My graphics card is running at close to 90 C. Is this okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snx

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
I've got a slim tower PC so there's not much room in there for extra fans or anything(that I know of). My low profile graphics card after playing Metro 2033 got up to like 87 C(187 F). That is as high as its got since installing the temp. monitor program yesterday. Really heats up my room.

The card is a 1 GB Radeon 5570 if that matters.

snx

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
Got up to 90 C. A new high. Not good I think.

I'll look and see. I'm not really sure what I'm doing though, so I should replace the fan. By case fan I'm guessing you're talking about this one and not the one on the GFX card.

sx2800-interior_maxwidth.jpg

Also the graphics card in my system(same model as pictured) goes into the very top slot. Pretty cramped up there.

yippy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
My GF8800 in a micro ATX casing got up to 80degrees C before. I i removed the side panel of the casing and installed a fan blowing directly at the fan of the G-card. Additionally i used a stand fan to blow at it and myself lol. But be warned that that introduces a lot of dust into the system. I managed to get the temperature down to 56 degrees C. the climate is warm here in south east asia.

That appears to be your CPU fan. I'm betting there are no case fans in that system.

snx

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010

There isn't much space at all, had a little trouble fitting the card in the slot cause of a wire that had to be moved but there wasn't much place to move said wire.

I'll probably just keep my system as it is. Sure it can get up to 90 C but thats rare. It will easily get up to 86-87 C though. I'm fine with it. I've had the card for 4 months now and nothing bad to my system has happened yet. Beat like 4 PC Games in that time also... many hours played according to Steam.

Damn Gateway for putting the slot at the top like that, oh well. I'm stuck with this system.

Would be nice to have a silent PC or one that didn't heat my room, but its not really necessary.

I'm just glad I have a PC that can play all the latest games. And if I'm not playing games the thing is pretty quiet.

At least in a few months when its winter, the heat from the card won't bother me as much.

faune

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010

+1^ to gellert & asteldian

90'C is within "the range" (100 and over is the danger zone) but is too hot for most peoples tastes. It's also probably not good for your cards longevity. My advice to you is to get a bigger case and add a fan or two (at least one exhaust and one intake) and good cable management. Worked for me.

I was having a similar problem with my ATi HD 5770 in a Micro ATX case. It would idle at around 50'C-55'C and at load it was in the ~80's - ~90's C. After getting a bigger case (CM Elite 335 Mid Tower case ) and adding an intake fan my temps dropped to 33'C-38'C while idling and mid to high 50's and sometimes peak in to the low ~60's on load. I live in a hot climate so for me those new temps are pretty darn good.

Here is the thread that helped me: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/289599-15-question-5770-temperatures

Good luck

faune

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010

I agree with abswindows7, if he means just to check if this has any effect on the temps. I did the same thing when I was having temp problems with my GPU plus I live in a hot and dusty climate. Tried gaming with the side off and it made a bit of a difference. Then I got a bigger case and it made a big difference, problem solved.

snx

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
I'll remove the side of the case for a while and I'll report back in an hour or so with the new temp results after playing some graphically intense(for my card) games.

UT3 at 1080p got up to 85 C(the highest with that game has been like 87 C). Gonna play that game to test the temps today since I beat Metro 2033 yesterday.

Quick results minutes after taking the case off, the idling temp is a few degrees lower than normal idling temp(45 degrees seems to be as low as it goes idling with open case). I'll try the game after I see how low it goes while just surfing the net for a bit.

There is like no room at all above the graphics card in the case. Does anyone know if a case fan is possible in a Slim tower unit like this? I'd hate to get a new case and put this crap in a new case cause then I'd be compelled to do hundreds of dollars worth of upgrades.

dirkw83

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2010
Well if I were you I'd try the plain and obvious solutions before deciding to buy anything new/change stuff etc... I'd seriously consider taking out the card, giving it some love and cleaning and whatnot and see if that improves stuff. Maybe reapply coolant between sink and core, maybe remove some dust... Stuff like that may make the difference you're looking for more easily.

snx

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
After playing a game with the case removed the hottest it got was 75 C and the fans never got too loud. It was quieter than my 360 on the dash the whole time.

For now I'll probably just remove the cover whenever I'm doing gaming since that keeps fan noise and heat way down. I'm guessing that is the best solution in my situation. I'll keep the side panel unscrewed for easy access.

Status
Not open for further replies.