wait until nvidia fully unleashes Fermi 104 in the form of a "475" and then make your decision.
a b U Graphics card
July 15, 2010 6:11:47 AM

Yeh, but will the 475 be as good as the 465 in terms of price for performance?

What's bugging me at the moment is that my 5850s don't downclock properly with more than 1 monitor, and doesn't scale as well as I would like in Crysis.

Will the GTX460 downclock properly when using more than 1 monitor?
a b U Graphics card
July 15, 2010 6:24:53 AM

Bluescreendeath said:
Yeh, but will the 475 be as good as the 465 in terms of price for performance?

What's bugging me at the moment is that my 5850s don't downclock properly with more than 1 monitor, and doesn't scale as well as I would like in Crysis.

Will the GTX460 downclock properly when using more than 1 monitor?


if i remember correctly 1 card doesn't, but 2 does, (the magic of sli) as for the 475 you could always buy an evga 460 and with their set up program, you could setup to the 475 which would most likely come out before the 90 days allowed to step up, you just send your cards back in and the difference in price, and they send you shiner even newer cards


a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
July 15, 2010 7:07:18 AM

IMO it's not worth it unless you were upgrading from a single 5850. Right now dual 5850's OC'ed are doing better than a single 5970 in most benchmarks. A single 5970 is better than dual 460's TBH..

if we were talking dual 470's then that would be another story..
July 15, 2010 8:43:58 AM

Why would you want to change over??? I mean if you were going for a pair of 470s or 480 like OvrClkr said, then I'd understand...but as of this moment, your new 460 SLI combo would perform worse than the 5850s you're currently running :S
Altough I can see the temptation if you want to try out 3D gaming, but you didn't mention that as one of the reasons for "downgrading"...
a b U Graphics card
July 15, 2010 8:49:52 AM

The 460 is a nice little card fitting between the 5830 and 5850, but at 1920 x 1080 you don't want any less power than a 5850, so, while the 460 is Nvidias best Fermi card so far (not the most powerful, just the best design) it is still in an awkward place. You have to buy the card then OC to make it worth having, but if you have 5850s which are fine without OCing, but then you can OC for further performance when the time comes.

The 460 is a good card if you can squeeze your budget beyond a 5770 but cannot afford a 5850, but otherwise I see little reason to have them
a c 1316 U Graphics card
a c 137 K Overclocking
July 15, 2010 1:03:31 PM

Would that not be like flushing money down the toilet. You spent $600 on two cards that have more performance you sell them for $500, you spend $470 (newegg prices) on new cards with 10% less performance. You are still $570 out of pocket.
Don´t forget that HD5850 overclocks well.
a b U Graphics card
July 15, 2010 5:44:51 PM

i would agree though, 5850 are practically raved about on toms for being so great price performance, and you would be giving up performance really... and in my opinion temps shouldn't really be that much of a concern if they aren't to the point to treating your parts aka why the 480 and the 470 are smack talked so much.

if anything you should just wait till next gen. i'm personally upgrading, from a 275 to 460 sli, and even that i knew i was mostly doing, not because i needed it but because new bells and whistles
a b U Graphics card
July 15, 2010 5:49:23 PM

If you like wiping you butt with money then sure, otherwise I'm not seeing the point.
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
July 15, 2010 6:04:11 PM

@ BSOD, what screen do you currently have?
a b U Graphics card
July 15, 2010 6:06:13 PM

if you can sell the 2 5850s for more than the price of 2 1 gig 460s, then maybe. if you cant, then NO. the 460 by itself has about 90-95% of the performance of the 5850, but it also has better scaling, uses less power, runs cool/cooler, and does well with tesselation. Considering all that, at stock, you shouldnt see much of a loss or increase, unless u play games that favor nvidia. however, the 460 also oc's better, even though the 5850 does just fine. Personally, like i said, wait and see if nvidia fully unlocks fermi 104, see how good of a value it is, then act.
a b U Graphics card
July 15, 2010 6:07:45 PM

