Jun 20, 2010
Sys Info:
Motherboard:Intel 845GBV
Ram: 1GB
Processor: 2Ghz P 4
Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2233SW
Graphic card socket: AGP

Hi guys,

I will not be able to upgrade my system for atleast 1 year.

But I am facing challanges in viewing HD movies hence was thing of purchasing a decent AGP graphics card which is best value for money.

Please advise.

thanks
Harish

hythos

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
Hi Harish -
Almost two years ago I bought an ATI HD 2600 512mb AGP; Ran Fallout3 reasonably well with a P4-2.8Ghz w/2mb PC3200...
About a year ago, I then I picked up an HIS 4670 1GB AGP for about $80; No idea on any OC capability, but that's the best running AGP card I've been able to find. VGA/DVI/HDMI.

It needs AGP 8x, which should be supported by your P4.

4745454b

Titan
The 4650 tends to be the best performing AGP card when you consider price/performance. That slow P4 will hold it back a bunch, but its probably the best buy still. Another one to consider is the 7600GS.

for viewing HD movies you should have a dual core CPU of some sort. You would probablyjust be wasting money on the GFXcard. For a minor performance boost, just get the cheapest AGP card you can get that has hardware video decoding.

hythos

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
** Note - a graphics card with a built-in HDMI will often support audio through the same cable; S-Video can give you high-resolution (not positive on *how* high, or HD), but will require an additional audio-out solution.

This was the model I decided on; At the time, it had a better rebate with a final cost of ~$80
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161337

Of course, if you wouldn't mind an 'open box' (which often means someone found a better deal or purchased the wrong item, but can sometimes mean they fried the card - however I think Newegg tests their returns(?) )
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131329R

You could also save a little with a bit older card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131173

You're in a rough spot with needing AGP, as most of the cards that support HD are newer, and thus are still more costly than they should be - where as PCI-E cards can be found in the $5-10 (reference GF210) with HDMI, and handle HD @ 1080p just fine (haven't tried blueray yet though).

vagabound_s

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2010
Friends,

AGP cards were hard to find.

I went to one of the hardware vendor to ask for best and here is what he has to offer:

AGP Geforce 6600GT 512mb--Rs. 2900 ($65)
AGP ATI Sapphire HD Radeon 3450 512mb--3200 ($75)

Almost same price, can you guys tell me which is better?

thanks,
Harish

4745454b

Titan
3450. The AMD cards that were out when the Nvidia 6 series was out were the x8xx cards. The 8 series was out when the 3xxx came out from AMD. It would support a newer decoder then the 6600GT.

vagabound_s

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2010
4745454b, I think you are right.

Here are the Spec for latest release:

I/O Output: DVI+HDMI
Core Clock: 600 MHz
Memory Clock: Effective 800 MHz
AGP8x/4x bus interface
512MB /64bit DDR2 memory interface
Single Slot Active Cooler
On-Board HDMI, supports video only
On-Board HDMI, supports video only
Shader Model 4.1 Support
SKU Number: 11160-00

Thanks guys for your valuable advice!!!!

vagabound_s

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2010
Hi I bought the HD Radon 3450 512 graphics card and installed it....
now when I try to set the bios settings it show me Max AGP aperture size 256 MB ...is there something wrong?

dirkw83

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2010
Nothing's wrong. Aperture size isn't the card's memory :). If I'm not mistaken, it's used as a sort of virtual memory for video cards.

vagabound_s

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2010

Thank god!....I was thinking that it is max supported memory......

vagabound_s

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2010
Sys Info:
Motherboard:Intel 845GBV
Ram: 1GB
Processor: 2Ghz P 4
Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2233SW
Graphic card: AGP HD Radon 3450 512 MB Ram.

I have set the AGP aperture to 256 MB

I tried using VLAN, KMPlayer, Cyberlink DVD player, etc.

I am able to play 720p movies. However, 1080p movies run in slow motion.

it seems my investment for AGP card is not bearing fruits :(

not sure what is going wrong, Can anyone help?

4745454b

Titan
Have you tried looking for any "run on GPU" in the options for those players? VLC has only recently come out with a copy that will run on the GPU, and for that to work it must be an Nvidia one. I'm not sure about the other two.

I think there is something called windows media player classic:HD. See if that will work with your 3450.

vagabound_s

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2010
Oops! how I forgot to mention that problem. 4745454b thanks for reminding that.

I actually tried the hardware acceleration(I think it makes u to utilize GPU) I also used option "Run on GPU ".

When I do that the the movie seems to runs in normal motion, however the screen is crapy...you cannot see the pictures...it is just green or random color...not even pixelated pictures.

Not sure what is causing that problem.....

4745454b

Titan
Sounds like it can't handle whatever codec is used in the video. I'm not sure what program works best for a case like this. My machines at home are good enough to run 1080p, so I've never had this issue. I would try that WMPC:HD program. I do know I've heard good things about it.

I would think the rest of the PC specs are holding you back.
While the card does have the needed hardware decoding support it doesn't come close to taking the full load off of the CPU and a P4 @2GHz really is pushing it as far as minimum requirements goes. While you may well get away with that with the cards help, the real issue i feel is the 1GB of system Ram.
As you can run 720 fine it would seem logical to me that the issue is with the higher work load and the obvious thing that i can see is the lack of system Ram. Putting in a second GB would only help things but i couldn't guarantee it would solve the issue.

Mactronix

4745454b

Titan
Its my understanding that if the GPU is doing the work, the CPU should basically be idle. I'm not sure how system ram might play into this. I'm also sure the CPU still plays a part, but I would think its a minor one.

Thought just occurred to me, you have loaded the ATI?AMD drivers right? Your not using the basic built into windows ones are you?

All the testing that i can dig up was done with Core2 chips. Got this from Toms.
"Ever since the 2x00 series, ATI’s graphics chips have supported HD video encoding, unburdening the CPU and thus lowering CPU usage. When Power DVD is used to play back high-def content, a Core 2 Duo system equipped with a Radeon HD 2400, 2600, 3450 or 3650 should show a CPU load of between 20 and 30 percent. When the wrong playback software is used, CPU usage can quickly climb to over 60 percent. Similar problems can occur with older releases of Power DVD or OEM versions. As a rule, updating the player software to the current version should reduce CPU usage."

So if using the wrong Software a C2D could be working at up to 60% then a P4 especially one clocked so low would be in trouble I'm guessing.
The key thing is that the software should support UVD.
Here is the article
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/HD-3650-HD-3450-Radeon-ATi,review-30311-2.html

Mactronix