First build ~$800 gaming computer

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Gaming
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
August 18, 2010 5:43:55 PM

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: next 2 weeks

BUDGET RANGE: ~$800 After Rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: casual gaming, some programming for school, watching movies, surfing the internet

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com, wherever's cheapest

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: US

PARTS PREFERENCES: I was thinking of getting a Core-i5 760

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: This is my first build. I don't need to play the latest games on the best settings, although better would be nice. I'm willing to spend a little more if it's worth it. I can get the Core-i5 760 at Microcenter for $185 after tax :) 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More about : build 800 gaming computer

Best solution

August 18, 2010 7:05:22 PM

I don't keep up to date with newegg.com for deals and things (there are better places for us up here in Canada), but here's the parts I'd recommend... Should be pretty close to your budget.

i5-760 processor
MSI P55-GD55 motherboard (or buy an SLI one if you want to go that route in the future)
4gb GSkill Ripjaws RAM (I use the Red 1600mhz CAS9 stuff a lot)
GTX 460 768mb video card (1gb one is nice too if you want to spend a few more dollars)
550w-ish PSU (those BFG ones are cheap since they went out of business)
Case of your choice (Antec 300? etc)
1tb hard drive (or whatever you'd like)
DVD Burner

I've been recommending that sort of setup for a few of my recent builds, and it ends up working out very nicely. That 460 will keep up with most games as well, and if you picked up an SLI motherboard you could always add another one in later on as well.
August 18, 2010 8:35:37 PM

Thanks! I think I'll try to buy an SLI board. Are there any motherboard brands I should try to stay away from, or are there any that are especially good?

Also is it worth the extra ~$50 to go with the GTX 460 over the HD 5770?

Any more suggestions are appreciated.
m
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
August 18, 2010 8:55:37 PM

I'm not sure I'd buy MSI yet, but I suspect they have improved a lot since all the old horror stories. Not sure; some still won't buy them, but others do. Asus and Gigabyte get a lot of recommendations.
If that's the old BFG PSU, then oh no. Choose a PSU with full range active PFC (no little voltage switch) and 80+ certification. Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, Enermax, and the new XFX are among the better brands. For a single GPU up to a HD5970 or GTX460, 500W is enough; a HD5970 or GTX470 needs 550W, and I believe the GTX480 needs 600W (insane, imho). Add another 100W, 150W, or 200W respectively for multiple GPUs.
Before shelling out for a GPU though, what do you mean by "casual" gaming? If you mean low-demand titles (Flash-based games, Unreal Tournament, Guild Wars, WoW, Diablo II, etc) you could get by with a HD5750 even at your resolution. If you mean titles like Crysis, Metro 2033, or Stalker, then even a HD5870 won't let you max everything. Check some benchmarks, and consider what settings you may be willing to lower.
m
l
August 18, 2010 9:04:42 PM

I agree with Jason's reply.

If you plan to go SLI in the future you need to remember the power supply will need to be more powerful then a 500w generic

the 460 is a great video card but does require some power and if you get a second in the future that PSU will not work.
m
l
August 18, 2010 9:10:05 PM

This is off topic, but what are the better places in Canada jasonw223?
m
l
August 18, 2010 9:12:49 PM

Jtt has some valid points for sure.

MSI boards aren't 'bad,' but yes, I'd personally take a Gigabyte over an MSI if they were similarly priced. What I use myself is an EVGA P55 FTW, which is another company I'm a fan of. That board, as well as the P55 SLI from EVGA have some juicy rebates at the moment too...

Since you mentioned an SLI board, you could look at getting something like a Corsair 650w PSU as well if you wanted to be able to just add in another video card.

Last but not least, yes I'd grab a 460 over the 5770. They are quite a bit more powerful to begin with, plus, if you did add a second one in the future - they scale super well (meaning doubling the cards is closer to doubling the performance).
m
l
August 18, 2010 9:15:02 PM

I buy from NCIX.com most of the time - they usually have some free shipping offers with their weekly sales, plus, they offer pricematching from other Canadian websites. Use that + pricebat.ca or something similar, and you can get yourself the best of newegg, tigerdirect, and all the other sites out there.
m
l
August 18, 2010 10:03:27 PM

Looks beautiful! Here's the 1gb OC option for that video card as well:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Doesn't make much of a difference, but I'd be tempted by the 1gb version. It runs at 715mhz instead of 675 as well, and has a little bit of an overclock on memory also. Either way is great though, good luck!
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
August 18, 2010 10:14:30 PM

For your monitor's resolution, 1GB is probably a safer choice.
m
l
August 19, 2010 12:19:21 AM

Thanks everyone. I'm gonna go with the 1GB GTX 460. I'll keep my eye out for deals on the other components for the next couple of days.
m
l
August 19, 2010 12:19:50 AM

Best answer selected by TheAngryMonkey.
m
l
!