Merging Hard Drives

Hi,

I'm running out of space on my C: Drive. Currently a 60gb SSD. Is it possible to add another hard drive and merge the drives (add space to current C drive)?

Thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about merging hard drives
  1. You can possibly add a drive and mount it as a folder and then move your user data to that folder so that space is free on the system drive.

Or you could simply add another drive as D: and do the same thing.

However, expending the size of your partition is not an option that any MB out there allows for that I know of outside of a RAID configuration.
  2. ggallucci said:
    Hi,

I'm running out of space on my C: Drive. Currently a 60gb SSD. Is it possible to add another hard drive and merge the drives (add space to current C drive)?

Thanks
    Short answer is no.

You can't add space to a drive that has a finite space limit, in your case 60GB. You can physically add another drive but that won't expand or merge the space of your SSD. The best solution is to add another Hard Drive and transfer all extra or unneeded files over to the second drive and if that does not give you enough space then uninstalling any large apps from C: and then reinstalling to your new Hard drive will relieve some space as well as changing the location of your swap file from C: to the other drive.
  3. ggallucci said:
    Hi,

Thanks

A 60GB SSD won't even hold 60GB as you're finding out. Your MB is not a factor here. You need another drive and the bigger the better.....always. You can never have too much storage. You can use the second drive for storage and leave the boot drive alone or migrate some data/programs to the second drive.
  4. I was hoping to aviod adding yet another drive, but it seems like that is not possible.
    Is it possible to just move the User folder or is there a process invloved with that.

Thanks
  5. I was hoping to aviod adding yet another drive

You're out of space. There is no option.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives SSD Storage