5850 CF is better (by quite a bit), GTX 460's don't over clock as well, they go from stock 675MHz to 825MHz (23%), 5850's go from 725MHz to 925Mhz(27%).
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
July 15, 2010 6:15:40 PM

ares1214 said:
if you can sell the 2 5850s for more than the price of 2 1 gig 460s, then maybe. if you cant, then NO. the 460 by itself has about 90-95% of the performance of the 5850, but it also has better scaling, uses less power, runs cool/cooler, and does well with tesselation. Considering all that, at stock, you shouldnt see much of a loss or increase, unless u play games that favor nvidia. however, the 460 also oc's better, even though the 5850 does just fine. Personally, like i said, wait and see if nvidia fully unlocks fermi 104, see how good of a value it is, then act.


im sorry but your post makes no sense at all, first off who is going to pay over 500.00$ for a pair of used 5850's. And second, who said that the 460 has a higher overclocking threshold vs. the 5850? AFAIK certain 5850's can OC past 5870 "stock" speeds, I don't think a heavily overclocked 460 can surpass a 5870 "stock" unless the 460 is under Dice or Ln2 which is besides the point.
a b U Graphics card
July 15, 2010 6:17:20 PM

OvrClkr said:
@ BSOD, what screen do you currently have?


1920x1080

sabot00 said:
5850 CF is better (by quite a bit), GTX 460's don't over clock as well, they go from stock 675MHz to 825MHz (23%), 5850's go from 725MHz to 925Mhz(27%).

Well, I can't overclock my 5850s at the moment unless I reflash the BIOS - mostly due to me running two monitors. For more than 1 monitor, the GPU is constantly running at moderate clocks, whereas idle clocks causes screen flashing - overclocking reverts the speed back to idle clocks.

Does the GTX4x0 series have the same problem?



At the moment, I'm thinking of selling 1 of my 5850s. With 2x5850s I just beat Crysis & Crysis Warhead at UltraHigh for the 2nd time...and a single 5850 handles all my other games just fine. The 5850 is nice, but I'm waiting for the Southern Island refresh or another GTX4x0 bang-for-buck card. The no-idle clock thing for the 5850 really annoys the hell outta me.
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
July 15, 2010 6:20:24 PM

sabot00 said:
5850 CF is better (by quite a bit), GTX 460's don't over clock as well, they go from stock 675MHz to 825MHz (23%), 5850's go from 725MHz to 925Mhz(27%).


925Mhz?

or did you mean 1025Mhz (32%) :whistle: 

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv199/OvrClkr/MAX_OC...

and it can go higher if it wasn't for all this heat..

Clock for clock the GF104 should be faster but when you surpass the 1Ghz mark its a whole nother level..
a b U Graphics card
July 15, 2010 6:21:22 PM

OvrClkr said:
im sorry but your post makes no sense at all, first off who is going to pay over 500.00$ for a pair of used 5850's. And second, who said that the 460 has a higher overclocking threshold vs. the 5850? AFAIK certain 5850's can OC past 5870 "stock" speeds, I don't think a heavily overclocked 460 can surpass a 5870 "stock" unless the 460 is under Dice or Ln2 which is besides the point.


I can get $480 out of my 5850s, or 240 each. I have the XFX version, and used XFX cards sell nicely due to their transferable warranty.


Mainly, I was looking at the Crysis benchmarks, and it showed that the GTX460 SLi scales way better than the 58x0 series in Xfire. Two GTX460s perform almost equal to a 2x5850 in average fps, and performs between 2x5850 and 2x5870 in terms of minimum fps.


At this point, I'm thinking of just selling 1 5850 and seeing if anything new comes out... :pt1cable: 
a b U Graphics card
July 15, 2010 6:21:43 PM

Dual GTX 460s are about on par with dual 5850s at stock. I would say that they are basically the same. The GTX 460 may overclock slightly better since they consistently go over 900 MHz on the core with voltage, and its a 50/50 if a 5850 can get to 1000MHz. I would have to say that the dual GTX 460s OC'd heavily would be slightly better than dual 5850s OC'd heavily, but not by too much. Also, you wont be able to make up any money by trading out, since you can only get about $450 for 2 used 5850s, and dual GTX 460s cost about that as well.

