Sign in with
Your question

Help me build a good system

Last response: in Systems
August 17, 2010 10:30:27 PM

I haven't built a system in a couple of years and figure it is time to again. Here are the things I would like most in a new desktop.

Powerful
Can play the latest games
Fast
Quiet
Not a thermo-nuclear heat generator
Uses standard (available at most online places) components
Not interested in water cooling or overclocking in particular

Computer will be used for games, software development, music recording (nothing serious)

Budget around $1200 (not including monitor).

Let me know what you think!

Rut

More about : build good system

August 17, 2010 11:18:08 PM

Youll get much more help if this was under the system forum, but heres a rough build that meets your standards.

i5 760 $210
P55 board $160
4GB DDR3 $100
2*GTX460 $400
Mid-tower case $80
650W PSU $80
DVD Burner $20
1TB HDD $75

Total: $1125

Theres also AMD builds available, but for your budget, the i5 build is a good option.
Ill try to get specific pricing up here in a little while.
m
l
Related resources
August 17, 2010 11:20:59 PM

Well, I think a few more questions could be answered such as:
-what parts don't you need? (monitor included or...?)
-What games do you want to play? What settings and FPS are acceptable? What resolution?
-Do you have any brand preferences?
-What kind of software development?

But from what you said, and assuming you need all parts, including a monitor, I'd recommend the following:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The setup is pretty flexible and should leave you about $200 to work with for your personal needs with graphics, a nicer case or a more powerful CPU setup if you need it.
Hope that helps.
m
l
August 17, 2010 11:27:15 PM

i7 870 2.93Ghz CPU $290 a large price reduction makes this a good choice since you're not overclocking.
With no plans to overclock you can leave off the aftermarket CPU cooler and drop the budget $50 there.

Save another $30 getting the excellent Antec 300 case $70
And if you need to fit a copy of Windows 7 into the budget you can change out the HD 5870 video card for a HD 5850.
m
l
August 18, 2010 11:28:32 AM

Thanks. This budget does not include the monitor. I was setting aside around $500 for a monitor but not sure which one yet but probably a decent widescreen isp panel.

As for games, I'm pretty much a First person shooter although I'd like to check out some flight sims also.

Software development is basic windows/business stuff running sql server.

Brand is not important although I've always used intel cpu's in the past.

FPS? Not sure what is considered acceptable these days. I already have dvd burners and hard drives (but was considering a SSD just for the OS and quick boot-ups. Not sure if it is worth it or not.

I already have win 7 64bit.

Thanks,
Rut
m
l
August 18, 2010 11:48:10 AM

Timop said:
Youll get much more help if this was under the system forum, but heres a rough build that meets your standards.

i5 760 $210
P55 board $160
4GB DDR3 $100
2*GTX460 $400
Mid-tower case $80
650W PSU $80
DVD Burner $20
1TB HDD $75

Total: $1125

Theres also AMD builds available, but for your budget, the i5 build is a good option.
Ill try to get specific pricing up here in a little while.

+1 to this build.
m
l
August 18, 2010 3:28:01 PM

unknown_13 said:
+1 to this build.

Your missing the cpu cooler LOL
m
l
August 18, 2010 3:34:30 PM

For a great IPS monitor: Dell U2410 UltraSharp 24" 1920x1200
The usual list price is $599 but there are frequent sales and it shouldn't be hard to find this montior for around $450.

Quote:
Not sure what is considered acceptable these days.
THG publishes comparative hierarchy charts for gaming CPUs and video cards.
Gaming CPU Hierarchy Chart
Graphics Card Hierarchy Chart

There is lots of competition for your SSD $$$ so the prices continue to drop. But for the better models you're still looking at around $150 for 60GB or $300 for 120GB drives.
Corsair Force / OCZ Agiilty 2 60GB and 120GB SSDs
m
l
August 18, 2010 3:43:52 PM

halodude23 said:
Your missing the cpu cooler LOL

If hes not doing major OCing, the stock cooler should be able to push the 760 to 3.6Ghz with a little effort.
m
l
August 18, 2010 3:47:50 PM

Timop said:
If hes not doing major OCing, the stock cooler should be able to push the 760 to 3.6Ghz with a little effort.

The stock cooler is not good at all, I've had it before, I played left 4 dead at 2.66 Ghz with the i7 920 and it went up to 90C... He also wants to play the latest games for example=Crysis, take's up a load on the cpu and GPU.....
m
l
August 18, 2010 3:49:35 PM

halodude23 said:
The stock cooler is not good at all, I've had it before, I played left 4 dead at 2.66 Ghz with the i7 920 and it went up to 90C... He also wants to play the latest games for example=Crysis, take's up a load on the cpu and GPU.....

Remember 920 runs considerably hotter than the 760.
With a decent case, an after market cooler is NOT necessary.
m
l
August 18, 2010 3:53:34 PM
August 18, 2010 4:03:28 PM

I'm sorry, but that not a good build.

