Sign in with
Your question

Tons of BSOD's

Last response: in Windows 7
December 27, 2009 5:47:08 AM

I recently put together a computer build on Dec. 19th.(Specs below). I can't remember when exactly it started but from what I can remember it's been going on since day 1. I thought it was a driver issue at first but that doesn't seem to be the case. I get BSOD's when idle, browsing the web and playing any games. :cry: 

Here are my Minidump zipped files:
http://www.mediafire.com/?zjljxitzihn

Intel E7500
Gigabyte EP45-UD3L
XFX HD 5750
WB 640GB Black
OCZ ModxStream 600w
G.Skill 4GB 1066
Windows 7 Pro 64

More about : tons bsod

December 27, 2009 7:09:19 AM

Are you overclocking anything?
Reset the motherboard BIOS to default settings.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 27, 2009 12:04:44 PM

You might try running MEMTEST86 to rule out any memory poblems
m
l
Related resources
a c 215 $ Windows 7
December 27, 2009 8:16:55 PM

SwizzzzZ, please double check the version of Windows 7 you are using. I have loaded the mini dump files with every version of the symbol packs I could find (since there are seperate ones for the Beta, RC and RTM builds) and each time it said they were the wrong version.
m
l
December 27, 2009 8:27:19 PM

I ran the MemTest86+ for 10hrs last night and got alot of errors:

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/2010/001hkm.jpg

I changed my MCH core voltage from 1.1 to 1.2v, Memory multiplier from Auto to 4.00A and FSB from Auto to 266FSB. (This was suggested that I do from another tech site)

It was smooth for about 3hrs but I just crashed in a game. (Solid black screen, with computer still on - had to restart). I haven't had a BSOD yet since I've changed those settings in the BIOS.

The_Prophecy - Here is a shot of my specs:

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/1566/win7pro64.jpg
m
l
a c 215 $ Windows 7
December 27, 2009 8:41:26 PM

Strange.... looks like I was loading the right symbol pack, but I know those packs work. Every other memory dump I use them on, it works perfectly.

In any case, run Memtest86+ again with the new voltage settings and see if you continue getting errors. If so, replace your ram.
m
l
December 27, 2009 8:52:13 PM

Ill be the first to admit that Im not the best at debugging dmp logs but your recent ones all seem to point towards the system, but each one is different.

Memtest is a very good suggestion at this point.
Chkdsk and SFC are also things to do.

What are you using for AV?
Since most of the dumps point towards lower level system operations it could also be a possible cause.

Also look in your event log and see if it is showing any issues there that could help to isolate the cause.

EDIT:
Sorry for the seemingly late post.
I was looking at your dumps when the above were being written.

Prophecy did you get your symbols from the MS site.
I didnt show any issues. Maybe you have an older set.
m
l
a c 215 $ Windows 7
December 27, 2009 9:54:53 PM

Yup... downloaded straight from Microsoft, and all split into folders noting what each symbol pack is.

Guess I'll re-download and try again...
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 27, 2009 10:15:38 PM

TEST YOUR HARDWARE

ATITOOL/FURMARK
PRIME95/LINPACK
WDTOOL
m
l
December 27, 2009 10:54:11 PM

I just ran MemTest86+ again and within the first 10min there were over 240+ errors. So I took out one of the pieces of ram and it ran 1hr 15m without a error. ran the other piece of ram by itself and errors within the first 4min of testing. So I'm going to see if my system is stable for at least a few hours, if not I'll reinstall Win7.

Do you suggest I file a RMA?
m
l
a c 215 $ Windows 7
December 27, 2009 10:58:13 PM

Yes. RMA the ram and test the new set once it arrives. I wouldn't bother reinstalling Windows 7 at all. It's clearly not the problem here.
m
l
December 28, 2009 4:41:54 PM

The_Prophecy said:
Yes. RMA the ram and test the new set once it arrives. I wouldn't bother reinstalling Windows 7 at all. It's clearly not the problem here.

Although it is possible for the memory errors to have caused data errors in the Windows Binary files. Each time Windows installed a patch or changed a setting, there's a chance that bits got flipped.

*If* the computer was fairly new, I'd just reinstall myself.
m
l
a c 215 $ Windows 7
December 28, 2009 5:49:07 PM

Yes, there is always that chance, but I believe Windows has protective mechanisms against that...
m
l
December 28, 2009 6:05:12 PM

I actually did a fresh reinstall last night after I took out the 1 stick of the g.skill 2gb ram. I've gotten 3 black screen crash/BSOD's since. When I have my ATI Catalyst 9.12 hotfix drivers installed I get black screen lockups, but when their not installed I get BSOD's.

I got this BSOD last night:

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

0x00000050 (0xfffff80000a45d44, 0x0000000000000000, 0xfffff8000188a23b, 0x0000000000000000)
m
l
a c 215 $ Windows 7
December 28, 2009 6:43:44 PM

RMA both sticks and then try installing 7 again. MemTest86+, like all software, isn't perfect. There may be something wrong with both sticks.
m
l
December 28, 2009 7:21:25 PM

Such a frustrating situation. :cry:  I will RMA the set and hopefully I receive them back within a reasonable amount of time.
m
l
December 28, 2009 8:36:16 PM

A "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA"
Is usually a driver issue

Give this a whirl to help determine any possible causes.
Yes I know it is a pain in the arse.

Reinstall one more time.
This time add no drivers and try for a time.
Its gonna suck for a while.

Now you have a few different options and your dilligence will prevail.
either

Install AV and get online and try for a day or so.
The reason I say this first is due to AVs ability to touch all files at a very low level and could be a possible cause.

If that goes well add the system drivers one at a time and use for a while.

Then the video driver.
I told you that it would suck.

generally a page fault is caused by something trying to access memory that it shouldnt.

memory issues are usually something trying to find something that isnt there | or getting the incorrect answer.

it would seem that you may have a little of both going on.

I realize that you cant really do this until you get your new memory but it will be worth the effort.

I say this because your other dumps were not page faults.
This is a new exception that could still point back to corruption.

m
l
a c 215 $ Windows 7
December 28, 2009 10:10:58 PM

Yes, PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA is usually a driver issue, but since we already know about the bad ram, SwizzzzZ should start with RMA'ing it, then check again to see if the bluescreens continue.
m
l
December 29, 2009 12:46:07 AM

I seemed to have solved it. I was suggested to edit some of the RAM BIOS settings and it has been problem free for about 5hrs. I have both sticks of ram in there as well. My motherboard settings clocked some of the ram settings below stock and so I guess it wasn't stable.

I changed the Static tRead Value to 7, Command Rate to 2, and upped my DRAM Voltage from 1.8v to 2.0v.

Thank you all for your help :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce: 
m
l
a c 215 $ Windows 7
December 29, 2009 12:54:42 AM

Glad to hear it! Just to be sure though, I would re-test once more with MemTest86+ at the proper timings and voltage settings. Nothing worse than thinking you've figured out a problem, only to have it return a day later.
m
l
December 29, 2009 1:39:55 AM

SwizzzzZ said:
I seemed to have solved it. I was suggested to edit some of the RAM BIOS settings and it has been problem free for about 5hrs. I have both sticks of ram in there as well. My motherboard settings clocked some of the ram settings below stock and so I guess it wasn't stable.

I changed the Static tRead Value to 7, Command Rate to 2, and upped my DRAM Voltage from 1.8v to 2.0v.

Thank you all for your help :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce: 

So it wasn't the OS install after all or driver issues, just the basic BIOS settings? Glad you fixed it! Now please remember the rule "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
m
l
!