Just stick with the 5850s, its not worth the time. Also crossfire scaling may get better in time, so the 5850s might gain the edge.
a b U Graphics card
July 15, 2010 6:25:43 PM

OvrClkr said:
925Mhz?

or did you mean 1025Mhz :whistle: 

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv199/OvrClkr/MAX_OC...

and it can go higher if it wasn't for all this heat..


Yes we know your in-love with your 5850 and you get abnormally high clocks on the core. The GTX 460 can hit about 925-950 MHz with some luck and voltage, and probably higher with some non-reference parts like your 5850. That is still about a 40% OC with both. The GTX 4xx architecture as seems to gain more from overclocking, though I haven't been able to tell if that remains true with the G104 parts.

a b U Graphics card
July 15, 2010 6:26:14 PM

sabot00 said:
5850 CF is better (by quite a bit), GTX 460's don't over clock as well, they go from stock 675MHz to 825MHz (23%), 5850's go from 725MHz to 925Mhz(27%).


no true. the gtx 460 scales extremely well and a single 460 only loses to a 5850 by about 5-10%:







there you see the 460 sli overall in a tie with the 5970. 2 5850s in xfire also overall tie a 5970:





the 2 460s should be very close to 2 5850s, id say + or - 5% depending on the game. and almost all reports have the 460 getting atleast 850 MHz, making it 26%. and heres a comparison:

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-5850-review-cro...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3809/nvidias-geforce-gtx-...

the 460 oc's just as high or higher.








a b U Graphics card
July 15, 2010 6:28:01 PM

Ok, now an important question - does idle clocks for the GTX4x0 series cause screen flashing for multiple monitors, causing the card to have to run in moderate load clocks at all times?

This happens for the 5850s, and is really annoying...

Remember, this dual monitor screen flashing issue is what prevents me from overclocking at all. Even a small OC causes my other monitor to flash at a seizure-causing rate.
a b U Graphics card
July 15, 2010 6:32:01 PM

this is honestly becoming an nvidia camp vs ati camp pretty quick, if you utterly can't stand the no idle, and don't mind a small lose in performance go ahead and get the 460 sli, otherwise just wait, for the next generation or at least until southern island or fully fledged gf 104 or gf100's come out
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
July 15, 2010 6:33:50 PM

AMW1011 said:
Yes we know your in-love with your 5850 and you get abnormally high clocks on the core. The GTX 460 can hit about 925-950 MHz with some luck and voltage, and probably higher with some non-reference parts like your 5850. That is still about a 40% OC with both. The GTX 4xx architecture as seems to gain more from overclocking, though I haven't been able to tell if that remains true with the G104 parts.

Either way we understand that you love your 5850, but we don't need the bias.


Its not about me loving my 5850, its about comparing both cards fairly because to be honest once the Asus TOP 460 (1Gb) drops its going to be a whole different ballgame. The 460 is in a lower bracket, I doubt the 460 OC'ed can beat the 5850 OC'ed taking into consideration that both cards are equally overclocked by 200-300Mhz over stock clocks.

I would love to see a non-biased bench with both cards in SLI/CF and then the same test in single card config (both tests with the cards OC'ed to the max), of course testing TOP AMD parts vs TOP NV parts but since this is not going to happen we can just assume ;) 
a b U Graphics card
July 15, 2010 6:35:52 PM

Ok, now an important question - does idle clocks for the GTX4x0 series cause screen flashing for multiple monitors, causing the card to have to run in moderate load clocks at all times?

This happens for the 5850s, and is really annoying...

Remember, this dual monitor screen flashing issue is what prevents me from overclocking at all. Even a small OC causes my other monitor to flash at a seizure-causing rate.

