Sign in with
Your question
Closed

I think I just screwed something up HELP

Last response: in Storage
November 20, 2012 12:35:15 AM

I don't know what the heck I just did but I think I f-d up something. I have two hard drives. One is and ssd that has my OS and files on. The other is a Seagate 2TB drive. I was attempting to assign a letter to the Seagate drive and went with S: . This way I could hopefully pull up the option to choose which one I wanted to download things to whenever I was downloading something. Now I think that Seagate drive is labeled system reserved. And nearly 75% of that drive is used according to the little pie chart. How do I fix this? I am not really sure what to do. Please help.

More about : screwed

a c 119 G Storage
November 20, 2012 1:23:37 AM

What you want to do is look at all the drives that you have because Windows takes a partition of 100MB and calls it system reserved and it may have assigned the drive letter S to it. so on that ystem reserved drive right lick on it and see what the capacity is and that will tell you that your Seagate is still the size it was but maybe it either has another letter or no letter.
If it has no letter then it won't show in computer so you'll have to go to disk management and assign it one.
November 20, 2012 3:06:07 PM

inzone said:
What you want to do is look at all the drives that you have because Windows takes a partition of 100MB and calls it system reserved and it may have assigned the drive letter S to it. so on that ystem reserved drive right lick on it and see what the capacity is and that will tell you that your Seagate is still the size it was but maybe it either has another letter or no letter.
If it has no letter then it won't show in computer so you'll have to go to disk management and assign it one.

Inzone thank you for trying to help. So based on this and the private message you sent me, I am unable to access the ability to name the drive. In the Computer Management tab, under Disk Management, The tab gives me the option to rename both the c: and System reserved S: The Tab above those two drives says Volume. The other drive is not there.

Below it in that box I described where it says Disk 1 1863.02 GB Online. If I right click I am given the menu New spanned volume, New stripped volume, New mirrored volume, and new RAID-5 volume all of these are grey. Below them in black I get Convert to dynamic disk, Convert to GPT disk, Offline, properties, and HELP.

If I go into the Control Panel, Hardware and Sound, Devices and Printers, the drive is there as ST 2000DM001-1C H164
Related resources

Best solution

a c 119 G Storage
November 20, 2012 3:14:11 PM

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop...(v=vs.85).aspx

Go ahead and do the dynamic disk , the disk needs to be able to have a partition created so that it can be formatted and a drive letter assigned. All those options that are greyed out need to be in black so you can select one.

http://www.easeus.com/resource/dynamic-disk-recovery.ht...
November 20, 2012 9:11:47 PM

inzone said:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop...(v=vs.85).aspx

Go ahead and do the dynamic disk , the disk needs to be able to have a partition created so that it can be formatted and a drive letter assigned. All those options that are greyed out need to be in black so you can select one.

http://www.easeus.com/resource/dynamic-disk-recovery.ht...

Same situation as before, except now it says Dynamic under Disk 1. It does not give me any options to partition the disk or to format.
November 20, 2012 9:32:13 PM

Wait. I can click on something that says "New Simple Volume" and it starts up a wizard. Is this what I want to do?

If it is, I just wanted to be sure ahead of time that Dynamic is the right way to go, and not basic? All I am really looking to do is install games, pics, possibly music and video, and do some home work type stuff. Thanks again inzone
November 21, 2012 12:38:40 AM

Best answer selected by Camaro67.
!