Hard Drive Security - Password in Bios

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
a b 8 Security
December 6, 2004 11:50:13 PM

I have a fujitsu lifebook that has
password protection for the hard drive in the BIOS.
I am sure this type of security is similar to other laptops.
How secure is such protection?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b 8 Security
December 7, 2004 1:43:54 PM

I'm pretty sure that the password is stored in firmware on the harddrive,
requires a hardware hack to bypass it... So just moving the harddrive to
another computer won't do it...

But of course, given the resources and the will, the drive will still be
able to be read, just not easily.

Al...

<piclistguy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have a fujitsu lifebook that has
> password protection for the hard drive in the BIOS.
> I am sure this type of security is similar to other laptops.
> How secure is such protection?

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b 8 Security
December 7, 2004 2:00:15 PM

piclistguy@yahoo.com wrote:
>I have a fujitsu lifebook that has
>password protection for the hard drive in the BIOS.
>I am sure this type of security is similar to other laptops.
>How secure is such protection?

As far as we know, it's pretty secure, as it's in the hard drive, and
even swapping hard drive control boards doesn't make it functional. I
would consider a laptop hard drive with an unknown password to be
scrap (easier to replace than make functional).

I've got a custom BIOS splash screen, BIOS password, my phone number
in the asset tag, and passwords on both of my hard drives. I'm
reasonably confident that a theif would be unable to access my data,
and that he'd make more money returning it to me for the reward than
he would selling it elsewhere. I'm still somewhat paranoid about
losing it, as replacing it would cost a lot of time and money.
a b D Laptop
a b 8 Security
December 7, 2004 2:42:09 PM

piclistguy@yahoo.com wrote in news:1102395013.121276.291170
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

> I have a fujitsu lifebook that has
> password protection for the hard drive in the BIOS.
> I am sure this type of security is similar to other laptops.
> How secure is such protection?

When I inquired about this for my Dell, I was informed that there is a
company (I don't recall the name) that the hard drive can be shipped to, to
removed that protection.

--
Tom McCune
December 8, 2004 12:10:49 AM