Note in crossfire, this multiple monitor thing sometimes gives me problems. One of my GPUs sometimes reverts back to regular idle speed and crossfire is not enabled for games (I need to manually disable, and then re-enable Xfire). When in crossfire operation, both cards run at 400/1000 or sometimes 400/1000 and 400/900
a b U Graphics card
July 15, 2010 6:36:44 PM

I agree with Jonny, just flash those 5850s, its not that hard and you said it would fix your problem.
a b U Graphics card
July 15, 2010 6:42:49 PM

OvrClkr said:
Its not about me loving my 5850, its about comparing both cards fairly because to be honest once the Asus TOP 460 (1Gb) drops its going to be a whole different ballgame. The 460 is in a lower bracket, I doubt the 460 OC'ed can beat the 5850 OC'ed taking into consideration that both cards are equally overclocked by 200-300Mhz over stock clocks.

I would love to see a non-biased bench with both cards in SLI/CF and then the same test in single card config (both tests with the cards OC'ed to the max), of course testing TOP AMD parts vs TOP NV parts but since this is not going to happen we can just assume ;) 


A fair comparison is the GTX 460 at 850 MHz and the 5850 at 925 MHz. That is the top you tend to see with both cards without voltage. A lot of 5850s need a voltage bump to make it past 900 MHz, and many 5850 will never do 1GHz on air. So I see nothing wrong with the comparison before hand. Also when you take into consideration that 2 GTX 460s perform about the same as 2 5850s, then equal OC's make them equal performers.

Your also comparing a reference card against a non-reference 5850, which costs $40-$60 more than a reference 5850, bring the price gap to over $100 each. Yeah, the Asus TOP can be compared to the DirectCU 5850, but as it stands I just can't see the DirectCU being worth it at its current price, especially since the faster GTX 470 is cheaper...
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
July 15, 2010 6:42:54 PM

We should all admit that there are variances in chips. We see it in peoples posts and read about it. They have different steppings whether they label them or not. Some chips run hotter, some need more voltage, some o/c higher. Some are out there causing this monitor flickering, some are causing this grey screening. I'm talking about both companies. Someones best case rig, is offset by another who can't overclock his cards or even run dual monitors. Some Fermi owners can't get much of a o/c , because of heat. Often times its a individual card ,because of cooler, heat sink, assembly. A good card VS a awesome card VS a bad card.
Its always controversial when a Camry owner decides he's selling and buying a Accord :) 
a b U Graphics card
July 15, 2010 6:43:22 PM

Well, it will solve my overclocking problem, but it will not solve my non-idle clock/dual monitor problem, and won't solve my Xfire not syncing correctly/dual monitor problem.

a b U Graphics card
July 15, 2010 6:45:09 PM

I don't care about this Nvidia vs ATI tug of war, but please answer my question in the process.

Does the GTX4x0 series suffers from the same non-idle clocks problem as the 5x00 when running more than 1 monitor?
a b U Graphics card
July 15, 2010 6:46:38 PM

Bluescreendeath said:
Ok, now an important question - does idle clocks for the GTX4x0 series cause screen flashing for multiple monitors, causing the card to have to run in moderate load clocks at all times?

This happens for the 5850s, and is really annoying...

Remember, this dual monitor screen flashing issue is what prevents me from overclocking at all. Even a small OC causes my other monitor to flash at a seizure-causing rate.

Note in crossfire, this multiple monitor thing sometimes gives me problems. One of my GPUs sometimes reverts back to regular idle speed and crossfire is not enabled for games (I need to manually disable, and then re-enable Xfire). When in crossfire operation, both cards run at 400/1000 or sometimes 400/1000 and 400/900


So you don't OC your cards because it causes problems when the cards are at idle in Crossfire?

If so, why not just disable crossfire when at idle and before you go into a game enable the crossfire and enable the overclock settings then launch the game?

I'm not sure I understand your problem.
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
July 15, 2010 6:48:45 PM

With Fermi 100, some AIB's run their bios to not down clock much at all with dual monitors.
There is a problem associated with GDDR5, that causes this anomaly.
With ATI 5 series, I know Gigabyte runs their cards differently, because of potential problems. Its a % thing. Most people do not get flickering. But some do, its a juggling act , with voltages, timings.
a b U Graphics card
July 15, 2010 6:50:32 PM

^ Is there any way to do that quickly or automatically?

