XP fails to assign drive letter to USB Card Reader

Running XP Pro, SP2 - my flash card reader fails to show up in Windows
Explorer, since XP fails to assign a drive letter to it. Whenever I
want to use the reader I have to go through the "My Computer-Manage-
Disk Management" routine to assign a new drive letter to it (it's
always "G:"). Everything else indicates that the reader is functioning
correctly, and it is useable as soon as I assign a new drive letter to
it. When I remove the media, it loses it's drive letter again.

Any ideas?

Doug
3 answers Last reply
More about fails assign drive letter card reader

    In news:tevp91pkj1vl1s5lu2vkhe24mio9bjvnr6@4ax.com,
    Doug Von Gausig <dougvg@commspeed.net> had this to say:

    > Running XP Pro, SP2 - my flash card reader fails to show up in Windows
    > Explorer, since XP fails to assign a drive letter to it. Whenever I
    > want to use the reader I have to go through the "My Computer-Manage-
    > Disk Management" routine to assign a new drive letter to it (it's
    > always "G:"). Everything else indicates that the reader is functioning
    > correctly, and it is useable as soon as I assign a new drive letter to
    > it. When I remove the media, it loses it's drive letter again.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Doug

    This is not entirely uncommon and the only fix I've seen that seems to work
    is taking one of the other drives, assigning it a higher drive letter,
    inserting the USB HDD, and then opting to assign it a lower drive letter
    assignment. I'd give that a shot first if no one else has a fix on hand.

    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes

    On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 02:57:24 -0400, "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    >In news:tevp91pkj1vl1s5lu2vkhe24mio9bjvnr6@4ax.com,
    >Doug Von Gausig <dougvg@commspeed.net> had this to say:

    >> Running XP Pro, SP2 - my flash card reader fails to show up in Windows
    >> Explorer, since XP fails to assign a drive letter to it. Whenever I
    >> want to use the reader I have to go through the "My Computer-Manage-
    >> Disk Management" routine to assign a new drive letter to it (it's
    >> always "G:"). Everything else indicates that the reader is functioning
    >> correctly, and it is useable as soon as I assign a new drive letter to
    >> it. When I remove the media, it loses it's drive letter again.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?
    >>
    >> Doug
    >
    >This is not entirely uncommon and the only fix I've seen that seems to work
    >is taking one of the other drives, assigning it a higher drive letter,
    >inserting the USB HDD, and then opting to assign it a lower drive letter
    >assignment. I'd give that a shot first if no one else has a fix on hand.
    >
    >Galen

    Is this something unique to SanDisk card readers, or to systems with
    external hard drives, or any other common trait?

    Thanks,
    Doug

    In news:pnor91t3sl9p5psbqsl1s0jg76pb3crsf2@4ax.com,
    Doug Von Gausig <dougvg@commspeed.net> had this to say:

    > On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 02:57:24 -0400, "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> In news:tevp91pkj1vl1s5lu2vkhe24mio9bjvnr6@4ax.com,
    >> Doug Von Gausig <dougvg@commspeed.net> had this to say:

    >>> Running XP Pro, SP2 - my flash card reader fails to show up in
    >>> Windows Explorer, since XP fails to assign a drive letter to it.
    >>> Whenever I want to use the reader I have to go through the "My
    >>> Computer-Manage- Disk Management" routine to assign a new drive
    >>> letter to it (it's always "G:"). Everything else indicates that the
    >>> reader is functioning correctly, and it is useable as soon as I
    >>> assign a new drive letter to it. When I remove the media, it loses
    >>> it's drive letter again.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas?
    >>>
    >>> Doug
    >>
    >> This is not entirely uncommon and the only fix I've seen that seems
    >> to work is taking one of the other drives, assigning it a higher
    >> drive letter, inserting the USB HDD, and then opting to assign it a
    >> lower drive letter assignment. I'd give that a shot first if no one
    >> else has a fix on hand.
    >>
    >> Galen
    >
    > Is this something unique to SanDisk card readers, or to systems with
    > external hard drives, or any other common trait?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Doug

    It seems to crop up with USB Hard Drives most often but there have been
    posts with it having the trouble on card readers or even cameras hooked up
    by USB directly. (Thus my failure to edit the cut/paste to say flash card
    reader.) Assigning it a low letter and moving another drive to another
    letter seems to be the fix for it. I don't know why, I just know that it's
    worked with a number of people thus far. Did it work for you?

    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes

Configuration USB Card Reader Windows XP