Monitor refresh rate returning to default on reboot

a b C Monitor
June 1, 2005 9:32:02 AM

I have 2 monitors, A Sun Microsystem and a Dell P1110. The Sun mon. is not
automatically detected by the OS (XP) but the P1110 is. I configured both
monitors for a 75Hz refresh rate. However, on reboot, the Sun always returns
to the 60 Hz default. How do I make the 75Hz refresh rate persistant?

Note: the Sun is connected not using the Sun Work station video cable but
using the secondary 15 pin video cable input.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
June 1, 2005 2:16:16 PM

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 05:32:02 -0700, Barry Barrie wrote:

> I have 2 monitors, A Sun Microsystem and a Dell P1110. The Sun mon. is not
> automatically detected by the OS (XP) but the P1110 is. I configured both
> monitors for a 75Hz refresh rate. However, on reboot, the Sun always returns
> to the 60 Hz default. How do I make the 75Hz refresh rate persistant?
>
> Note: the Sun is connected not using the Sun Work station video cable but
> using the secondary 15 pin video cable input.

If you can find an .INF file for the monitor at the hardware manufacturer's
website, it would add all necessary info for the monitor to the system
configuration. To install an .INF file, right click and select "install"
from the context menu. Once the monitor is correctly identified, the extra
settings that it's capable of handling should become permanently available.

(I have two Samsung TFT monitors, slightly different models. One is always
recognized correctly by XP. The other needs its .INF file installed.)

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Can you clarify the install instructions... what do you mean by "right click
and select "install" from the context menu."? How do I find the "Context
menu"?

"Sharon F" wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 05:32:02 -0700, Barry Barrie wrote:
>
> > I have 2 monitors, A Sun Microsystem and a Dell P1110. The Sun mon. is not
> > automatically detected by the OS (XP) but the P1110 is. I configured both
> > monitors for a 75Hz refresh rate. However, on reboot, the Sun always returns
> > to the 60 Hz default. How do I make the 75Hz refresh rate persistant?
> >
> > Note: the Sun is connected not using the Sun Work station video cable but
> > using the secondary 15 pin video cable input.
>
> If you can find an .INF file for the monitor at the hardware manufacturer's
> website, it would add all necessary info for the monitor to the system
> configuration. To install an .INF file, right click and select "install"
> from the context menu. Once the monitor is correctly identified, the extra
> settings that it's capable of handling should become permanently available.
>
> (I have two Samsung TFT monitors, slightly different models. One is always
> recognized correctly by XP. The other needs its .INF file installed.)
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
June 2, 2005 12:24:27 AM

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 10:30:01 -0700, Barry Barrie wrote:

> Can you clarify the install instructions... what do you mean by "right click
> and select "install" from the context menu."? How do I find the "Context
> menu"?

Download the monitor's .INF file. When the download is done, right click on
the icon for the .INF file. A menu appears when you right click - this is
called a context menu. "Install" will be one of the available commands on
that menu. Click on it (select) and the Windows will take care of the rest.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User