For my rig, enabling or disabling Xfire causes the screen to go blank for 20-30 seconds. Sometimes, (1/10 times), the screen goes blank permanently and I need to reboot...although I think that's probably a software error somewhere.

a b U Graphics card
July 15, 2010 6:51:08 PM

Bluescreendeath said:
I don't care about this Nvidia vs ATI tug of war, but please answer my question in the process.

Does the GTX4x0 series suffers from the same non-idle clocks problem as the 5x00 when running more than 1 monitor?


Do you game with 2 monitors?

I can tell you now my 8800 GTS 512mbs have no problems OC'd at idle with 2 monitors. Of course I can't game though.

Maybe you should wait a little while and search the SLIzone forums and here, especially considering this is a prime spot for people whining about their computer troubles. :D 

These cards are too new to know right now. A problem that effects G100 chips may not effect G104 chips and vice-versa.

Optimally, it would be great if we could fix your current problems as I have never heard of them before and I know someone with dual reference 5850s and a 3 monitor setup (lucky bastard!).
a b U Graphics card
July 15, 2010 6:51:59 PM

notty22 said:
With Fermi 100, some AIB's run their bios to not down clock much at all with dual monitors.
There is a problem associated with GDDR5, that causes this anomaly.
With ATI 5 series, I know Gigabyte runs their cards differently, because of potential problems. Its a % thing. Most people do not get flickering. But some do, its a juggling act , with voltages, timings.


dammit...so the same problem affects Fermi cards too.

In that case, it might be pointless for me to go GTX4x0 because I'll be having the same dual-monitor problems I'm currently having with 5850s in Xfire.
a b U Graphics card
July 15, 2010 6:52:10 PM

Bluescreendeath said:
^ Is there any way to do that quickly or automatically?

For my rig, enabling or disabling Xfire causes the screen to go blank for 20-30 seconds. Sometimes, (1/10 times), the screen goes blank permanently and I need to reboot...although I think that's probably a software error somewhere.


Yeah I've gotten the same with my SLI setup, so that seems pretty normal to me.
a b U Graphics card
July 15, 2010 6:53:42 PM

Bluescreendeath said:
dammit...so the same problem affects Fermi cards too.

In that case, it might be pointless for me to go GTX4x0 because I'll be having the same dual-monitor problems I'm currently having with 5850s in Xfire.


I'm currently thinking that the problem may be the idle memory clocks like Notty said. If you change those to being slightly higher you may be fine, since it was a common fix for ATI's GSOD before hand. Have you tried this?
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
July 15, 2010 6:54:34 PM

AMW1011 said:
A fair comparison is the GTX 460 at 850 MHz and the 5850 at 925 MHz. That is the top you tend to see with both cards without voltage. A lot of 5850s need a voltage bump to make it past 900 MHz, and many 5850 will never do 1GHz on air. So I see nothing wrong with the comparison before hand. Also when you take into consideration that 2 GTX 460s perform about the same as 2 5850s, then equal OC's make them equal performers.

Your also comparing a reference card against a non-reference 5850, which costs $40-$60 more than a reference 5850, bring the price gap to over $100 each. Yeah, the Asus TOP can be compared to the DirectCU 5850, but as it stands I just can't see the DirectCU being worth it at its current price, especially since the faster GTX 470 is cheaper...


do some homework, first off I paid 319.99 + 7.68$ shipping for my DirectCU back when in came out. This is actually cheaper than any 470 that was out at the time.

Second, who said that dual 460's are on par with dual 5850's?? Again you are comparing apples to oranges since dual 460's cannot match a 5970 (same as dual 5850's give or take ;)  )

Third my card can hit 1025/1300 1.28c and not even hit 70c, the 470 cannot do that since an extremely overclocked/overvolted 470 will surpass 90c. That's a 20c difference, again give or take. So no I don't get you point other than NV's arch being superior to AMD's.

ohh and forgot the 5850 draws less power from the PSU also...

