Low power graphics card for Crysis?

aireq

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
I recently built a new computer to use as a home sever/HTPC. Here are the specs:

System
Motherboard ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
CPU AMD Athlon II X2 250
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

Drives
OPTICAL ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner
System 150 GB 7200 RPM SATA
Secure 500 GB 7200 RPM SATA
Backup SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
Removable Slot 1 500 GB 7200 RPM SATA

I've been using the integrated graphics, which is working fine for playing videos and movies. However, recently I installed a copy of Crysis I had laying around. I've been able to play it at the lowest settings, but now I'm tempted to go pick up a dedicated video card so I can actually play the game the way it was meant to be played with all the fancy graphic effects.

My concern though is that upgrading the video card will also require that I upgrade the PSU considering how many hard drives I have. Here's the results of NewEggs PSU calculator for my current setup:

I2La4.jpg

I have an Antec TruePower 450 now, which is slightly more then the recommended wattage for my system. If I try to change the graphics card to something other than "Integrated" the recommended PSU wattage jumps up to 600-650.

Does anyone have any suggestions? If I want to install a dedicated graphics card that can do a decent job with Crysis is there anyway around needed to install a new PSU as well?

aireq

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
Thanks guys that's great to hear.

I'm out of the loop in the world of video cards and chipsets, and it seems like most people are recommending ATI these days. What 5xxx GPU should I be considering? Or rather which is going to provide me with the most value for my money? With most computer hardware components there's a point of diminishing return between how much more you are going to spend vs how much more you get. Is the HD5770 the sweet spot these days?