ExplosiveEb1

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2010
This is my first time building my own computer and im not sure how to do it excactly. I have picked out all the necessary parts (ithink) and i need to ask u huys a couple of questions

First here are my parts https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=20253168

LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Writer - Bulk - LightScribe Support - OEM

OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTX100G 2.5" 100GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

CORSAIR DOMINATOR 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory Model CMX8GX3M2A1333C9

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX

XCLIO STABLEPOWER 500W 500W ATX Active PFC Power Supply

ZOTAC ZT-40402-10P GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5 AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Thermaltake NVIDIA Edition Black and Green Lining ATX Full Tower Gaming Computer Case w/ 2x 120mm Fan (Front & Rear), 1x Front Colorshift LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top Colorshift LED 200mm Fan, 1x Side Colorshift LED 230mm fan & 1x Delta 120mm Fan

Questions:
1. Will everything work together
2. Am i missing anything/what else is needed to build a pc and knowledge on how to build one. Provide a link if you want. Also whats the purpose of a sound card do i need one or will there still be sound and the sound card just enhances it?
3. Do you think it is a nice build for the price, any help to make it lower and have equal performance will be appreciated. I will be using this computer for a bunch of different things like gaming and maybe video editing nothing too serious. I could probably buy a 500 dollar computer and be fine with it but id just like to know that incase something comes up and i need a powerful computer i will have one(if im foolish enlighten me).
4. Do you deem me worthy of your advice? if so any knowledge you provide will be appreciated.

1. Everything will work together
2. You bought only an SSD? You would need a big capacity HDD for your data.
3. Try to get a better known PSU brand, Corsair, Tagan, Enermax, SIlverstone, Seasonic, PPC, or Antec. You will need more juice for 2 GTX460s, let say 750W.
4. Buying, putting together and trouble shooting : http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/288241-13-read-posting-buyer-guides-troubleshooting
5. Do you already has a copy of Win 7 x64? I don't see it in your list. Don'T forget to get one.
6. It is a nice price(performance system. If you have some budgeting problem, you can drop the SSD and buy it later.
7. 2x4GB RAM is not really necessary for gaming rig, you can reduce it to 2x2GB.
8. Don't forget the monitor, keyboard, mouse, WLAN-card, and/or any peripherals you don't have yet.

Are you gonna SLI? if not you can reduce the mobo specs to one without SLI and the PSU to 500W (I have suggested the 750W, see above)

BTW : We can not open your wish list, I hope it is the same with those components you've posted.

lothdk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
1. Everything should work together well. However there are a few things I would likely change
Only a SSD? you would need a secondary HDD for storage if you intend to do some video editing as you note.
I would most likely go for a AMD Phenom II X4 955 or if you are to do some serious video editing the AMD Phenom II X6 1055T.
If the video editing is only occasionally, I would start out with a single 2x2 GB kit, and see how it fares.
For the PSU I would go with a SeaSonic S12II 620 Bronze, it will be able to run 5870 in crossfire (you can only crossfire on your motherboard, there is no SLI, so no second GTX 460).
If you have no intention of going with a second card (I guess not based on your GTX 460), you can drop down to a cheaper motherboard and PSU, but please let us know your intentions so we can provide better help.
What exactly are you looking for in a case, your choice seems rather expensive?

2. See 1. extra HDD for storage/swap for video editing.
For your usage, I would say the on board sound would be sufficient, and it is easy to install a sound card at a later date should you find it does not live up to your expectations.

3. Drop down the CPU to the AMD Phenom II X4 955 as already stated, and a different case would likely save you a lot of money, but let us know what it is you need.

asteldian

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
If you plan on using two cards in the future you need more power. Like guanyu said, something like a Corsair 750w is good.

While talking 2 card set ups, the motherboard you are buying is a high end one with the ability to have 2 cards, however, due to your build being AMD, the board cannot SLI, only Crossfire - that means you cannot use two GTX460s in it but you could use 2 x 5770s, 2 x 5830s, 2 x 5870s...basically any ATI cards.

If you want to use 2 Nvidia cards (GTX460s) you need a Nvidia chipset board. The problem with this is none of these boards have USB/SATA III.

So, if you want a two card set up you need to change either your graphics card to ATI, or the motherboard to an Nvidia chipset. If you don't want a two card set up then you can change your motherboard to one that has only one PCI E x16 slot - such as the 870/880 boards and keep with the 500W PSU.

Also, as guanyu states, if the rig is mainly for gaming and just casual video editing, 4gb RAM is all you need.

If you are near the limit of your budget, loose the SSD, get a 500gb Samsung Spinpoint F3 and use the money for a better GPU if you are planning on going one card or ATI for Crossfire (either a 5850 or ideally a 5870 assuming you are quite a heavy gamer). Between the money saved on SSD and going down to 4gb RAM you should be able to afford it

ExplosiveEb1

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2010
Thanks everyone, you have supplied me with well needed knowledge and i am changing some of the parts in accordance to it.

Though i have one more favor to ask. It is true that the case is very expensive and i would like to get a cheaper one but i will need some help in choosing.

Im looking for one that has 4 usb ports and while looking at cases i noticed some dont say how many they have. Like this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129058 It says it has USB / Audio / e-SATA but i dont know if this means only one of each or the fact that it has at least 1 of each. Because then this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811124121 says it has 1 x eSATA, 2 x USB 2.0, Hi Definition Audio in/out. So it has 1 eSATA. Im a little confused on how to find the information out

So any help will be appreciated but note i am looking for 4 usb ports

asteldian

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
Are you looking for the ports to be at the front of the machine?
As standard pretty much every case has at least 2 USB ports at the front, and of course at the back of the PC you will have plenty of USB ports - dictated by the number on your mobo
Looking at the pictures, the Antec case has 2 x USB at the front and one eSata

ExplosiveEb1

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2010
I have come to final decision on most of the parts and i owe u all a debt of gratitude, though yet again something eludes me and that would be the power supply. All im in need of is knowledge on how to choose one. What is needed to find out how many watts the power supply should be?

Cokehead

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2010

Graphics cards tend to list what they need, minimum. For SLI, just double that number and add some for buffer. The 955 will take up 125W on it's own (if I remember right), plus all of your other parts use up power as well.

Since you're planning an SLI in the future, the 750W (as others have suggested) would suit you well. However, the more the better - GPUs have been rising in wattage over time, you never know if you'll switch out the SLI. PSUs tend to be more efficient these days, so the extra wattage shouldn't eat your power bill to my knowledge.

Careful not to get unbranded PSUs. They're unwarranted, plus the power on them can be unstable. For cheap parts neither of these are a big deal, but since you're looking at an expensive rig, it would be advisable to stick with the well known brands. An extra $50 is well worth it later down the road when there's a storm and you get unlucky.

lothdk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010

Take a look at the site for your chosen GPU, and see what they advice for min spec, then chose a brand PSU (plus buffer depending on your future upgrade ideas) and you are covered, as they tend to make that advice based on users with a less than stellar PSU should be able to run the video card too.