For gaming, hes better off with a 955.
For a 1055T, the H50 isn't the best value al all, a Xigmatek for $35 does the job fine and once again, the stock cooler should even be adequate.
Next, The HD is rather slow, and he will see a substantial hit when it comes to loading times, the Caviar greens are designed for storage, not high performance.
Then, there are better Mobos for the money and you have no real crossfire support.
Moreover, the GPU is just weak, you expect to play Crysis on a HD5750? A single GTX460 wold trump that, while dual GTX46s would spank its booty big time XD.
For a single HD5750 even 500W is enough, get a better quality one from Corsair or something.
Theres no need for 8GB of RAM unless he doing heavy video processing or CS5, your just wasting money here.
Finally, WHY are you spending $50 on fans, the 690 has 3 fans already, for the H50, get cheaper and better kazes. Also, having 3 LED fans in a case gets pretty annoying after a while.
m
l
August 18, 2010 4:09:04 PM

srsly? Only HD 5750 for 1920x1200 gaming? and $126 for CPU cooling?
For the same prices as the 5750 and your CPU cooling scheme he could get a HD 5850 video card.
m
l
August 18, 2010 4:28:45 PM

Timop said:
I'm sorry, but that not a good build.

For gaming, hes better off with a 955.
For a 1055T, the H50 isn't the best value al all, a Xigmatek for $35 does the job fine and once again, the stock cooler should even be adequate.
Next, The HD is rather slow, and he will see a substantial hit when it comes to loading times, the Caviar greens are designed for storage, not high performance.
Then, there are better Mobos for the money and you have no real crossfire support.
Moreover, the GPU is just weak, you expect to play Crysis on a HD5750? A single GTX460 wold trump that, while dual GTX46s would spank its booty big time XD.
For a single HD5750 even 500W is enough, get a better quality one from Corsair or something.
Theres no need for 8GB of RAM unless he doing heavy video processing or CS5, your just wasting money here.
Finally, WHY are you spending $50 on fans, the 690 has 3 fans already, for the H50, get cheaper and better kazes. Also, having 3 LED fans in a case gets pretty annoying after a while.

955 Is an x4? He wants to play the latest games that comes out, X6 does the job.
The H50 is pretty good, otherwise you can get a Megahalem or a noctua D14, and it is currently out of stock ATM...Xigmatek fails, If your up for pc gaming why would you use the stock cooler, the HD is slow I know that, he can get an ssd+the hard drive also...
I've tried a GTX 260 with my hard drive, it doesn't lag at all unless it is defective, 2 Slots is enough for crossfire don't you think, why spend more? You could get a 5970 X4 and live with that for years even if you have 1 slot of the x16
The 5570 could handle crysis pretty well, the 460 I know would trump it also remember that it's 60$ more
600 Watt's it on the safe side actually, what if he adds another graphics card, more components, decides to overclock?
8 Gigs of ram is an excellent amount of ram for any game, why does it feel like your just making everything worse when it's pretty good?
You could go cheaper but I think of it this way, does the scythe have a 3 year warranty? Is it DustProof or WaterProof? Is it really that expensive? Some scythe fans are in the $20's range also, but if they broke you have to spend another 20 depending on how many fans you have, the leds can't bother you unless you have your case in your face the whole time, My leds don't even bother me one bit
m
l
August 18, 2010 4:29:18 PM

WR2 said:
srsly? Only HD 5750 for 1920x1200 gaming? and $126 for CPU cooling?
For the same prices as the 5750 and your CPU cooling scheme he could get a HD 5850 video card.

I was gonna get the Noctua D14 but it's out of stock ATM????
m
l
August 18, 2010 4:37:15 PM
August 18, 2010 4:51:03 PM

Eh, where's the 8 GB ? The results are always different, they vary from each persons specs, so I wouldn't worry about that chart
m
l
August 18, 2010 4:54:58 PM

halodude23 said:
Eh, where's the 8 GB ?

It shows the difference between 3GB and 12GB is only~2%, so obviously the difference between 4GB and 8GB should be even less than that.
m
l
August 18, 2010 4:57:35 PM

Timop said:
It shows the difference between 3GB and 12GB is only~2%, so obviously the difference between 4GB and 8GB should be even less than that.

I use a lot of programs, and it requires more than 4 GB, while at it I play my Games, mines usage spikes up to 70% usually....
m
l
August 18, 2010 5:00:16 PM

halodude23 said:
I use a lot of programs, and it requires more than 4 GB, while at it I play my Games, mines usage spikes up to 70% usually....

Like?
Obviously you can load all 8GB, or even 16GB/32GB/64GB/128GB if you have the right software that utilizes it. I'm just saying for gaming and light programming/audio, (what the OP does) 4GB is plenty.
m
l
August 18, 2010 5:05:49 PM

Timop said:
Like?
Obviously you can load all 8GB, or even 16GB/32GB/64GB/128GB if you have the right software that utilizes it. I'm just saying for gaming and light programming/audio, (what the OP does) 4GB is plenty.

