Will Having A Second Harddrive Full Slow Down PC?

thomasd221

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
Hi, i just installed a 500gb wd sata hard drive, seems to be working well at the minute. So my question, if i fill this second hard drive up with torrents, dvd's and games, will it slow down my computer if i keep C: Drive clean?

Rest of specs:

Core 2 Duo e8400 @3.47GHz
4GB DDR2 ram
nvidia geforce 8600gt 256 ddr3
windows 7 ultimate 64bit
2x 500gb western digital hard drives.

So, will it slow it down??

Thanks for your time! :D

JKatwyopc

Distinguished
It might slow it down slightly if you get the second drive completely full because windows will start sending you messages about the disk being extremely low on available space. However, that's more annoying than anything else. Just don't let it get completely full. Leave around 5% free space.

thomasd221

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

Ok, thanks. Do you think it's a good drive? It's a WDC WD5000AAKS from around 2007, do you think it'll hold up well, i have a similar one for C: drive.

Thanks!

ram1009

Distinguished

Personally, I would have retired that drive 2 years ago. They don't last forever. I would keep it backed up if you value the data.

JKatwyopc

Distinguished

IMO, any drive that still works is a good drive. Western Digital has a good reputation and their drives generally last a long time. If you think it might be getting too old then just be sure to do regular backups of any data that you can't afford to lose.

ram1009

Distinguished

I've used WD exclusively for over 15 years and consider them as good as any & better than most but that doesn't alter the fact that any HDD can fail any time and the failure rate increases exponentially after 3 years. Using an old drive is playing with fire. Sooner or later you get burned. I've been burned.