Sign in with
Your question

PC not booting or POST beeping

Last response: in Components
November 3, 2010 6:24:48 AM

About 3 weeks ago, I turned on my PC, which is a Dell 530s and the fans came on etc, but the computer did not POST beep. I turned PC off and on again and this time it worked ok and has now run ok for a couple of weeks.

Over the past couple of weeks when I have turned the PC on and off, and when it was turned on it seemed to be forgetting which was my O/S drive and I had to select it each time from the Bios by using F12 otherwise it said boot disk not found.

Today I updated some software, which required a re-boot and PC turned itself off and then tried to turn itself on again, but the fans just whirred and nothing else happened, no POST beep etc.

I have now tried the PC without RAM chips, cleaned them and put them back in, taken all cables out etc etc, and tried to boot, all but changing the power supply, changing the motherboard or the processor and each time the PC does not POST beep or start the monitor.

Do you think the solution may be something as simple as changing the CMOS battery? I do not have one spare!, or is it more likely to be a motherboard, power or porcessor issue?

Thanks, as any help would be appreciated.

More about : booting post beeping

November 3, 2010 8:12:01 AM

exactly, change the cmos battery
November 3, 2010 8:19:57 AM

Consider the routine check remove the RAM, video card, hard disk - their should be a beep sound, then put the RAM next boot up then beep again, put the video next boot up - you can tell if some part is problematic if it won't give you a vital sign.

Yes if your computer keeps forgetting the configuration consider changing the battery.
Related resources
November 3, 2010 9:42:46 AM

1-chage the cmos battery
2-check weather the heat sink(ie.the fan)is sitting on the processor chip properly and apply some thermal compund
3-if none of that works change ur psu
4- even if that dosent work change ur mobo
November 3, 2010 11:29:48 AM

ok simmy

i've been going through the same thing with my msi neo p965 motherboard, i spent hours upon hours trying to get it working.

while everything they will suggest is helpful in trying to pin down the problem i have one suggestion for you.

how if your monitor connected? if its connected via dvi see if you can connect it via hdmi instead or vga (not sure if that would work).

after all the time i spent investigatign my motherboard.

yes the first thing i did was the cmos battery but that was not the problem and in fact probalby was not even bad since a new battery did not fix the problem.

in fact i went through the whole process gutted my pc, changed graphics cards, etc only to discover by accident the problem.

as long as i had a dvi connected i got nothing. it would start the no video signal would vanish from the monitor and then reappare then vanihs and reappear.

no bios info, no beeps, etc.

now that i don't have a dvi connected i wish i could say it works fine but it does and doesn't.

everytime i boot i have to load the bios defaults, if power actually gets cut i lose the date and time adn i have to reboot multiple times before i have all my hard drives and dvd drive listed adn the tastbar is functional.

so what i was told was the problem is a bad southbridge on teh motherboard along with a bad cmos.

they said it sounded like a spike or surge but i don't think that was the cause since i'm on a batteryback up unit that never registered anything plus its supposed to compensate for spikes.

try that one thing and see if it works before you do tons of work pinpointing the problem.

if that works then sorry to say your motheboard needs replacing but until you get it replaced you should be able to use it.

i've been using it for about a week this way with no problems other than i have no second monitor which drives me nuts (everything is so quite) and i guess it helps i rarely reboot.

hope this helps
November 4, 2010 12:59:53 AM

Well, thanks for your responses, but I changed the CMOS battery and everything worked a treat, the only thing is on start up the PC cannot find O/S drive still and needs to be selected in BIOS or press F1 to continue.

I have tried to alter the set up of the BIOS so that the boot priority is hard disk first, but it seems to try and start with the diskette first, may be I need to update my BIOS, any ideas on my new problem?
November 4, 2010 5:08:36 AM

yep that should help update bios and firmware of the mobo and update us though if i were u i would chunk the mobo and go get a new one
November 4, 2010 6:19:47 AM

Have you got 2 HDD in the computer? If so, then just change the Primary HDD to the one that contains the OS on it.
Set boot order to HDD first and disable all other forms of boot (LAN, Other Devices etc etc), you'll need to "Save & Exit" the bios and not just exit it straight away.
Try it that way..... with a new Battery now it's only a question of the Boot order..... :) 
!