This should be quick and easy.

beelphegor

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
Ok so I am building a new comp, but I have a question. I normally just do a reformat so everything is nice and fresh, but I just recently did a reformat. So is it ok for me to just throw everything together, and boot from my old hard drive in safe more and install the new drivers from there? Or do i even need to go into safe mode?
Also, I am assuming that this method would mean I have to get rid of my old drivers so they do not conflict with the new ones. This is the biggest problem I will have since I have never had to do this before. I know there is some sort of driver cleaner program, but I have never used it.

If I can just use my old harddrive and not reformat, and I do have to use a driver clearner, could someone suggest a good program to use? Any advice on how to use it would be appreciated also.

Thanks guys/gals :)

Solution
The safe mode would likely work, DriverSweeper its a pretty decent software for sweeping drivers (lol).

Though you might have to reactivate windows though.

beelphegor

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010

yeah thats what i was afraid of...
is there any chance i could load the drivers b4 i switch it to the new comp? How would this work?

beelphegor

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010

I sure hope so. So that driver sweeper...
When i put my comp together i will boot up in safe mode, and then do i install new drivers then do sweeper? or visa versa?

jaydoubledub

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
If your mobo has a disk with it, I just swapped mine (after a clean install), popped in the disk, then installed drivers. It seems to have done the trick. No safe mode for me. However, I believe safe mode would probably be best.

beelphegor

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
well it went to safe mode just fine, but wouldn't install the mobo drivers lol. I got the gcard drivers to go and just started it in normal windows mode and put on the mobo drivers. Tried to get rid of all the old drivers, but there are three persistant drivers still on there. oh well. Everything seems to be fine. thanks for the help all :)