How can I migrate the HDD with Win 7 to a new motherboard with all oth

jupe65

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
Motherboard died Part II: My question is, How can I migrate the HDD with Win 7 to a new motherboard with all other hardware remaining the same?

I did this once on another system using my own windows XP on a barebones system. It was easy, but I can't remember how I did it, and it was not on a dell and not using an Win 7 upgrade.

Not wanting to spend a lot of money on an expensive but questionable used or refurbed U880P motherboard w/o dual monitor ports, I purchased a BIOSTAR G41DVI motherboard to replace the dead U880P. Both motherboards are Socket LGA775.

The HDD has original Dell WinXP upgraded to Windows 7 (64bit) which I purchased on the open market plus all my programs, files, and emails etc. I do have a backup on an external HDD.

I'm hoping this is possible w/o a lot of grief.

Thanks

Welcome to Tom's Forums! :)

If you didn't have a Dell, Gateway, HP, etc OEM then no problem. It cannot hurt to try, but as always I recommend folks fully back-up ALL of their data first. That said, download ALL of the drivers from BIOSTAR -> http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/driver.php?S_ID=424 verify this is your MOBO, create a CD/DVD or USB with drivers, yeah plug-in the HDD, boot-up then install all of the drivers.

Ideally, a fresh install of the OS is your best choice. Otherwise, Windows will detect the correct drivers from its' library and load them, and you'll need to install the missing ones as described. Even if Windows detects the driver use all of them that you downloaded to avoid problems.

Good Luck! :)

jupe65

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
Update:
Received the mobo today. It's fits well, and most everything attaches OK. The back plate is flimsy but works OK.

However, the system fan wire is too short. Must order an extension.
I don't know what to do about the female connector for 9 pins attached to the wiring to the pc on/off button (2 on/off, 2 reset, 2 HDD, 3 LED). And the mobo has 15 pins. I think it lacks 4 "speaker on" pins plus another 2 pins for black wires. So I haven't be able to turn it on yet.

So far, I haven't located any adapter that might work. Any suggestions?
Thank you.

jupe65

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
Am up & running now. Window 7 accepted the changed mobo with a start repair. Had many error messages, but I chose to close them and continue. It finally booted up. Everything was there. Yeah!!! :bounce: