TX650, powerware5110, surge protector & an old SUN PRO psu

Status
Not open for further replies.

aluminiumframe

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
Hey everyone!

there is a fair few knowledgeable techies here, so i'll ask away :)

Hope you can show me a thing or two, explanations along directions would be appreciated and be an eyeopener :)

I have a rig,

CPU :AMD x2 240 (2.8GHz) with a 122w idle draw and 153watt full load draw (both cores).

My GPU, a 9600gt 1gb card requires 26amps on the 12volt line, which is the IMPORTANT stat if you will bear with me and 400watts.

plus 1HD and a DVD rom drive.

now, I used to run the PSU that came with my Gigatech case (a pretty nice case by me) and since I had the money for the build it was built for me for a budget by a techie. I knew the psu was not up to par, but i was on a budget, and now recently I pulled it out after buying a BRAND NEW TX650watt (hooray) corsair for 70bucks :D

my old psu: ATX-550watt SUN PRO with a HIDEOUS 17a on the 12volt line!!!! (they rated it 550w by ramping up the 5v line to 38a!!!)

Question:
I have had no problems running games on full load with the old PSU, but after reading how underrated the amp on the 12 volt line was, I am worried if there has been damage that I cant possible check for unless I use a voltmeter and test every capacitor on my board and card.

1) is there damage, what do you experts think?
the temperature readings have always been the same since i bought the system, of course this is onboard software readings.

2)Would installing my new, first branded psu ever, the TX650W, damage the PSU if the components are damaged? I love the new PSU, its BEAUTIFUL!

3)Hooking up my pc, which might/might not have a draw of over 350w to a powerware 5110 UPS (max load of 350watts), can someone calculate the watt requirements more accurately (from personal experience or reviews) of my system (as I dont think the outervision online calculator is that accurate) and reccomend me a course of action in plugging in my new TX650W into the UPS? Are they in any form not compatible if watt-wise im safe?

4) I run a surge protector off the wall, with a 4 plug board plugged into> the surge protector adaptor plugged into> the wall.
Is it better to plug the desktop into the> surge protector adaptor then plug into> the 4 plug board into> the wall?
(in the event I shouldn't/cant use my UPS)

thanks guys :) :hello:

Solution
A 9600GT does NOT require 26A on the 12V rail, their test system is a beast with an Intel Extreme Edition. The TDP of the 9600GT is 95W, the athlon II x2 240 is rated at 65W, plus about 30 for the board and goodies in the case and you are only at 190W, a bit close to the limit of the unit but it obviously never killed itself so there shouldnt be any damage to the system, you would have known if the PSU was having trouble, they arent subtle about it.

Hooking up the 650TX isnt going to damage anything so swap out the old crappy one for the shiny new one.
A 9600GT does NOT require 26A on the 12V rail, their test system is a beast with an Intel Extreme Edition. The TDP of the 9600GT is 95W, the athlon II x2 240 is rated at 65W, plus about 30 for the board and goodies in the case and you are only at 190W, a bit close to the limit of the unit but it obviously never killed itself so there shouldnt be any damage to the system, you would have known if the PSU was having trouble, they arent subtle about it.

Hooking up the 650TX isnt going to damage anything so swap out the old crappy one for the shiny new one.

Solution

aluminiumframe

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010

wow thanks Hunter! :) thats an awesome answer :)

im learning something new...

in regards to the PSU letting me know about trouble :kaola: whenever I turn on the power at the wall, and leave it for a while before switching on the computer the system is fine. however if I turn the switch on the wall outlet on, then turn on the computer like 10seconds later it makes a loud fan-like noise, not sure if its a coil. it only happens if i dont let it "warm up".

do you know why this happens? very curious about this..

is this the psu giving way? also a first, there was a screeching-like noise the other day when starting need for speed underground 2 game. which led me to replace the psu, just in case. will turn it on soon.

Not sure on that one, if its making noises i would definitely swap it out ASAP. It might be taking a bit too long to charge up the input side and isnt fully ready when you go to flip it on. Weird noises from a power supply are a sign that something isnt quite right so its always a good idea to swap it out there.

aluminiumframe

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
wow, i can't believe the test system is a beast using an Intel Extreme Edition!!

i've just finished swapping the psu, took me ages as i wanted to be careful and tidy it up as I go along. looks really good now, i'll post a picture up in an hour or so :D

thanks hunter, i agree about the question bit in your avatar :)

aluminiumframe

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
oh, and a quick one, does it matter which end of the power cable the hard drive and ddvd is connectted to? its a serial power cable, with 4 connectors that are the same. i put it in the last connector for the hd (no4) and the first for the dvd

It doesnt matter which connector on the line you pick they are all the same, pick one that leads to nice cable management.

The reason for using that beast of a test system is that its highly unlikely someone will have an even beastier test system so their recommended power amount is more than enough and anyone who follows their recommendations should have plenty of power available for the system and the card.

Status
Not open for further replies.