Sign in with
Your question
Closed

I5 760 2.8 Ghz temps OK?

Last response: in CPUs
November 3, 2010 12:19:43 AM

Hello!

I was wondering if my i5 760 is running OK. I didn't do any extensive testing yet, but will do soon, however, I got a spike of 63*C under 80% load in some games. Is the temperature OK for this CPU, or should I be worried?

Aslo, I use a Scythe Ninja Plus Rev. B on the i5. I know it's not supported, but I have a ASRock Extreme mobo with support for older LGA775 coolers, so I used my old Ninja on the i5. Had some problems installing the pushpins, though. I managed to get 3 of them secured, but the last one is locked in a position at about 1/2 mm of the ideal setup and I was wondering if this would affect my cooling performance. I used Arctic Silver 3 on it, and I get about 38-40*C ambient temp. Room temp is at about 26*C.

Thanks!

More about : 760 ghz temps

a b à CPUs
November 3, 2010 12:22:17 AM

That last push pin might be causing it absolutely. What you can do is do a load test with the cover/ door open, and put a finger on the heat sick to see if that helps temperatures go down.
Score
November 3, 2010 12:38:52 AM

sportsfanboy said:
That last push pin might be causing it absolutely. What you can do is do a load test with the cover/ door open, and put a finger on the heat sick to see if that helps temperatures go down.

Just run Prime95 on it and got 70*C spike after about 10 min. :( 

I don't really think I can get the Scythe to install correctly on it. I can't seem to push that final pin all the way in, and I now think that this is the reason for the temps. Unfortunately, I only have this cooler and the stock one. At this point, I don't think the stock intel cooler would go this high in temps (it should be rated for safe use under full load, hopefully).

Any recommendation for the pushpin installation? As I said, I can't seem to make all 4 pins stick to the socket. I am worried if I push it harder I might damage the board...
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a b à CPUs
November 3, 2010 1:29:40 AM

Try opposing corners if you haven't already.
November 3, 2010 3:07:50 AM

Also, I am considering changing the Ninja's CPU fan...the one it has now is non-pwm at 1200rpm @ about 57 cfm.
The new version of the Scythe Ninja 3, comes with a 1900 rpm PWM fan @ ~110cfm. So, at max rpm should provide 2x the airflow of this model. Might this be the problem?
Keep in mind the Ninja Plus rev. B wasn't made for the 1156 socket...
Score
November 3, 2010 10:10:10 PM

I just installed the cooler again. Also, I positioned a Scythe Ultra Kaze 120mm 3000 rpm, currently at 1200 rpm, in the back of the case (NOX Raiden - http://www.nox-xtreme.com/products_uk.php?cat=1&type=0&...) to pull the air coming from the Ninja cooler (which now has an Arctic Cooling F12 1350 rpm on it). The case has one additional fan at the top (Scythe SlipStream 120mm 1200 rpm), one at the bottom, right next to the PSU, and one in front (both of them came included with the case - they are 120mm too).
The temps for the 4 cores at idle (will test soon with Prime95) are, as follows:
35, 30, 35, 29.
Ambient temp is at 34*C and the room is currently at 25*C.

Will post soon the Prime95 results.
Score
November 3, 2010 10:42:37 PM

Prime95 (InPlace large...) are, after about 1 hour of no change in the temps, as follows:
61*C, 57*C, 58*C, 55*C.

Overall, I would say, a good result. The extra ventilation does seem to help, and the cooler installation seems to be OK, too. I am feeling a bit relaxed now that the temps seem OK.
Score
November 3, 2010 10:44:18 PM

Best answer selected by Bibanu21.
Score
a b à CPUs
November 3, 2010 11:31:12 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!