Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Bios problem, computer won't post.(GA-M78SM-S2H)

Last response: in Motherboards
June 27, 2011 2:30:11 AM

Hello there, I have a problem that has happened to me. The problem is I feel like a giant idiot for doing so, my computer, after a bios update now cannot post and is stuck at a blank screen forever. I went to the gigabyte site and downloaded the @bios(not reading the thread before hand about this program) program to update my mobo(GA-M78SM-S2H) and it went fine, after it finished it asked for restart which I did. Now it won't post and it just stays stuck at a black screen. I think I have really fucked up and was wondering if there is any fix, or is my motherboard now complete trash? I've tried to remove the cmos battery, clearing the cmos but to no luck. I've also tried to test my hardware, PSU,memory,graphic card and switching from my PCI-E to onboard graphics etc and they work fine. Thanks for the replies in advance.

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
June 27, 2011 12:27:49 PM

Hi there & Welcome to Tom's Hardware!

This MB has a single BIOS chip so there is no good backup. There are the 2 terminals on the MB to clear the CMOS which you should try again. If no luck, and you don't get to the splash screen, chuck it up to a learning experience. Is it true that the blank screen comes before the splash screen, not afterward. My Dad used to say when I'd break something "well, someone out there makes that part for a living".

The silver lining is that it will nudge you to explore more recent MB's and probably use most of your present components.
And for what it's worth, we've all been there at some point in time.
June 27, 2011 7:53:51 PM

Thanks for the reply john_vankirk. I've given it a couple more tries to fix it but sadly to no avail. I'll probly buy my buddies mobo and just strip the mobo down for parts and sell it or keep it. Live and learn, oh well, thanks.
m
l
July 7, 2011 1:45:21 AM

Best answer selected by Kaze89.
m
l
!