Sign in with
Your question

Processor Parameters

Last response: in CPUs
November 2, 2010 8:00:34 PM

What's up fellas?

Just hoping you guys could enlighten me regarding the significance of the different processor specs: clockspeed, cache, and core type. What are each of these parameters a measure of? (Getting down to the real nitty gritty tech talk is welcome). And in the end, which of these parameters matters the most for overall performance?

Specifically, I am confused between the best mobile i5 (the 580M) and the best mobile i7 (the 840QM). Dual core versus Quad core? 3 MB Cache versus 8 MB cache? 2.66 Ghz versus 1.86 Ghz? Obviously, the i7 wins in terms of cache and core type. However, the i5 wins in terms of clockspeed and price.

Any input greatly appreciated.

More about : processor parameters

a c 79 à CPUs
November 3, 2010 12:43:05 AM

you need to tell us what you are trying to achieve...different programs have different requirements. Are you using it for gaming? if so, then you need to look more at GPU than CPU. If its just for everyday office work/web browsing then a lower end cpu will be ok.
November 3, 2010 6:27:15 AM

straight forward logic applies. the higher the better. higher clock speed, higher cpu cache, more cores. all +++ no negative positives such as latency etc. it's all math, processing math as fast as possible, and communicating it to the other components in the computer as fast as possible.
Related resources
November 3, 2010 8:07:19 PM

iam2thecrowe said:
you need to tell us what you are trying to achieve...different programs have different requirements. Are you using it for gaming? if so, then you need to look more at GPU than CPU. If its just for everyday office work/web browsing then a lower end cpu will be ok.

Thanks for the reply.

hm.. It's gonna be for everyday use, some gaming, and DAW software i.e., music recording and editing).

What do you think?

November 3, 2010 8:17:43 PM

Frizzo said:
straight forward logic applies. the higher the better. higher clock speed, higher cpu cache, more cores. all +++ no negative positives such as latency etc. it's all math, processing math as fast as possible, and communicating it to the other components in the computer as fast as possible.

So, is 1.8 (TB to 3.2) Ghz with 8mb cache overall better than a 2.6 (TB to 3.3) Ghz w/ 3MB cache?

How much difference will the other make? :) 
!