Solved

SSD Raid 0 and back up partition help?

I'm building a new computer and I want to set up 2 120gb OCZ Vertex 3 SSD's (on sale for $50 each on BF) in Raid 0 to get increased performance for windows, games, and programs. And then I want a 2tb 7200rpm 64mb HDD for data. I was wondering how it would work to back up my SSD raid onto a partition of the hard drive. That way I could have a back up of my os and games if one of them failed and needed to be RMA'd. Also, stupid question but when you set up raid 0 you don't lose space because its not redundant correct? So I'd have a 240gb drive together, correct?
3 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about raid back partition help
  1. Best answer
    well first you wont see much performance gains striping two ssd's unless your just benchmarking. second you can partition your data drive and create a backup of your RAID Array no problem using any number of back up software out there already. and yes RAID 0 will show your 2 physical drives as 1 240gb RAID Array.
  2. Best answer selected by Mrcoltux.
  3. I have tried ssd raid-0 before, and there is no benefit in performance for normal desktop work.
    You might even lose unless you have a Z77 based motherboard because you will lose trim support.

My take would be to separate them. Use one for the OS, and the other for game installation.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives NAS / RAID SSD Storage