Sign in with
Your question

Downgrade from 5850 to GTX460? - Page 2

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
July 15, 2010 7:47:27 PM

Bluescreendeath said:
Hmmm...in that case I guess I could just sell 1 of my 5850s and wait and see... A person I know is offering 250 cash for my 5850 and some spare DDR1 RAM I have lying around, so I could cover the price of a possible GTX460 1GB purchase in the future with some to spare.

if you can get 240.00$ for each 5850 then i don't see a reason to keep them.
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
July 15, 2010 8:00:39 PM

AMW1011 said:
I'm glad you paid $320 before, but today the cheapest costs $340. Even if they come back in stock at $320, then they will be the same price as the GTX 470 is now.

Dual GTX 460s trade blows with a 5970. Over all they may be about 5-7% slower, but that is an irrelevant amount and is misleading since both take some strong wins in different games, so it would come down to which games you prefer personally.

Now you are arguing that the 5850 is better than the GTX 470? Seriously? The GTX 470 is a good 10-15% faster than the 5850 overall. The GTX 470 can consistently hit 800 MHz on the core without voltage, and 850 MHz is pretty attainable. The DirectCU is going to hit 1GHz pretty consistently with voltage. So the 5850 may have a 25Mhz lead, but the G100 architecture is shown to gain more from overclocking so that is a moot point. Then add in that the GTX 470 beats even the 5870 with moderate to extreme tessellation and a picture starts to form. But where this comparison is truly flawed is that we are talking about dual card setups, and SLI scales 10-20% better than crossfire in dual card setups. Yeah the GTX 470 is hotter and it does require more power, but it is also a lot faster, especially when you compare them in dual card setups. Heat and power consumption are factors, yes, and I will never recommend a GTX 470 over a 5850 if the user can't handle the extra heat and power, but most can so it is a moot point.

If the extra performance, and in this instance there is a lot of it, is not worth the heat and power consumption for YOU then that is for you, but don't make it out that the GTX 470 is flawed or inferior in anyway compared to the 5850 if it simply doesn't meet your needs. Also, I never said the 5850 was a bad card, I just don't like the price point of the DirectCU, and I think the 5850 in general needs a price reduction, but is still pretty competitive now at $280-$290.

For the record if I were to choose between dual GTX 470s and 5850s NOW, I would likely go with the GTX 470s even though my PSU can't handle it, my case supports dual PSUs so I could just add another 500w unit I have lying around for one of the cards, but that doesn't count for everyone. That does not mean I'm going to ignore what I would be sacrificing and forced to deal with, nor would I champion my selection even if it isn't the best solution for someone else.

That is all I'm going to say on this subject, I'm done arguing. Sorry BSOD for messing with this thread, but I felt it had to said.

I think you misunderstood my post.. you posted :

Quote:
I just can't see the DirectCU being worth it at its current price, especially since the faster GTX 470 is cheaper...

and I answered :

Quote:
first off I paid 319.99 + 7.68$ shipping for my DirectCU back when in came out. This is actually cheaper than any 470 that was out at the time.

so no, I never said that the 5850 was faster than a 470 ;)  , in fact i was one of the first ones to get the 470 when it came out and unfortunately it was faulty so I decided to get another one. At load the card hit 95c mainly because of my ambient so I decided that the DirectCU was my best option in that price-range.

Above you wrote 2 paragraphs that were totally unnecessary because again no one is saying that the 5850 is superior to the 470.

I didn't intend to argue with you but I guess you lit the wick when you said I was biased :D  , well im not biased, if you read my posts from a week before Fermi launched you will see that I was one of the few who was actually rooting for the GREEN TEAM when 90% of TOMS users were saying that FERMI was going to fail...

Hope this clears things up...

PS: the reason the DirectCU is more $$ is because the non-OC'ed version is sold out, the OC'ed version is the only one that the Egg offers ATM ;) 
a b U Graphics card
July 15, 2010 8:23:36 PM

I thought you meant that the GTX 470 wasn't worth it because of the heat and power consumption despite the performance gains.