Next time you want to argue about what card is better I suggest you think before you type ;) 

@ OP sorry for the lecture...
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
July 15, 2010 6:55:51 PM

Bluescreendeath said:
dammit...so the same problem affects Fermi cards too.

In that case, it might be pointless for me to go GTX4x0 because I'll be having the same dual-monitor problems I'm currently having with 5850s in Xfire.


There is no proof to this comment. But I have a feeling that it won't be present in the GTX 460's. There has been a bunch of sli reviews , and no one has reported any bad experiences. I read about Fermi 100 not downclocking 100% because of dual monitors in the initial reviews.
a b U Graphics card
July 15, 2010 6:57:50 PM

Do you mean idle clocks higher than the "lowest idle" of 300MHz? When I try to do underclock/overclock, regular BIOS settings kick in, and it goes to the lowest 300MHz at idle - so I have not been able to test out anything above 300MHz for constant idle/

I read somewhere that in the 4800s series, screen flashing was caused by any change in the memory MHz - so the 4870s did not down clock their memory at all, causing high idle power consumption.
a b U Graphics card
July 15, 2010 7:00:29 PM

notty22 said:
There is no proof to this comment. But I have a feeling that it won't be present in the GTX 460's. There has been a bunch of sli reviews , and no one has reported any bad experiences. I read about Fermi 100 not downclocking 100% because of dual monitors in the initial reviews.



Hmmm...in that case I guess I could just sell 1 of my 5850s and wait and see... A person I know is offering 250 cash for my 5850 and some spare DDR1 RAM I have lying around, so I could cover the price of a possible GTX460 1GB purchase in the future with some to spare.
a b U Graphics card
July 15, 2010 7:07:43 PM

like i said before, before any major purchase, id wait for nvidia to play all their cards. it seems they are holding the 475 of sorts back.
a b U Graphics card
July 15, 2010 7:21:16 PM

OvrClkr said:
do some homework, first off I paid 319.99 + 7.68$ shipping for my DirectCU back when in came out. This is actually cheaper than any 470 that was out at the time.

Second, who said that dual 460's are on par with dual 5850's?? Again you are comparing apples to oranges since dual 460's cannot match a 5970 (same as dual 5850's give or take ;)  )

Third my card can hit 1025/1300 1.28c and not even hit 70c, the 470 cannot do that since an extremely overclocked/overvolted 470 will surpass 90c. That's a 20c difference, again give or take. So no I don't get you point other than NV's arch being superior to AMD's.

ohh and forgot the 5850 draws less power from the PSU also...

Next time you want to argue about what card is better I suggest you think before you type ;) 

@ OP sorry for the lecture...



I'm glad you paid $320 before, but today the cheapest costs $340. Even if they come back in stock at $320, then they will be the same price as the GTX 470 is now.

Dual GTX 460s trade blows with a 5970. Over all they may be about 5-7% slower, but that is an irrelevant amount and is misleading since both take some strong wins in different games, so it would come down to which games you prefer personally.

Now you are arguing that the 5850 is better than the GTX 470? Seriously? The GTX 470 is a good 10-15% faster than the 5850 overall. The GTX 470 can consistently hit 800 MHz on the core without voltage, and 850 MHz is pretty attainable. The DirectCU is going to hit 1GHz pretty consistently with voltage. So the 5850 may have a 25Mhz lead, but the G100 architecture is shown to gain more from overclocking so that is a moot point. Then add in that the GTX 470 beats even the 5870 with moderate to extreme tessellation and a picture starts to form. But where this comparison is truly flawed is that we are talking about dual card setups, and SLI scales 10-20% better than crossfire in dual card setups. Yeah the GTX 470 is hotter and it does require more power, but it is also a lot faster, especially when you compare them in dual card setups. Heat and power consumption are factors, yes, and I will never recommend a GTX 470 over a 5850 if the user can't handle the extra heat and power, but most can so it is a moot point.

