Unreal Tournament and wireless LAN help, please

How can I set up a wireless lan (or maybe UT) to be able to play???
I use a USB-wi-fi adapter on a laptop connected to a router.
There are connected via LAN cable also 4 laptops to router.
The wired-connected ones are able to play, but the wireless-connected
one doesn't enter in the game. I think UT is not able to see the
USB-wifi adapter as a LAN connection.... But I Don't know how to do...

Thanks for Helping....

P.S. are the latest versions of UT, like 2003 or 2004, able to see the
usb-wifi adapter as a LAN connection???

Hi,

> How can I set up a wireless lan (or maybe UT) to be able to play???
> I use a USB-wi-fi adapter on a laptop connected to a router.
> There are connected via LAN cable also 4 laptops to router.
> The wired-connected ones are able to play, but the wireless-connected
> one doesn't enter in the game. I think UT is not able to see the
> USB-wifi adapter as a LAN connection.... But I Don't know how to do...

Games (and other software) don't care about the physical transmission
medium used to implement your LAN. So, I doubt that it's a problem with
UT2004, and more likely an issue with the way that you've setup your
network.

1) Can your laptop (with its wireless connection) "ping" the other
machines on your LAN?

2) Are you running a firewall on your laptop (or router) that might be
blocking UT2004's ports? (I believe these are ports 27900, 28900,
28902, 7777-7778, 7787-7788 UDP/TCP send/receive.)

cheers,
Kris

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 21:03:57 GMT, Mariano Crimaldi
<m.crimaldi@gmail.com> wrote:

>How can I set up a wireless lan (or maybe UT) to be able to play???
>I use a USB-wi-fi adapter on a laptop connected to a router.
>There are connected via LAN cable also 4 laptops to router.
>The wired-connected ones are able to play, but the wireless-connected
>one doesn't enter in the game. I think UT is not able to see the
>USB-wifi adapter as a LAN connection.... But I Don't know how to do...
>
>Thanks for Helping....
>
>P.S. are the latest versions of UT, like 2003 or 2004, able to see the
>usb-wifi adapter as a LAN connection???

Has to be something you are doing with your network, or laptops. I
have a Wi-Fi network here, with 2 laptops and a desktop. I play all
versions of UT, as well as several other FPS games with no problems.

Make sure all computers are seeing each other before gaming. Watch
out for firewalls and security issues, blocked ports, etc.

Mariano Crimaldi wrote:

> How can I set up a wireless lan (or maybe UT) to be able to play???
> I use a USB-wi-fi adapter on a laptop connected to a router.
> There are connected via LAN cable also 4 laptops to router.
> The wired-connected ones are able to play, but the wireless-connected
> one doesn't enter in the game. I think UT is not able to see the
> USB-wifi adapter as a LAN connection.... But I Don't know how to do...
>
> Thanks for Helping....
>
> P.S. are the latest versions of UT, like 2003 or 2004, able to see the
> usb-wifi adapter as a LAN connection???

My guess is that you have the Microsoft Internet Firewall turned on, on
the laptop that can't play.

Lisa

Darmok ha scritto:
> Has to be something you are doing with your network, or laptops. I
> have a Wi-Fi network here, with 2 laptops and a desktop. I play all
> versions of UT, as well as several other FPS games with no problems.
>
> Make sure all computers are seeing each other before gaming. Watch
> out for firewalls and security issues, blocked ports, etc.

Only wireless connected laptop isn't able to see other computers. The
wired ones are able to.
I've disabilitated sygate firewall too....

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 15:04:19 GMT, Mariano Crimaldi
<m.crimaldi@gmail.com> wrote:

>Darmok ha scritto:
> > Has to be something you are doing with your network, or laptops. I
>> have a Wi-Fi network here, with 2 laptops and a desktop. I play all
>> versions of UT, as well as several other FPS games with no problems.
>>
>> Make sure all computers are seeing each other before gaming. Watch
>> out for firewalls and security issues, blocked ports, etc.
>
>Only wireless connected laptop isn't able to see other computers. The
>wired ones are able to.
>I've disabilitated sygate firewall too....

Just a thought. What mode are you running your Wi-Fi in?
Infrastructure or Ad-Hoc? I think you should be running in
Infrastructure mode .. NOT Ad-Hoc.

Darmok ha scritto:

> Just a thought. What mode are you running your Wi-Fi in?
> Infrastructure or Ad-Hoc? I think you should be running in
> Infrastructure mode .. NOT Ad-Hoc.

Infrastructure mode...
In the end is it a firewall matter?????

Mariano Crimaldi wrote:

> Darmok ha scritto:
>
> > Just a thought. What mode are you running your Wi-Fi in?
> > Infrastructure or Ad-Hoc? I think you should be running in
> > Infrastructure mode .. NOT Ad-Hoc.
> >

> Infrastructure mode...
> In the end is it a firewall matter?????

Did you say if you are running the Windows firewall or not? If you are,
turning it off will likely fix your problem.

Lisa

Lisa Horton ha scritto:
> Did you say if you are running the Windows firewall or not? If you are,
> turning it off will likely fix your problem.
>
> Lisa

No windows firewall is running...
I think it's a LAn configuration matter... Like setting IPs or something
like this...

Mariano Crimaldi wrote:

> Lisa Horton ha scritto:
> > Did you say if you are running the Windows firewall or not? If you are,
> > turning it off will likely fix your problem.
> >
> > Lisa
>
> No windows firewall is running...
> I think it's a LAn configuration matter... Like setting IPs or something
> like this...

Can the laptop do other network functions, like Internet or file
sharing, etc? In other words, have you verified that the laptop has a
functioning wireless connection? If not, we can help you troubleshoot
that.

Lisa

Andrew

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 12:51:59 GMT, Mariano Crimaldi
<m.crimaldi@gmail.com> wrote:

>No windows firewall is running...
>I think it's a LAn configuration matter... Like setting IPs or something
>like this...

Are you using static local IP's or using DHCP to assign them? Static
IP's would probably be preferable.

Flash

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2001

Mariano Crimaldi wrote:
> No windows firewall is running...
> I think it's a LAn configuration matter... Like setting IPs or something
> like this...

Could be...

Try setting all to 192.168.0.x - where x is 1 through 255
Use netmask 255.255.255.0 for all.

(Also could use 10.0.0.x, private subgroups are 192.168.*.* or 10.0.*.*
ONLY, anything else is likely to break lots of things. If the IP you
have isn't in one of those, check that it's not your dialup adapter (or
mac equivalent) or changing it could knock you off the internet. Maybe
not a problem though.)

--
Flash

TRENDING THREADS