No big deal. I didn't say you were biased, I just pointed out that you had abnormal clocks that are better than most. I stated that you loved your 5850, which is reasonable because you ended up with a hell of a chip, most 5850s can't even hit 1GHz, even some non-reference have problems. You didn't even max out voltage and your OVER 1GHz. I didn't mean that you were biased because of that.
Related resources
July 15, 2010 8:36:30 PM

Well, ill tell you this. Monitor flicker on 5850 is a fking pain and makes me what to throw the damm thing down the stairs.

If i was buying now, I would buy 460 over the 5850s. but thier is a issue, the 460 are DUAL SLI only, thier is no TRI SLI option available. This means that if you need more GPU power, then its a total scrap for new. You can TRI CF the 5850s tho if need be.

The 470 is generally regarded as the Green answer to the 5850, and that is the card that gives the most flexability. Buy 1 or 2 now, and get a 3rd (assuming X58) later.

If not running X58, then 2 460s or2 470 would be good enough
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
July 15, 2010 8:47:41 PM

AMW1011 said:
I thought you meant that the GTX 470 wasn't worth it because of the heat and power consumption despite the performance gains.

No big deal. I didn't say you were biased, I just pointed out that you had abnormal clocks that are better than most. I stated that you loved your 5850, which is reasonable because you ended up with a hell of a chip, most 5850s can't even hit 1GHz, even some non-reference have problems. You didn't even max out voltage and your OVER 1GHz. I didn't mean that you were biased because of that.

Man if i had the cash for a decent loop I would have never sold that second 470 :( 

No worries, I didn't mean to call you out, I was just trying to explain the differences and the reason I had to jump ship..

Anyways as far as the DirectCU goes, I feel like I got lucky because Asus claims that they used highly binned Cypress chips specifically for the DirectCU, not sure if this is true or not but it can OC very well even in high ambient scenarios. This is mainly the reason I say that the Asus TOP 460 1Gb is going to a monster of a GPU. Should be in the 265.00$ arena at the most, hopefully.
a b U Graphics card
July 15, 2010 8:52:59 PM

^ Yeh, I only have 2x PCIe slots anyways. Besides, anything over dual SLi/Xfire scales badly...

AMW1011 said:
Crysis Ultra High with playable framerates, I couldn't even imagine it. :lol:  Then again I couldn't imagine playing Crysis 3 times over either. :ouch: 

Crysis with UH gfx makes some parts of the game look photorealistic or almost like in real life.

I sometimes spend hours just wandering around, jumping on hills/cliffs to get a good look at the scenery... :D 
July 16, 2010 1:58:59 AM

I've got my Diamond 5770 set to 900mhz / 1275mhz - highest I've seen it run at full load is 66C / 165F - average temps are around 55C
a b U Graphics card
July 16, 2010 2:00:27 AM

hythos said:
I've got my Diamond 5770 set to 900mhz / 1275mhz - highest I've seen it run at full load is 66C / 165F - average temps are around 55C

well thats fun!
a b U Graphics card
July 16, 2010 3:35:07 AM

My 5770 with its reference cooler reaches 82'C at full load at stock clocks...grrr
a b U Graphics card
July 16, 2010 3:54:17 AM

Bluescreendeath said:
My 5770 with its reference cooler reaches 82'C at full load at stock clocks...grrr

wow! my 4890 maxes at around 65 degrees decently oc'ed.
a b U Graphics card
July 16, 2010 5:52:58 PM

Btw, 1 on my 5850s have really high VRMs, and the other has relatively low VRMs

ie. The temps of the 1st GPU is:
80'C core
80'C VRMs 1
95'C VRMs 2
79'C VRMs 3
Fan load @ 40-45%

The temps of the 2nd GPU is:
85'C core
85'C VRMs 1
80'C VRMs 2
78'C VRMs 3

Is the VRMs #2 for my GPU #1 abnormally high?
Fan load @ 40-45%
      • 2 / 2
!