antec 300 illusion case
4gb corsair ddr3 1600mghz
corsair 650tx psu
asus directcu top 1gb 5850
samsung syncmaster 24"p2450(1920x1200)
msi 770-g45 mainboard

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE(8-30-2010)

BUDGET RANGE: ($700-900) Before / After Rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: ( gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: (OS)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: ( newegg.com)
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: (usa)

PARTS PREFERENCES: by brand or type (e.g.: I would like to use an AMD CPU &this msi mainboard with a 24" LCD and atx mid tower)

OVERCLOCKING: Yes

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: no

MONITOR RESOLUTION: (1920x1200)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: (e.g.: Need to have a window and lots of bling, I would like a quiet PC)
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about homebuilt
  1. Go with DDR3 1333 RAM. Your mobo will just downgrade 1600 Mhz RAM to 1333 anyways.

Everything else looks alright to me.
  2. If you're overclocking, then 1600 MHz RAM is fine.

Agree that it looks pretty decent otherwise. You could potentially get a better/more recent mobo, but only if you're looking for either USB 3.0 support or think you'll crossfire in the future.
  3. yeah..i want to upgrade to the msi 890fx-gd70 as soon as i can...then xfire 2 of these asus top 5850's...then ill be set..altho i will need to get a highr power psu of course..ok..ty guys..this place is awesome!
  4. and yeah..your right about the ram getting downclocked to 1333..thats what happened before...and i dont know how yet to overclock ram sucsesfully yet...i am just learning this stuff...
  5. Your PSU is a bit much. Not enough to run the 5850 in CF, but to much for a single card. Might want to drop down abit there as well, or step up to one that can run that CF setup. Either or.
  6. ok..ill look into that..i was thinking that for now..with a single card solution..it would be fine, however,..i agree that crossfire might take more...ty for your input, everyone here is so helpful and knowledgable....
  7. 4745454b said:
    Your PSU is a bit much. Not enough to run the 5850 in CF, but to much for a single card. Might want to drop down abit there as well, or step up to one that can run that CF setup. Either or.
    I think that PSU should be enough for Xfiring that card, but not sure though. (I know for sure that it's enough for 2 X 5770's).

If you wanna be sure, you can always go with the Antec TruePower TP-750.

On the other hand, if you wanna save some money, go with a OCZ Fatal1ty 550W if you're not gonna be Xfiring any time soon.
  8. According to AMD you need: 500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (600 Watt and four 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode).

The CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX you have selected should be plenty powerful, however you will have to use adapter connectors, as it only has 2 x 6+2 pin power connectors, whereas the CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX has 4 x 6+2 pin power connectors.
    However, the 750TX is at the same price as the Antec TruePower New TP-750 that calguyhunk linked, and from reviews looks like an excellent PSU.
  9. Best answer
    So 600W and you have a total of 650? If your cutting it that close AND you don't have all the plugs you should have is why I say you should get a different one for CF. I wouldn't want to be gaming and running my PSU at 92% of what it can do for hours on end. That can't be healthy. Its not really this bad as the TDP of the 5850 is ~175W. Two in CF is 350W, toss in another 100W for your CPU and another 50W or so for everything else and your really looking at a draw of around 500W or so. Thats a lot better but if you don't have the plugs to do it I say don't.
  10. your perfectly right..the 750 is definitaly the way to go..you guys r awesome on here..no reason to cut it so close...im going with the 750...ty...
  11. Best answer selected by dwilbur45.
  12. i decided on this one..ty all...

Voted best power supply manufacturer by CustomPC 2009 CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

* ATX12V / EPS12V
    * 100 - 240 V
    * 80 PLUS Certified

* Model #:
    * Item #: N82E16817139006

* Was: $139.99
    * Now: $109.99
    * $89.99 with Rebate
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product