I usually play Free FPS Games LOL, and wait here till a new game pops up torrents and play... I just finished Singularity, Yes I understand what you mean he want's it
"Powerful"
Fast
Quiet
m
l
August 18, 2010 5:08:23 PM

halodude23 said:
I usually play Free FPS Games LOL, and wait here till a new game pops up torrents and play... I just finished Singularity, Yes I understand what you mean he want's it
"Powerful"
Fast
Quiet

Like how the HD5750 is the total opposite of "powerful"
He does NOT need 8GB of RAM, you can say all you want, but he would be MUCH better off spending the money on a GPU and if he feels like he really wants 8GB add another 4GB down the road.
m
l
August 18, 2010 5:21:14 PM

Timop said:
He does NOT need 8GB of RAM, you can say all you want, but he would be MUCH better off spending the money on a GPU and if he feels like he really wants 8GB add another 4GB down the road.

Alright then, let's go with 4 Gb, it doesn't really matter to me, we can go with a better gpu, it doesn't matter, ^_^
m
l
August 18, 2010 5:32:31 PM

Timop said:

Should he add this, for a faster boot time and a faster application loading time...? What do you think? he said around 1200, but it will be around 1,250
m
l
August 18, 2010 5:37:34 PM

halodude23 said:
Alright then, let's go with 4 Gb, it doesn't really matter to me, we can go with a better gpu, it doesn't matter, ^_^

I think were getting way ahead of ourselves here, Who know what he actually wants, maybe he could get both. :lol: 

On the SSD, nice choice, depends on what He can take though. However, Id get this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Slightly cheaper after MIR for essentially the same drive.
m
l
August 18, 2010 5:44:37 PM

Timop said:
I think were getting way ahead of ourselves here, Who know what he actually wants, maybe he could get both. :lol: 

On the SSD, nice choice, depends on what He can take though. However, Id get this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Slightly cheaper after MIR for essentially the same drive.

LOL mushkins IOPS is 40,000 faster, just let him choose, I put the extra link if he wanted it
m
l
August 18, 2010 5:46:58 PM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
m
l
August 18, 2010 5:51:30 PM

halodude23 said:
LOL mushkins IOPS is 40,000 faster, just let him choose, I put the extra link if he wanted it

Both uses the SF-1222 controller IIRC, so its just the NAND that's different.

Note "up to"; it could be comparing peak IOPS to sustained IOPS.
m
l
August 18, 2010 6:07:20 PM

Timop said:

eh, i'll just take yours it's 30$$ less even though the Iops are pretty different
m
l
August 18, 2010 6:15:20 PM

Timop said:

Do you think the Noctua D14 fits inside the CoolerMaster case I showed?
m
l
August 19, 2010 1:09:01 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. Didn't mean to spark a fight:) 
I'm not stuck on $1200 but would like to stay in that ball park.

Can someone explain the different cpu memory configurations? Doesn't some require 3 dimms while others in pairs?

Also, with the SSD's, I assume the 60G will really only handle the OS and everything else on HD so will games even benefit from it?

Thanks,
Rut
m
l
August 19, 2010 2:03:55 AM

rutledj said:

Can someone explain the different cpu memory configurations? Doesn't some require 3 dimms while others in pairs?

Also, with the SSD's, I assume the 60G will really only handle the OS and everything else on HD so will games even benefit from it?

Thanks,
Rut

For desktops, only the LGA1366 Core i7s (i7 9XX) support tri-channel, meaning that you could put 3 sticks of RAM odor higher bandwidth, however, like dual channel boards, its fully compatible with dual and single channel.
m
l
August 19, 2010 2:20:21 AM

rutledj said:

Thanks,
Rut

Well Triple Channel and above is faster for sure, you can combine the SSD with the hard drive and make it a Raid Configuration for performance there's tutorials all around this site or the web, it will affect the boot time of the operating system, loading of files, importing exporting of files e.t.c the loading....I would say it affects the performance of pretty much everything
m
l
August 19, 2010 2:20:48 AM

Timop said:
For desktops, only the LGA1366 Core i7s (i7 9XX) support tri-channel, meaning that you could put 3 sticks of RAM odor higher bandwidth, however, like dual channel boards, its fully compatible with dual and single channel.

I was about to say that, but too late lol busy playing my clan wars.....
m
l
August 19, 2010 2:22:53 AM

Whoops, apparently I missed it.
60G is enough for the OS plus 3-5 games.

Win 7 uses 15GB unoptimized and you can bring that even lower,after formatting, you'll have at least 40GB left over for programs and games.
m
l
August 19, 2010 2:50:58 AM

Timop said:
Whoops, apparently I missed it.
60G is enough for the OS plus 3-5 games.

Win 7 uses 15GB unoptimized and you can bring that even lower,after formatting, you'll have at least 40GB left over for programs and games.

You won't really need to install win 7 on the SSD if you don't want to
m
l
August 19, 2010 2:53:56 AM

It's ideal to install the OS and the most frequently used programs on an SSD.
m
l
August 19, 2010 10:08:58 AM

coldsleep said:
It's ideal to install the OS and the most frequently used programs on an SSD.

True, solely depends on his decision
m
l
!