Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 27, 2011 7:49:39 PM

I need mobo for i7 2600K.
a c 717 V Motherboard
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
June 27, 2011 8:23:33 PM

Welcome to Tom's Forums! :) 

Either is fine, the ASUS P8Z68-V Pro has more 'doods' so it depends upon your peripheral needs. The ASUS has the edge for OC your 2600K 16 (12+4); ASrock 10 (8+2).

Review -> http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/asrock-z68-extreme4...

I don't always agree with Tom's Reviews, the Phases long-term only add to the life of the MOBO.
m
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 27, 2011 8:36:12 PM

Yes, It's good to know. Asrock has extra PLX chip. I don't really know how important it is but I want to know if I use 1 or 2 external graphic card/s the rest (like front usb pannel, e-sata etc.) will work properly?
m
l
Related resources
a c 717 V Motherboard
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
June 27, 2011 8:56:00 PM

Well with any MOBO there's never a guarantee ;)  However, as far as problems I haven't seen many problems with either MOBO which is good. The only USB 3 issue I see is with the UD7 plus USB Turbo mode interfering with the NF200 in x16/x16.

Q - Why Z68?

IMO - if you're looking for 2-WAY SLI/CF then I'd stick to the P67. The SSD Cache is worthless from practicality and the Quick Sync is fine if you make a career out of MPEG-2/4 i.e. YouTube and the Virtu is more problems than a solution for dGPU. BTW - I'm not alone with this.
m
l
a c 107 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
June 28, 2011 3:05:37 AM

The reason the PLX chip is important is that it allows the user to use all of the PCIe and PCI slots. On boards that don't have a chip like that, some slots share resources with other slots so you can't use them all at the same time. For most people who only use the graphics slots it doesn't matter.

I would also suggest P67 over Z68, unless you know for sure you are going to use Quick Sync and Intel's Smart Response SSD caching.

P67 boards I recommend:
ASRock P67 Extreme4
ASUS P8P67 Pro
Gigabyte P67A-UD4
MSI P67A-GD65
m
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 28, 2011 6:47:09 AM

ASUS P8Z68 Pro: I wonder If I use 2 graphic cards (sli, crossfire) the other hardware will work?
m
l
June 28, 2011 8:16:27 AM

Jaquith - Could you clarify what you mean about the turbo mode interfering with the NF 200?

is the PLX Chip that leaps from shadows references the same as the NF200 Chip?

is there no z68 mobo that lets me use x16x16? seems like there are only 3 that function that way, 2 of them gigbyte and the other asus p67
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 28, 2011 9:01:27 AM

Cant really comment on the ASRock, but i love my new ASUS P8Z68-v PRO board :)  would certainly recommend it.
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
June 28, 2011 1:57:39 PM

Good Morning to all :) 
Quote:
ASUS P8Z68 Pro: I wonder If I use 2 graphic cards (sli, crossfire) the other hardware will work?

What do you mean? Intel 'Spec' PCIe designed - no, other non-spec slim chance. {see next reply}.
lieutenantfrost said:
Jaquith - Could you clarify what you mean about the turbo mode interfering with the NF 200?

The GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 is a NF200 LGA 1155 and when the 'USB 3 Turbo mode' is enabled in the BIOS it apparently 'shares' and/or 'interferes' with the PCIe 16-lanes and in doing so you get x8/x8 in SLI/CF {CONFIRMED}, and if you disable 'USB 3 Turbo mode' you get the expected x16/x16. Though I haven't seen it yet, I suspect the same problem for the GA-P67A-UD7-B3. Therefore, use your GPU-z to verify your PCIe!

Hope that helps.
m
l
June 28, 2011 6:26:24 PM

What do you mean use your GPU-z to verify? is that a program ? the software that comes with it? if I wanted to verify I assume I'd just make sure the onboard gfx was disabled no ?

I was under the impression that it was the onboard graphics that shared the pci lanes and caused this interference? based on what you've said here, the turbo boost does as well? or am I just mixing things up ?
m
l
a c 107 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
June 28, 2011 6:31:39 PM

Quote:

Yes, the graphics cards run off of the CPU's PCIe lanes, which cannot be shared with anything else.

It's only if you use other slots like the PCIe x1 slots that sharing will disable some things. Again, this is on boards that do not have a PLX or other bridge chip.
m
l
a c 107 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
June 28, 2011 6:40:21 PM

What do you mean use your GPU-z to verify? is that a program ? the software that comes with it? if I wanted to verify I assume I'd just make sure the onboard gfx was disabled no ? said:
What do you mean use your GPU-z to verify? is that a program ? the software that comes with it? if I wanted to verify I assume I'd just make sure the onboard gfx was disabled no ?

