Speed of latest GB MB PCI slots

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hello,

Anyone have any insight as to the max data transfer rate of the PCI slots on the latest, P67, Z68 motherboards?

The PCI-e slots are listed as PCI-e 2.0 standard, which would spec them at 500 MB/s per channel, but I don't see any standard listed for the PCI slots.

The are spec'd at 33 MHz, 64 bit, which logically would put them at 268 MB/s using the PCI 2.0 standard.

Is that the max transfer rate for PCI slots or did they get updated to the 4 data bits per clock cycle, which could push them to even fasted?

I'm sure someone will ask, why bother with PCI? Well, on even the X68 boards, there are 2 PCI slots, and PCI wireless N cards in use that can max out faster than the 268 rate.

Internet/wireless transfer rates don't use the same units as other transfer rates.

Internet/wireless transfer rates are usually in megabits per second, but other transfer rates are usually in megabytes per second. There are eight megabits per megabyte. 268 megabytes per second equals 2,144 megabits per second. I don't know of any wireless N transfer rates anywhere near that. Do you?

Why do they use the different transfer rates? It's a marketing thing to make the numbers larger.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi again,

Thanks for both the responses! Knew very well, but wasn't thinking about the labelling differences. The wireless N cards can get up to 300 Mb/s, which converts back to 37.5 MB/s. Good points from all!

I've always thought of the HDD's transfer rates in MB/s, and all else in Mb/s. Now that we have the SATA III's advertising at 6 Gb/s which is really 4800 Mb/s, it really muddies the water. And after a while, everything will take the marketing for gospel.

Everyone feel the older PCI 2.0 transfer rate of 268 MB/s is/was the max

The initial PCI-e 1.1 x1 was 250 MB/s

And the present PCI-e 2.0 x1 is 500 MB/s, and on up depending on the channels, so PCI-e x16 is moving at 8000 MB/s?

I figured and I was trying to make a bold point, use wired obviously but I know what it takes to wire a home/office with CAT-6. so my real suggestion is Powerline which is a HUGE difference; see -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sue1Zvmh8JA

My home and office is wired CAT-6, BUT I made an oopsy for 1 TV and never thought a PC would be sitting pretty where there was no wired connection. So I've been using Powerline to fix the dumb me.

Check-out the comparisons, and if you Network, NetFlix, etc it's all the difference in the world and never the yo-yo speeds. :)

BTW - they're cheap AND secure... Newegg -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&Description=Powerline&bop=And&Order=REVIEWS&PageSize=20