9800GX2 woes

enycepinoy31

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
Hey all, got a 9800GX2 that went dead a while back. At first it would still power up, but BIOS screen had lines basically signifying the card was dying, and most games and win7 aero features stopped working (device mgr recognized the card but had an (!) saying something was wrong). Card finally died a few weeks later, took card out to inspect it and pci-e slots, after plugging back in, continuous mobo beeps and comp didnt start up. Got a buddy to loan me a spare 8600GTS (I've got a Dell XPS 630i with no onboard video), popped it in the primary and worked like a charm. In the hope of trying to save my very expensive 9800gx2 investment, I tried baking it, which somewhat brought it back to life.

Here's the dilemma: By "somewhat" I mean that the card is once again fully recognized by nVidia CP, Win7 Device mgr, GPU-Z. All state no problems with the card. However, this is only when the other card is still connected (i.e. 9800gx2 in primary pci-e, 8800gtx in secondary). If I dare remove the 8800, mobo goes on a beeping blitz and no display on monitor with 9800gx2 alone....simply putting the 8800 in the secondary again makes it as if no problem. The cards are not SLI'd, the 8800 is in the secondary, and yet my system recognizes the 8800 as the primary GPU and not the 9800. Even further, upon startup, the BIOS startup screen doesn't show if monitor is hooked up to 9800, screen only turns on as the win7 splash screen shows. If I attach monitor to 8800 which is in secondary pci-e, it shows all.

I've done all I can to figure out why, I've even gone into BIOS setup to no avail. Are my efforts to save this card going to waste? Is there anything left I can do? Suggestions would be appreciated! Also looking for suggestions for a suitable replacement card and if this card (9800GX2) would be useful as a secondary, SLI'd, and used just for physx? Thanks for all the help!!

-e

enycepinoy31

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
Thanks so far guys! Well I had the 8600 in the primary and the 9800 in the secondary and it worked then, so I figure it might work? It still perplexes me how having the 8600 and the 9800 in either slots works yet alone the 9800 isnt recognized....

Also, the 470 and 5850 are still a bit pricey though I've been eye-ing the new 460s rolling out. Closer to my budget and comparable benchmarks, agree?

I have 2 x HD5850's and I flashed one of them and it went wrong and I ended up bricking my HD5850.

My bricked card wouldn't display at all on its own, then I put the second card in the PC (leaving the bricked card in the primary PCI-E lane, and the monitor cable in the bricked card) and it wouldn't display until windows loaded.
Once in windows it loaded and crossfire was enabled but anything 3D resulted in a BSOD.

stridervm

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2008
Oven your video card. you might be able to salvage some few more months about it, Google it.

As for your temporary video cards. If I remember correctly, the 9800GT can be your primary video card and the 8600GT can be used as a Phsyx processor.

The OP has already mentioned trying that.

mike 06

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
I have the same card, and it recently died. I contacted the manufacturer (tech Support),and they sent me another one, upon the return of my dead card. They stated the 9800GX2 is covered for life. I'm the original purchase,r and I never OCed the system. Good luck