Windows Detected a hard disk problem

bigdiggie

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2012
Ok i have a common problem here..

here's my situation

I Started to ON my Computer last night it beep's (1 Beep) as Google said (DRAM refresh failure)
but there's a Message before it boot-up it says HARD DRIVE BLAH BLAH "STATUS BAD" then press F1 to resume boot-up

After booting up the pop warning came up "Windows Detected a hard disk problem" blah blah..

I've done the "CHKDSK Utility" fix thing it says my HDD is fine i already check device manager the Device is working properly..

but still i'm having this Notification :( :(

can some please? please? :(

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
The only way to find out if your HDD is physically bad & fix the SMART reporting is to edit the SMART values.

I don't think this is possible, but you could see if - http://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html would work.. if not i think the only way you could find out if your disk is really bad is to get - http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm but SpinRite is not free. You could shut it off or possibly edit the values, but you'll want to be aware that your HDD could fail at any moment. SpinRite will not fix any physical damage to the drive but it will help prevent it.. doesn't always mean the hard drive won't fail though they are not built to last. Most people will usually replace the hard drive once an error occurs to prevent any annoyances and you could clone the OS to a new HDD without having to reinstall everything.

What kind of error is your HDD having?

bigdiggie

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2012

for now it's running smoothly.. it's just the notification telling me that may HDD is bad..

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
Well the notification is there to let you know of a possible failure. Looking up the SMART info on your drive will show what happened. Even if your hard drive works now it doesn't mean it will continue to do so for the next 6 months. Just a forewarning to make sure & have everything backed up if you decide to continue using the drive.