Can i use ide hard drives on a sata mobo?

smathis11

Honorable
Nov 3, 2012
Can i do this with some sort of converter? I found a lot of cheap 7200 rpm IDE hard drives, and I would like to use them on my Sata 6 motherboard.

Many hard drives you find will be older stock and may not be as fast(Lack of PMR on some and no way to use NcQ) as the latest drives.

Those adapters should work ok. Most of the time you have to set the IDE drive to master for the IDE- > SATA chip to properly detect it.

The drives will not break the speeds of SATA 1.5 gigabit/sec anyway.

smathis11

Honorable
Nov 3, 2012

40 gigs. Im thinking about buying them and putting my youtube videos on them after im done recording, that way if i ever need to access them I can just plug in the drive, and it won't clutter my main drive.

smathis11

Honorable
Nov 3, 2012

I realize that, but most new motherboards (especially fm2) do not have IDE connectors, just Satas

Well the price is cheap, but old 40 gigabyte drives are going to be rather slow(Like I can say much when i still have an old 60gigabyte IDE laptop drive in a case :) ). PRM(gave a huge boost in density) was not out and drive density was VERY low.

For storage it should be ok. Get your self a USB -> IDE adapter and use that then you never have to install them into the system to get files off. Remember again. Set master to use any adapters.

$10-15 per adapter, plus $2 per drive, is $12-$17 per 40GB, get 4 of them going and you could have bought a cheap 500-750GB.

Those adapters are flaky too, picky on the type of drive, type of motherboard, half won't boot off the drive, and as stated, those drives are going to be slow, regardless of being new or not. it's not worth it IMO.

smathis11

Honorable
Nov 3, 2012

Which places do you think would have bf sales on hdds?