Sign in with
Your question

Installed win 8 over win xp

Last response: in Windows 8
March 7, 2012 7:47:03 AM

I made a terrible,TERRIBLE mistake...i installed windows 8 over windows xp and now i can't access my windows xp partition...I tried fixing it somehow by booting a windows xp cd but it doesnt regnonise the CD...i tried it on an other pc and it can successfully boot from the cd...Any help?Thanks...!

More about : installed win win

a b * Windows 8
March 7, 2012 10:20:25 AM

Time to reload XP from scratch. There is no uninstall of Win 8. Sorry.
m
l
March 7, 2012 10:43:52 AM

Yeah,that doesnt seem to bother me,but i CANT boot the windows xp cd...so how am i able to reload xp??
m
l
Related resources
March 7, 2012 11:17:34 AM

xaros43 said:
I made a terrible,TERRIBLE mistake...i installed windows 8 over windows xp and now i can't access my windows xp partition...I tried fixing it somehow by booting a windows xp cd but it doesnt regnonise the CD...i tried it on an other pc and it can successfully boot from the cd...Any help?Thanks...!

Xaro, Did your install of Windows 8 give you any save data options when you did the install?

You will not be able to access your Windows XP partition if you did not create a 2nd partition to install Windows 8 on.

Did you create a 2nd partition for the Windows 8 installation?
m
l
a b * Windows 8
March 7, 2012 11:22:56 AM

It does not boot the windows XP CD?

is you BIOS set to boot from CD first?
m
l
March 7, 2012 11:31:31 AM

To be more specific,my father did it ...im gonna ask him if it gave him a data save option but as i can see it,there is no 2nd partition for the windows 8.

Anonymous1,yes i push the F12 so the boot menu will pop up..and i click CD/DVD rom but it boots to windows 8.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
March 7, 2012 12:25:03 PM

If you are manually selecting the CD as the boot device and are still having issues, it is one of a couple things.

1. Watch for the "press any key to boot from CD" message and press a key.
2. The XP CD may be damaged, you can try making a copy of the media in another PC.
3. The optical drive is defective/dirty.

m
l
March 7, 2012 12:31:43 PM

1.i am watching very carefully and this message doesnt show up...
2.thing is,i can boot from the windows xp cd from an other computer!
3.i tried it with the other optical drive...still no luck.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
March 7, 2012 12:38:21 PM

Is there a Windows.Old folder in the Win8 file system?
m
l
a b * Windows 8
March 7, 2012 12:40:49 PM

This is not a Win 8 issue, but a hardware or media issue. Seems that your optical drive is not picking up the CD when inserted.

Try burning a new copy of your install media. Burn at the slowest possible speed.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
March 7, 2012 12:44:59 PM

Have you checked to see if you might have a hidden restore partition?
m
l
March 7, 2012 2:08:25 PM

WR2 said:
Is there a Windows.Old folder in the Win8 file system?

I can't access the C HDD...i don't know why
m
l
March 7, 2012 2:37:29 PM

COLGeek said:
This is not a Win 8 issue, but a hardware or media issue. Seems that your optical drive is not picking up the CD when inserted.

Try burning a new copy of your install media. Burn at the slowest possible speed.

I tried burning it with 8x speed...no luck with both of the optical drivers...
m
l
a b * Windows 8
March 7, 2012 2:54:07 PM

What are the specs for your system? Have you reset the BIOS (back to default settings)?
m
l
March 7, 2012 3:16:53 PM

As a last resort you can always remove the HDD and reformat it externally on another PC.
m
l
March 7, 2012 4:40:45 PM

xaros43 said:
I can't access the C HDD...i don't know why

Are you saying you can't access, explore or open the C: drive?
m
l
March 7, 2012 5:22:43 PM

...Somehow i managed to access to windows xp partition but seriously,everything is a big mess!Im guessing format is the only solution...
Anyway,thanks a lot for your help!
m
l
a b * Windows 8
March 7, 2012 9:09:18 PM

Is there anything you need to save from the XP partition?
Personal files or data?
We can recommend a bootable Rescue CD that should let you do that.
m
l
!