Sign in with
Your question

Branded PC or Custom built PC...???

Last response: in Systems
August 18, 2010 9:19:21 AM

A BIG HELLO to everyone...!!!

Recently, I found this model of HP Desktop on their website...

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/in/en/ho/WF06b/12454-124...

The features and specs seem to be pretty good for this model. Besides, it looks so beautiful...!!! It costs Rs. 48,000 (Indian Currency) without display and around Rs. 65,000 including a 23 inch Full HD HP display...

Now my question is whether to go for this very model or would it be better to build my own customized machine within this price range? I doubt a customized machine will hardly look as good as a branded one...

And if I go for a customized machine within this price range [Rs. 65,000 (Indian Currency) or USD 1,350], what should be the optimum configuration (I mean what kinda CPU, GPU, RAM etc should I put together)?

I would be using the machine for my exhaustive research works (heavy typing in MS Word, Excel etc), Watching a LOT (I mean it!) of movies, playing some games like IGI-2, NFS, FEAR, FEAR-2, FIFA etc and finally using my guitar and distortion gears etc with the machine...

Besides, should I go for a 32 bit or 64 bit OS (Windows 7)? I heard that 64 bit OS is more powerful but doesn't run most of the useful software like VLC player and all...

Any suggestion would be highly appreciated... Thanks in advance...

More about : branded custom built

August 18, 2010 9:47:17 AM

Build it yourself, you can get a cooler case and better parts. That GPU won't be playing any modern games and it is only a 2 core system which is not ideal for gaming anymore.

It is hard to say due to having no knowledge of your prices, but you should be able to look at:

CPU: i5 750
motherboard: Asus P7P55D E Pro
Alternative motherboard: Gigabyte GA P55 XXX
RAM: 4gb 1600mhz RAM (ideally Corsair or G Skill, and CL 7)
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 500gb/1Tb
Case: Antec 300/HAF 922/CM 690
PSU: Corsair 500W (if cheaper mobo without SLI/XFire) or 750W (if expensive mobo)
GPU: Assuming resolution is 1920 x 1080 you want either GTX 460 (1gb), or ATI 5850

The first motherboard I mentioned is SLI/XFire capable and also USB/SATA III however it is an expensive board so may exceed budget, the second mobo I mentioned has no SLI/XFire or USB/SATA III and was an example - there are plenty of cheap boards to choose from, Gigabyte and Asus the best two brands to look for.

All cases I mentioned are good quality so it depends on price and style prefernce to which you pick

Certainly in American Dollars this build would be affordable and you should be able to fit in a 1920 x 1080 monitor, not sure on price variation for where you are.

I would prefer Windows 7 64 because it allows you to use 4gb RAM and is ideal for gaming.

If this is all too expensive, I would sooner drop to an AMD system build than buy that prebuilt machine
August 18, 2010 10:52:08 AM

Branded PCs have their place - but only cheap ones for nothing more than Word/Excel and casual surfing. If you actually want it to do something it is best to build yourself
Related resources
August 18, 2010 11:18:29 AM

I can second the recommendation already made.

i am running

i5 750 processor (although 760 i5 may be pref nowadays)

gigabyte p55a-ud6 board (cheaper model might be better for you as this only has one x16 pci-e)

ati 5850 graphics card (again if budget if an issue look at a geforce 460, both play games really well and have hdmi)

4gb 1600mhz ram which is run fully by windows 7 64bit rather than 32bit.

700w power supply which is slight overkill when not running crossfire but allows for upgrades in future.

antec 300 case which is cheap and cheerful. just plain black though so may want to look at other "better looking" options

liteon blu ray optical drive. these have come down alot in price and allow blu ray beautiful watching lol

22" lg monitor. this is the only thing i would change as i would like a 23" or 24" monitor and you will do especially for movies. prices for monitors seem to be pretty good atm.

so in summary i would recommend my build as mentioned above. plays all modern games well, great multimedia tool for watching movies and can cope with any tasks easily. i love it! (plus it will be much better than that pre built machine!!)
August 18, 2010 1:22:02 PM

Build, Build, Build

Branded PCs only serve their purpose in the work place. You can buy a lot of them for cheap and image them very quickly. I work for small shop, so we got rid of all our branded machines except for our servers. They just weren't reliable. I have since built up all brand new computers using P55 motherboards, SSDs, and i7 860. Each one of them cost roughly $800 a piece for hardware, where as we were getting Dells and HP boxes for around $1100 a piece. Also, customer support sucks from Dell and HP. I hate talking to India people.
August 18, 2010 1:25:16 PM

i would say build your own all the way

@asteldian, i find that even for the low end, even if it cost more, build it yourself just to have at least decent quality parts
August 18, 2010 1:42:34 PM

I personally always build mine, but if you really don't use your computer for much, you sometimes cannot beat the cheap price of prebuilt computers - usually you are not using the computer enough for the cheap parts to really matter and have a warranty in case it falls apart.

August 18, 2010 1:46:17 PM

asteldian said:
I personally always build mine, but if you really don't use your computer for much, you sometimes cannot beat the cheap price of prebuilt computers - usually you are not using the computer enough for the cheap parts to really matter and have a warranty in case it falls apart.

a 1 year warranty (that is standard) is crap, i expect a computer to be able to run for 3+ years, and then after that 1 year when the crappy hardware fails you are stuck with the cost of repair but with quality components if you build it yourself you usually get 3+ years for each part
August 18, 2010 1:56:59 PM

mindless728 said:
a 1 year warranty (that is standard) is crap, i expect a computer to be able to run for 3+ years, and then after that 1 year when the crappy hardware fails you are stuck with the cost of repair but with quality components if you build it yourself you usually get 3+ years for each part

Speaking of warranty....

I've dealt with the following

Intel - Very fast, no questions asked
AMD - Very fast, no questions asked
OCZ - Also very good, but they don't always have the stock and have to drop ship from Taiwan
Razer - Lots of questions, but once you pass their questions, they'll replace your item
WD - Not that fast, they did replace my product though
ASUS - Lots of questions, but eventually, they did replace my item
Corsair - One of the best warranty replacement
CoolerMaster - Missing parts came in fast
Zalman - Decent

The only thing about this is that you almost always have to pay for shipping.
Also, always save your invoice, that seems to be the only requirement.
August 18, 2010 2:14:21 PM

Whoa!!! A load of suggestions... Thanks a lot guys. In fact, I was wondering if it would be a good idea to get an Intel DP55KG Motherboard with Core i7-860 processor... Yeah I know it won't support Triple Channel RAM... But is the Tri-Channel RAM really any good anyway??? Or I can live without it too...???
August 18, 2010 2:22:05 PM

The Triple channel is nothing great and you wont miss it. But having said that, for gaming the i7 is nothing great over the i5 750/760. Both cost a lot mroe for no real gains, and with an i7 860you don't even get the advantage of full x16/x16 lanes, so stick with i5.

Also, I would go with Asus or Gigabyte motherboards rather than Intel
!