XP fails to assign drive letter to USB Card Reader

Running XP Pro, SP2 - my flash card reader fails to show up in Windows
Explorer, since XP fails to assign a drive letter to it. Whenever I
want to use the reader I have to go through the "My Computer-Manage-
Disk Management" routine to assign a new drive letter to it (it's
always "G:"). Everything else indicates that the reader is functioning
correctly, and it is useable as soon as I assign a new drive letter to
it. When I remove the media, it loses it's drive letter again.

Any ideas?

Doug

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:tevp91pkj1vl1s5lu2vkhe24mio9bjvnr6@4ax.com,
Doug Von Gausig <dougvg@commspeed.net> had this to say:

> Running XP Pro, SP2 - my flash card reader fails to show up in Windows
> Explorer, since XP fails to assign a drive letter to it. Whenever I
> want to use the reader I have to go through the "My Computer-Manage-
> Disk Management" routine to assign a new drive letter to it (it's
> always "G:"). Everything else indicates that the reader is functioning
> correctly, and it is useable as soon as I assign a new drive letter to
> it. When I remove the media, it loses it's drive letter again.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Doug

This is not entirely uncommon and the only fix I've seen that seems to work
is taking one of the other drives, assigning it a higher drive letter,
inserting the USB HDD, and then opting to assign it a lower drive letter
assignment. I'd give that a shot first if no one else has a fix on hand.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 02:57:24 -0400, "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com>
wrote:

>In news:tevp91pkj1vl1s5lu2vkhe24mio9bjvnr6@4ax.com,
>Doug Von Gausig <dougvg@commspeed.net> had this to say:

>> Running XP Pro, SP2 - my flash card reader fails to show up in Windows
>> Explorer, since XP fails to assign a drive letter to it. Whenever I
>> want to use the reader I have to go through the "My Computer-Manage-
>> Disk Management" routine to assign a new drive letter to it (it's
>> always "G:"). Everything else indicates that the reader is functioning
>> correctly, and it is useable as soon as I assign a new drive letter to
>> it. When I remove the media, it loses it's drive letter again.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Doug
>
>This is not entirely uncommon and the only fix I've seen that seems to work
>is taking one of the other drives, assigning it a higher drive letter,
>inserting the USB HDD, and then opting to assign it a lower drive letter
>assignment. I'd give that a shot first if no one else has a fix on hand.
>
>Galen

Is this something unique to SanDisk card readers, or to systems with
external hard drives, or any other common trait?

Thanks,
Doug

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:pnor91t3sl9p5psbqsl1s0jg76pb3crsf2@4ax.com,
Doug Von Gausig <dougvg@commspeed.net> had this to say:

> On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 02:57:24 -0400, "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> In news:tevp91pkj1vl1s5lu2vkhe24mio9bjvnr6@4ax.com,
>> Doug Von Gausig <dougvg@commspeed.net> had this to say:

>>> Running XP Pro, SP2 - my flash card reader fails to show up in
>>> Windows Explorer, since XP fails to assign a drive letter to it.
>>> Whenever I want to use the reader I have to go through the "My
>>> Computer-Manage- Disk Management" routine to assign a new drive
>>> letter to it (it's always "G:"). Everything else indicates that the
>>> reader is functioning correctly, and it is useable as soon as I
>>> assign a new drive letter to it. When I remove the media, it loses
>>> it's drive letter again.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>> Doug
>>
>> This is not entirely uncommon and the only fix I've seen that seems
>> to work is taking one of the other drives, assigning it a higher
>> drive letter, inserting the USB HDD, and then opting to assign it a
>> lower drive letter assignment. I'd give that a shot first if no one
>> else has a fix on hand.
>>
>> Galen
>
> Is this something unique to SanDisk card readers, or to systems with
> external hard drives, or any other common trait?
>
> Thanks,
> Doug

It seems to crop up with USB Hard Drives most often but there have been
posts with it having the trouble on card readers or even cameras hooked up
by USB directly. (Thus my failure to edit the cut/paste to say flash card
reader.) Assigning it a low letter and moving another drive to another
letter seems to be the fix for it. I don't know why, I just know that it's
worked with a number of people thus far. Did it work for you?

Galen

Sherlock Holmes