If the extra performance, and in this instance there is a lot of it, is not worth the heat and power consumption for YOU then that is for you, but don't make it out that the GTX 470 is flawed or inferior in anyway compared to the 5850 if it simply doesn't meet your needs. Also, I never said the 5850 was a bad card, I just don't like the price point of the DirectCU, and I think the 5850 in general needs a price reduction, but is still pretty competitive now at $280-$290.

For the record if I were to choose between dual GTX 470s and 5850s NOW, I would likely go with the GTX 470s even though my PSU can't handle it, my case supports dual PSUs so I could just add another 500w unit I have lying around for one of the cards, but that doesn't count for everyone. That does not mean I'm going to ignore what I would be sacrificing and forced to deal with, nor would I champion my selection even if it isn't the best solution for someone else.

That is all I'm going to say on this subject, I'm done arguing. Sorry BSOD for messing with this thread, but I felt it had to said.
a b U Graphics card
July 15, 2010 7:24:15 PM

Bluescreendeath said:
Hmmm...in that case I guess I could just sell 1 of my 5850s and wait and see... A person I know is offering 250 cash for my 5850 and some spare DDR1 RAM I have lying around, so I could cover the price of a possible GTX460 1GB purchase in the future with some to spare.


I think that is an excellent idea. There are very few games that would really tax a single 5850 seriously, even with a multi-monitor setup (especially overclocked), and those that do are rarely worth playing more than once (Crysis and Metro2033 for instance). You could pocket the extra and slowly add and see what happens with SI, or even further down the line to NI and the rumored Fermi refresh.
a b U Graphics card
July 15, 2010 7:26:51 PM

For me, the only game that really matters in terms of fps is Crysis/Crysis Warhead, since that's the game where every fps counts.

Other games such as FarCry2/Fallout3/L4D2/etc don't really matter since you're already getting over 60fps average.

Other issues such as non-idle/dual monitor and non-sync problems are minor, but they do add up and really get annoying...
a b U Graphics card
July 15, 2010 7:29:23 PM

AMW1011 said:
I think that is an excellent idea. There are very few games that would really tax a single 5850 seriously, even with a multi-monitor setup (especially overclocked), and those that do are rarely worth playing more than once (Crysis and Metro2033 for instance). You could pocket the extra and slowly add and see what happens with SI, or even further down the line to NI and the rumored Fermi refresh.


Yep. I've already played Crysis & Crysis Warhead with UltraHigh graphics mod 2x-3x already...

For the longest time, my objective was to play Crysis maxed out (with mods) at 1080p...so I feel at the moment, my life in terms of graphical eye-candy requirements are complete... :lol: 
a b U Graphics card
July 15, 2010 7:31:30 PM

Bluescreendeath said:
For me, the only game that really matters in terms of fps is Crysis/Crysis Warhead, since that's the game where every fps counts.

Other games such as FarCry2/Fallout3/L4D2/etc don't really matter since you're already getting over 60fps average.

Other issues such as non-idle/dual monitor and non-sync problems are minor, but they do add up and really get annoying...


Yeah a dual card setup can be a bit of a chore, and that is no different with SLI, but I still think it is worth it most of the time.

The only game I play that doesn't run as smoothly as I would like is Fallout 3, and that is because of my low VRAM and bandwidth on my 8800 GTS 512mbs, so I get a lot of area loading which can get annoying. Your 5850 should be pretty close to my dual 8800 GTS 512mbs, probably a good 10-15% faster. My experience is that this is enough horsepower for now, though I am bottle-necked by my memory and bandwidth so I get similar FPS but my actual gameplay isn't as smooth, but you are not.
a b U Graphics card
July 15, 2010 7:33:10 PM

Bluescreendeath said:
Yep. I've already played Crysis & Crysis Warhead with UltraHigh graphics mod 2x-3x already...

For the longest time, my objective was to play Crysis maxed out (with mods) at 1080p...so I feel at the moment, my life in terms of graphical eye-candy requirements are complete... :lol: 


Crysis Ultra High with playable framerates, I couldn't even imagine it. :lol: 

Then again I couldn't imagine playing Crysis 3 times over either. :ouch: 
!