Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Ram broken?

Last response: in Memory
June 27, 2011 7:17:50 AM

Whenever i attempt to download a game such as SC2 or TF2 i got a ton of errors and the download never finishes. I can download anything else besides games. I maybe my ram but im not the greatest with computer and did a type of test where it checked my "WMATS""MATS+" "INVC" "LRAND" "STRIDE 6" and 95% of the tests all of them failed.

I also got a blue screen saying PFN_List_Corrupt.

Video card: ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series
Motherboard: Biostar Processor: Intel i5 650 @ 3.20GHz(4 CPUs)
Memory: 3064MB RAM

sorry if it doesn't make to much sense im pretty bad with computers.

More about : ram broken

June 27, 2011 9:12:56 AM

There is no way you should be using any component in your PC if it fails 95% of the time!

The PFN_List_Corrupt issue you are seeing is rather likely to be being caused by your RAM. There are other ways this error can occur but it's largely from bad RAM.

You've got a socket 1156 motherboard so you're probably looking to buy new DDR3-1066 or 1333 RAM. I can't tell you exactly what you should buy because you've not provided enough details about your motherboard other than it being from Biostar.

You can use CPU-z to tell us more information about your system. Install and run it and click the motherboard tab then paste the information here.
m
l
a b } Memory
June 27, 2011 1:00:26 PM

Without knowing what motherboard and ram you have, and what settings your using for the ram, nobody can really make any suggestions other than guesses.
m
l
Related resources
June 27, 2011 7:21:06 PM

Biostar IH55A-AHS

Ram: DDR3 Dual Symmetric 2407.7 MHz 4096MBytes
m
l
June 27, 2011 8:07:32 PM

Rusting In Peace said:
There is no way you should be using any component in your PC if it fails 95% of the time!

The PFN_List_Corrupt issue you are seeing is rather likely to be being caused by your RAM. There are other ways this error can occur but it's largely from bad RAM.

You've got a socket 1156 motherboard so you're probably looking to buy new DDR3-1066 or 1333 RAM. I can't tell you exactly what you should buy because you've not provided enough details about your motherboard other than it being from Biostar.

You can use CPU-z to tell us more information about your system. Install and run it and click the motherboard tab then paste the information here.

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/New%20user/Desktop/SALIBA-831A55F8.html is that what ur talking about copying all of it?
m
l
a b } Memory
June 27, 2011 8:14:34 PM

Is this a new problem with a computer that was working fine before, or is this a problem you've had since day one? You need to give more information.
m
l
June 27, 2011 8:17:35 PM

It just happened recently and my browser (Firefox) crashes often
m
l

Best solution

a c 104 } Memory
June 27, 2011 8:17:48 PM

To check out your ram, download and run memtest86+.
You should be able to go through a number of passes without a single error.

If you get an error, rerun the test, one stick at a time to isolate the defective stick.

It is possible that a ram slot is bad, so run a known good stick in each slot.

Ram is cheap these days.
Before you order new ram, go to the ram vendor's web site configurator. Enter your motherboard, and you will get a list of ram kits known to be compatible.
June 27, 2011 8:20:32 PM

geofelt said:
To check out your ram, download and run memtest86+.
You should be able to go through a number of passes without a single error.

If you get an error, rerun the test, one stick at a time to isolate the defective stick.

It is possible that a ram slot is bad, so run a known good stick in each slot.

Ram is cheap these days.
Before you order new ram, go to the ram vendor's web site configurator. Enter your motherboard, and you will get a list of ram kits known to be compatible.

so i burn that onto a CD?
m
l
a c 104 } Memory
June 27, 2011 8:26:40 PM

lakersfan1 said:
so i burn that onto a CD?

Yes, you can also use a floppy, and perhaps a usb stick, but I have not done that.

You boot from the CD, and it loads it's own OS and runs the test.
It is the gold standard for testing ram.
m
l
June 27, 2011 8:54:04 PM

geofelt said:
Yes, you can also use a floppy, and perhaps a usb stick, but I have not done that.

You boot from the CD, and it loads it's own OS and runs the test.
It is the gold standard for testing ram.

Okay so i found out 1 ram had zero errors and the other one had 9900 errors so should i just replace it?
m
l
a c 104 } Memory
June 27, 2011 9:00:21 PM

lakersfan1 said:
Okay so i found out 1 ram had zero errors and the other one had 9900 errors so should i just replace it?

I think I would get a 4gb kit of new ram altogether. It should cost about $40. The extra ram is always good.

Many ram vendors have lifetime warranties, so getting a replacement would be OK.

In the mean time just run with the good stick.
m
l
June 27, 2011 9:02:48 PM

geofelt said:
I think I would get a 4gb kit of new ram altogether. It should cost about $40. The extra ram is always good.

Many ram vendors have lifetime warranties, so getting a replacement would be OK.

In the mean time just run with the good stick.

DO u have like a link of any specific suggestions because im going to go drive to Frys and pick up ram haha
m
l
a b } Memory
June 27, 2011 9:29:51 PM

1.5v ddr3-1333.

Corsair, Gskill, Kingston, etc.
m
l
June 27, 2011 10:04:57 PM

Thank you to everyone that helped im going to replace my RAm and everything will be back to normal
m
l
June 27, 2011 10:06:30 PM

Best answer selected by lakersfan1.
m
l
a c 104 } Memory
June 27, 2011 10:46:12 PM

lakersfan1 said:
DO u have like a link of any specific suggestions because im going to go drive to Frys and pick up ram haha

Have a list of several possibilities before you go to the store.
m
l
June 27, 2011 11:07:49 PM

geofelt said:
Have a list of several possibilities before you go to the store.

you think its a bad idea to get the same ones?
m
l
a c 104 } Memory
June 27, 2011 11:19:50 PM

lakersfan1 said:

As long as the ram is supported by the ram vendor on your motherboard, that is OK.

If you should have a problem, you don't want the motherboard or vendors saying "not my problem; the ram is not supported"
m
l
a b } Memory
June 28, 2011 1:40:55 PM

lakersfan1 said:

Yes it's a bad idea, especially if they are not on the vendor list for your motherboard.

Personally I never even look at the QVL motherboard list for ram, just never had a problem, but if your having problems with it, and it's NOT on the list, I would not buy it again.
m
l
!