Sign in with
Your question

Raid 5 critical

Last response: in Storage
November 20, 2012 7:13:48 PM

Hello :) 

RaidXpert said that my Raid5 was critical. So i read online that i i had to buy a new disk, so i did. When i got the new disk i replaced it with the one that was "missing or damaged" in the raid startup utility (dont know what its called. The Raid configurator that is on boot). When i opened the raid configurator after replacing it, it didnt say "critical" any more. It said Off line. I clicked "View LD", and i saw that it was two disks missing or damaged now. I dont know what to do about it, it wasnt me who set it up, it was my friend who i dont hang out with anymore. If i put the damaged disk in again, it goes back to critical. The raid works just fine in windows when its in critical, but not when offline, ofcoruse.
Any help would be appreciated.

More about : raid critical

a c 80 G Storage
November 20, 2012 8:23:03 PM

It seems like you are replacing the wrong disk. If you go to "View LD", what does it say? Which disk is missing?
November 21, 2012 10:42:02 AM

ss202sl said:
It seems like you are replacing the wrong disk. If you go to "View LD", what does it say? Which disk is missing?

Thanks for reply.
Im pretty sure i replaced the right disk.
This is wierd, it looks like only one healthy disk shows if i replace the destroyed disk.

This is very hard to explain in text, but i´ll give it a go:

Before i replaced the disk (when it said "critical") the raid worked perfectly fine, only that one of the disks were "missing". All my files were still there. In the LD it said that disk on SATAport 3 and 4 worked, but one were missing or damaged

So i opened the cabinet and replaced the disk i had on port 1.

When i opened the LD now, two were missing, even if the two old healthy disks were still connected. The funny thing is that, if i disconnect the one disk that shows as healthy, the other old healthy disk appears, after being "disconnected or damaged" from before.

Maybe i have missed something, i remember doing something with the disk before using it in raid. (AHCI something)
!