GPU-Z is a program you download from the internet. It will tell you what PCIe speed your cards are running at.

I was under the impression that it was the onboard graphics that shared the pci lanes and caused this interference? based on what you've said here, the turbo boost does as well? or am I just mixing things up ? said:
I was under the impression that it was the onboard graphics that shared the pci lanes and caused this interference? based on what you've said here, the turbo boost does as well? or am I just mixing things up ?

Integrated graphics don't interfere because you can't use them at the same time.

The Gigabyte boards have a special USB Turbo mode that uses extra PCIe lanes to give extra USB performance. That takes away from other devices that need those PCIe lanes -- in this case, the graphics PCIe lanes provided by the NF200 chip. If you want x16/x16 SLI or CrossFire, don't use USB Turbo mode.

is there no z68 mobo that lets me use x16x16? seems like there are only 3 that function that way, 2 of them gigbyte and the other asus p67 said:
is there no z68 mobo that lets me use x16x16? seems like there are only 3 that function that way, 2 of them gigbyte and the other asus p67

Yes, the Gigabyte Z68X-UD7 has x16/x16 SLI and CrossFire capability. You can't use integrated graphics on that board though.
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
June 28, 2011 6:42:46 PM

In this instance of GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 and many of the Gigabyte Z68 MOBOs have NO iGPU period so no Virtu option; non-spec boards.

On Z68 leave the 'iGPU' alone on the Z68 it doesn't has the same affect as the older onboard GPUs did -- it's just a pathway to the integrated Graphics on current Sandy Bridge CPU; exceptions are the LGA 2011 SB-E with no onboard graphics. Everything is 'different' than traditional 'fixed' onboard graphics e.g. HD 4xxx ATI or similar nVidia.

GPU-z is an Application similar to CPU-z to identify the graphic characteristics -> http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/
m
l
June 28, 2011 7:37:42 PM

An article on the V-Pro is posted on the Tek Wisdom page and may give you some ideas as well as performance test results......

The Asus P8Z68-V Pro in the Shop
Dateline: 06-07-11

After the announcement of the Z68 chipset by Intel we immediately scoured the internet for more information and early part SKU releases to evaluate. Naturally, ASUS was one of the first vendors to release a new part for our gurus to play with in the lab. Behold, the new P8Z68-V Pro.

http://www.foxteknology.com/index.php?option=com_conten...
m
l
July 1, 2011 6:49:10 PM

Good stuff Bill. Great topics on the Tek Wisdom pages, very relevant. Thanks!
m
l
July 1, 2011 6:57:31 PM

Thank Vin. Our tek gurus are just like all of us, hungry for the latest information, they love to test out all the new offerings and strive to offer their opinion in a useful and positive way. Feel free to visit often as we post regularly to our Tek Wisdom page.
m
l
July 2, 2011 1:24:39 AM

I'd like to chime in on this thread.....

Today, I just RMA'd my 2nd ASRock Z68 Extreme4 in as many weeks! Both DOA! In the case of today's attempt, when I removed the plastic CPU slot protector, (2) of the pins were sitting proud above the rest....not good.

As I will not use the SSD caching, nor the Quick Sync and will be using a dedicated graphics card; I think I will look at the P67's. I am trying to determine between ASUS or Gigabyte. My last board, which works fine and I just sold was an ASUS. Maybe I shouldn't change.

I'm not interested in overclocking; I just want a stable system:

OS on SSD
Data on a RAID1

Parts in hand; ready to install:

i7 2600k
16GB GSkill
1GB Nvidia Quadro 600

Great posts folks!
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
July 2, 2011 2:20:21 PM

It REALLY depends on what you need: OC, SLI/CF, how 'extreme', budget, and a like all determines 'what's the best' MOBO for you. I and others know the 'best' but linking $350+ MOBOs for the majority of people makes little sense. Then going for mainstream becomes a matter of opinion.

If the OP's goals are 5GHz OC then only the ultra high-end makes sense; 'sure' you can attempt a 5GHz OC on a 4+1 phase MOBO, but that long term is a joke in itself.

Many of the P67/Z68 seem to be having a lot of problems, but in many cases where I see 2-3+ RMA/DOA MOBO or non-verified owners one begins to think it a 'Builder problem' or agenda and not a 'Mfg problem' unless UPS's new policy is to play Frisbee with all their boxes.

Any P67/Z68 #1 activity update your BIOS, #2 watch your static, #3 look at building 'How To's' before opening the boxes...
m
l
!