Dropping a ghost image on a raid 0 array

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Hi all, I'm currently using 1 hardrive and I want to have a raid 0 array with 2 hardrives. I want to take an image of my current hardrive using ghost, then add the second hardrive, configure it to be raid 0, then drop the image back onto this new raid 0 array. will this work? will it take advantage of raid 0 or should I just install my Windows 7 64bit from scratch?

Always best to install from scratch. But, you *might* be able to do it if you preload the RAID driver before you make the image. Not entirely sure.

If you want fast, you're much better off buying an SSD for the OS and select programs then using the HDD for data (music, movies, pics). That's my valueless opinion, anyway.

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
SSDs are two small and expensive right now. I have two extra 500gb hardrives and I want to use them and experiment with raid. so if I install the two hardrives, go into the bios and set them at raid 0, then boot with my Windows 7 disc to install windows, will windows see both hardrives as one 1TB hardrive and install windows on both?

tripledouce

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
it all about the software interfacing with the hardware. which means drivers. ghost software only has RAID support in its enterprise version. plus putting an image of win7 without the RAID drivers installed on the OS will not work.