Sign in with
Your question
Closed

PSU & Static

Last response: in Components
November 3, 2010 3:15:09 PM

hey guys, i was holding up my psu by tying a folded up plastic bag around its cage to hold it up while i bend the bracket to fit it in. the screw was only off by a bit, so I had to bend the bracket ever so slightly as that was the problem.

being static conscious, i had a big weights bar lying on the floor, i was sitting on it with surface contact to my skin, and touching it regularly. however, i am a bit worried though I was careful with the plastic bag as to not rub it too much, at one point it ever so slightly touch the mobo.

Question:

if an esd was discharged, even ever so slightly, or really small electropotential, I will hear/see/feel it right?

More about : psu static

Best solution

a c 77 ) Power supply
November 3, 2010 3:24:15 PM

If you would have a static discharge, you would feel it, as it would give you a slight shock and worse case you'll see the discharge like a lightning bolt.

I wouldn't be to worried at this point, unless you have put the system together an it isn't booting. At that point, I would follow the below thread and complete all the items listed. If no solution is found, you might have had a discharge that damaged the board (I give it a very low chance by your posting though).

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...
a b ) Power supply
November 3, 2010 3:35:58 PM

Are psu even sensitive to electrostatic energy?I read a few people discharging themselves using psu.Correct me if i am wrong.
Score
Related resources
a c 77 ) Power supply
November 3, 2010 3:49:28 PM

No, the PSU really isn't effected by ESD but the concern is the OP touched the motherboard through this process and was worried they might of happened.
Score
November 3, 2010 6:48:39 PM

Thanks tecmo! learnt alot about the process. Computer booted up fine, me being paranoid as always. Whats your setup by the way, im curious :D 
Score
November 3, 2010 6:49:01 PM

Best answer selected by aluminiumframe.
Score
a c 77 ) Power supply
November 3, 2010 7:19:29 PM

aluminiumframe said:
Best answer selected by aluminiumframe.

nThanks for the best answer nod, it equals my 50th best answer in CPU section for my silver badge :) 
Score
a b ) Power supply
November 3, 2010 10:16:28 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!