Optical drive disappears

tbkfan

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
My setup:
XFX 630i mb
LG DVD RW drive (SATA II)
Windows 7

For the last few months (maybe 8 or more.... I really don't know how long ago this began but its been a bit of an annoyance for a while now) the optical drive on my PC will just disappear. It doesn't show up in "My Computer" or in the Device Manager. When I go into BIOS setup, it is recognized there, but in Windows, it doesn't show up at all.

The only way to get the drive to show up in Windows is to shut the PC down, physically unplug the DVD drive cable from the MB and plub it into a different SATA port and start the computer up again. This solution will work for a few hours, days, weeks, who knows?? until it disappears again.

When I first started having this problem, I just went out and bought a new optical drive, thinking that would solve my problem. It turns out that it had nothing to do with the drive of course as I am still having the issue with the new drive.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

tbkfan

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
I forgot to mention, that when I first had the issue, I was using IDE. When I went to buy a new drive, I ended up with a SATA drive. Still having the issue with the SATA drive tells me it isn't a faulty cable.