This custom build Vs. customized HP ?

bapc

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Can someone please advice which of these computers will be better in terms of using it for many years, bettering pricing and deal, etc.

I understand that custom build is better because you get to select the components, and it MAY be better quality, but as you can see there is almost a $300 difference between these two. And from what I can tell, it is very similar performance-wise other than the graphics card.

1. Custom Build, $1352 total

Antec 300 case
Antec TP-650 PSU
Asus P7P55D-EVO motherboard
Core i7-870
Thermalright Mux-120 HSF
8GB DDR3 1333 g.skill
GTX 460 1GB gigabyte
4x 500gb seagate 7200.12 7200rpm
Lite-on DVD writer w/ lightscribe

2. HP Build, only $1064 total

Core i7-860
8GB DDR3 1333
1x 1TB 7200rpm
1GB Radeon HD 5570 (or 1GB Geforce GT 320 +$20)
LightScribe DVD+/-R/RW

Difference: $288

Thoughts? Which is a better deal without putting in a custom builder bias. Thank you.

Edit: Please see below post as well.

bapc

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Ok I just did another HP customization to see what I can get for the same price as my custom build...

Core i7-930
12GB DDR3 1333
1x 1TB 7200rpm
1GB Radeon HD 4850
LightScribe DVD+/-R/RW

$1,382 total

Whatcha guys think? What's the good one out of these three?

Timop

Distinguished
Obviously the custom build, MUCH better GPU than either of the HPs and better quality parts.

Though Id switch out the HDs for dual Samsung F3 1TBs.

What are you going to be using this for though? For gaming take out 4GB of RAM, get a i5-750 and you get almost the same performance for about the same price as the first HP.

For web surfing/office/Video, take out the GTX460 for something weaker like a HD5670.

Finally, unless you plan to OC, no need for the cooler.

NeoElemental

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
Quality of components is something that's pretty variable. Not all ddr3 ram is created the same. I mean I understand that not everyone is necessarily proficient at building/fixing their own computer, so it can be good to have warranty and service and all that jazz, but chances are, the better components you buy, the less you have to deal with breakdowns.

I built my computer 6 years ago, and just now the psu failed. Everything else still works fine. I haven't seen a single hp computer last more than 2.5 years...

bapc

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Thanks for the response.

I chose the extra RAM for video editing.

About the hard drives, how would you compare 2x Samsung F3 1TB to 4x Seagate 7200.12 500GB if they are around same price?

2x Samsung is $150, 4x Seagate is $160 (there was a special the other day I ordered this part but I can cancel if necessary).

I didn't realize HP's don't usually go beyond 3 years. I'll stick with my original plan to custom build.

Timop

Distinguished

The Samsungs will be slightly fastee single drives, and provide better stability for RAID0. Honestly I wouldn't suggest RAID0 for more than 2 disks.

Also be sure to look for deals etc. for example pretty much the same build you listed with a couple changes (2x 1TB samsung F3 HDDs and 750W 80+ certified Antec PSU ) for only $1133 shipped ! (all parts listed had Free Shipping and there is also a $30 MIR not included in that price )

build.jpg

mrmotion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
I still have an HP from 6 yrs ago that is working wonderfully. I just added another HDD for another guy at work who's is still running strong. I think it all comes down to if your comfortable with your custom building skills or do want some one to do it for you and catch a warranty with it. There's positives to both sides of this question. You will obviously get the better value by building it yourself but no mfg. warranty. last but not least dont forget your operating system. I didn't see it in your list. Maybe your a linux guy or you got something stashed and ready but dont forget it lol.

bapc

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Thank you for building that.... for a while I was confused how the heck you got it so low, but I just realized because I live in the wonderful heckhole city of Los Angeles, I got to pay a whopping 9.75% sales tax which was over a hundred bucks, and shipping from UPS $25.

I'm still not convinced about the hard drive though... you see my objective was to run RAID0 on C: and use other drives for backup.

Also when I become more experienced in editing I think I would need 3-4 drives. 3-4 Samsung's is very expensive.

Timop

Distinguished

Try Tigerdirect and maybe price match with NCIX.
However i think you aren't far away from a Microcenter, hey have i5-750s for $150.

Yeah the Tax can add a bit !

For the drives I just bought a 500GB WD caviar Blue drive from CompUSA (owned by TigerDirect) here in El Paso for $39.99 and Tigerdirect still has them for that price so 4 of them is only $160 + about $8 for shipping ! ( Linkie ) and they have pretty good performance for that price - and they only charge tax in FL, IL, NC, TX, GA, SD and ID so would be a pretty good deal for you !

bapc

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
I canceled my order with Newegg.

I didn't realize parts can be bought cheaper elsewhere.

After further consideration, $1350 is too much for a computer that has the old tech. With USB 3, SATA 6, SSD's, etc etc coming out, it's probably better to buy or a build a cheap usable computer for now.

Back to the drawing board for me... :)

bapc

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
I was talking with a friend and he pointed out that it would be cheaper to get an iMac and it comes with a better monitor than the one I have.

I'm looking at the iMac specs and it seems to be much slower, core i3. Or is this fast for a Mac?

Should I even consider a Mac?