Can i use ide hard drives on a sata mobo?

Can i do this with some sort of converter? I found a lot of cheap 7200 rpm IDE hard drives, and I would like to use them on my Sata 6 motherboard.
14 answers Last reply
More about hard drives sata mobo
  1. Many hard drives you find will be older stock and may not be as fast(Lack of PMR on some and no way to use NcQ) as the latest drives.

    Those adapters should work ok. Most of the time you have to set the IDE drive to master for the IDE- > SATA chip to properly detect it.

    The drives will not break the speeds of SATA 1.5 gigabit/sec anyway.
  2. Yes you can, they make adapters like this one:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232004

    I'd recommend just sticking with sata HDDs though.
  3. mlcaouette said:
    Yes you can, they make adapters like this one:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232004

    I'd recommend just sticking with sata HDDs though.

    the thing is my budget. im building a computer soon, and my schokl is selling tose rand new hdds for $2 each. they are brand new too.
  4. How much storage do the drives offer? This will help to determine if they are worth the purchase.
  5. mlcaouette said:
    How much storage do the drives offer? This will help to determine if they are worth the purchase.


    40 gigs. Im thinking about buying them and putting my youtube videos on them after im done recording, that way if i ever need to access them I can just plug in the drive, and it won't clutter my main drive.
  6. If your motherboard has an IDE connector, you can use an IDE drive.
  7. omnisome said:
    If your motherboard has an IDE connector, you can use an IDE drive.

    I realize that, but most new motherboards (especially fm2) do not have IDE connectors, just Satas
  8. Well the price is cheap, but old 40 gigabyte drives are going to be rather slow(Like I can say much when i still have an old 60gigabyte IDE laptop drive in a case :) ). PRM(gave a huge boost in density) was not out and drive density was VERY low.

    For storage it should be ok. Get your self a USB -> IDE adapter and use that then you never have to install them into the system to get files off. Remember again. Set master to use any adapters.
  9. $10-15 per adapter, plus $2 per drive, is $12-$17 per 40GB, get 4 of them going and you could have bought a cheap 500-750GB.

    Those adapters are flaky too, picky on the type of drive, type of motherboard, half won't boot off the drive, and as stated, those drives are going to be slow, regardless of being new or not. it's not worth it IMO.
  10. Willing to bet you can get something nice on black Friday :)

    I actually had an old bytecc usb -> ide and it never failed to read a drive, but yeah. It all costs more then one would guess in the end(even more when you look at performance).
  11. nukemaster said:
    Willing to bet you can get something nice on black Friday :)

    I actually had an old bytecc usb -> ide and it never failed to read a drive, but yeah. It all costs more then one would guess in the end(even more when you look at performance).

    Which places do you think would have bf sales on hdds?
  12. newegg, tigerdirect, maybe amazon. These are the places i would check.
  13. to add to above
    ncix - Canada
    ncixus.com - USA

    Even local stores may have some good deals.
  14. Canada computers is having a big sale as well on black friday.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives SATA Converter Storage Product