Corsair 2Gb d3 Xms 1333 cl9
Asus Maximus 3 Extreme lga1156
Asus GTS250 Dark Knight/HTDi/ 1GB DDR3
ANTEC 600(SixHundred) Side Window
Corsair 650w TX+Eps 12v
1TB Seagate 7200
160GB western digital 7200
Samsung xl2330 wide LED screen

I am having problems running my games on high graphics without turning it into a slideshow. I tried running 3D Mark Vantage on my pc a few times but it doesn't finish the tests because the pc reboots itself or it just freezes up. I am thinking about adding another 6GB of RAM because at the moment the pc idles at 50% of memory usage.

my pc is running the following:

Windows 7 64bit ultimate edition
Office 2007 blue edition
3 programs that monitor my fan speeds and temperatures and voltages
Kaspersky 2010 antivirus

Do you think that the extra RAM will help or is there something else wrong with my setup?

Please help

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
More ram won't solve your problem. 6GB is plenty.

Does your system run fine when you're not running intensive graphics?
Is your computer over heating? CPU? GPU?

Run Memtest86 on your ram.
Run Prime95 to torture test your CPU
Run FurMark to torture test your GPU
Run HD Tune to test your Hard Drives

13uzzL1ghtye@r

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2010
I'm currently only running 2GB of RAM. I want to add 6 GB if that will sort out the problem.

The system is fine when not running intense graphics but like i said, it still idles at 50% memmory usage according to Rainmeter.

It used to overheat when i had it overclocked @ 2.83GHz for about 2 weeks but I changed the settings back since the machine overheated the whole time and I only have the stock cooler on the CPU.

I downloaded the programs and will test them tonight on the machine.

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
2 gigs of ram should be sufficient, but these days people are running 4GB just to be safe
and because ram is a better buy at 2 X 2GB.

The 1156 CPUs run cool, so the stock heat sink should be okay. I've had an i7 860 run at 3.8Ghz
and the temps were only about 45C on idle with the stock heat sink.
If you're concerned about the heat, then get a better heatsink like a Prolimatech Megahelems.
Intel makes crappy heatsinks. They shouldn't even be included with their CPUs. I almost always
throw them out.

What temp does your CPU idle at right now? If it's not overclocked, then it should be running
around 32C. Core Temp or Real Temp can display the temps for you.

NeoElemental

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
2x2 would be a sensible and affordable step up at this point. You would get the most "balanced" system if you upgraded the gfx card as well.

You probably either have some sort of temperature problem in your case (which is why you can't make it through the benchmark). Make sure you dust all your intakes, especially on your stock cooler and your gfx card.

What's your current fan setup? List both intakes and outputs and where they are. How hot is the air blowing out of your output fans (you said you had temperature sensors?)?