Installed win 8 over win xp

xaros43

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
I made a terrible,TERRIBLE mistake...i installed windows 8 over windows xp and now i can't access my windows xp partition...I tried fixing it somehow by booting a windows xp cd but it doesnt regnonise the CD...i tried it on an other pc and it can successfully boot from the cd...Any help?Thanks...!

ziuus1

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010

Xaro, Did your install of Windows 8 give you any save data options when you did the install?

You will not be able to access your Windows XP partition if you did not create a 2nd partition to install Windows 8 on.

Did you create a 2nd partition for the Windows 8 installation?

xaros43

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
To be more specific,my father did it ...im gonna ask him if it gave him a data save option but as i can see it,there is no 2nd partition for the windows 8.

Anonymous1,yes i push the F12 so the boot menu will pop up..and i click CD/DVD rom but it boots to windows 8.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
If you are manually selecting the CD as the boot device and are still having issues, it is one of a couple things.

1. Watch for the "press any key to boot from CD" message and press a key.
2. The XP CD may be damaged, you can try making a copy of the media in another PC.
3. The optical drive is defective/dirty.

xaros43

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
1.i am watching very carefully and this message doesnt show up...
2.thing is,i can boot from the windows xp cd from an other computer!
3.i tried it with the other optical drive...still no luck.

xaros43

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011

I tried burning it with 8x speed...no luck with both of the optical drivers...

xaros43

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
...Somehow i managed to access to windows xp partition but seriously,everything is a big mess!Im guessing format is the only solution...
Anyway,thanks a lot for your help!