New build, bad RAM?

fisticufs

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
Hello all.

I purchased a new mobo, RAM, and PSU last week to make a little upgrade on my system. After wiping the old HDD and clean installing windows everything seemed ok at first, but after the second system restart I had my Windows Update freeze on update 20 out of 59. It was legitimately frozen btw, I know that the updates can take some time but I left it running overnight and 8 hours later there was still no progress and no activity, and during the update the screen went black several times, for more than 15 minutes. I powered down the computer and booted it back up seemingly problem free, but after 10 minutes in Windows the system froze up. I rebooted and another 10 or 15 minutes into the Windows session another freeze up. I ran Windows Memory Diagnostic which ALSO froze at 11% completion, but not before telling me hardware errors were detected. I then ran Memtest86 which reported 44 errors on the 3rd test but nothing else so far (currently on test #12, second pass).

The thing that worries me is that sometimes when I would power my system on the computer would not even proceed to POST, it would stay on the initial GIGABYTE motherboard bootup screen (options like Tab=Post Screen, Del=BIOS, F12=Boot Manager, etc.) and after a few seconds the screen would go black and reset to motherboard bootup screen. I'm concerned it could be a motherboard issue. I'm going to test the sticks of RAM one at a time and try to see which one is faulty, but is there a way to clearly determine which piece of hardware is faulty? I dont want to RMA my RAM just to have it be a bad motherboard all along or vice versa. I haven't updated/flashed the BIOS on my build, though I have removed the motherboard battery and jumped the CMOS after formatting my old drive (Windows wouldnt recognize HDD during instal until I did).

Anyway, specs are as follows:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 Yorkfield 3.0GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core
GIGABYTE GA-P45T-ES3G LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Antec EarthWatts EA750 750W Continuous Power ATX12V PSU
Windows 7 64-bit

Thanks for any help

fisticufs

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
This is what i found from Memtest86's website:

Test 7 [Block move, 64 moves]

This test stresses memory by using block move (movsl) instructions and is based on Robert Redelmeier's burnBX test. Memory is initialized with shifting patterns that are inverted every 8 bytes. Then 4mb blocks of memory are moved around using the movsl instruction. After the moves are completed the data patterns are checked. Because the data is checked only after the memory moves are completed it is not possible to know where the error occurred. The addresses reported are only for where the bad pattern was found. Since the moves are constrained to a 8mb segment of memory the failing address will always be less than 8mb away from the reported address. Errors from this test are not used to calculate BadRAM patterns.

So would this mean that its not bad RAM? : \

Also I tried exiting out of Memtest86 to do each stick individually and the program froze...Now when I try to boot it up after turning on the computer, it does not show any activity. Please help! I'm totally stumped!

fisticufs

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
Swapped RAM from another computer to mine that is 2gb 1333 and passed tests just fine. On top of that, the RAM I had (4gb 1600) passed tests in the other computer, so its not the RAM, or is it? Could this be a voltage problem? Maybe BIOS? heeeelllpppp