Solved

Going up to 8 GB DDR3

I'm thinking about upping my RAM to 8GB. I currently have 6GB of DDR3 but I feel it's not enough. I think I have a strange config too (2 x 2 x 1 x 1) of Kingston (PC3 10600 DDR3 1333). Should I just pull the two 1GB sticks and get two more Kingstons (is this Kingston good)? OR...

Should I change all 4 to some better Dominator or G Skill ripjaws, and just go ahead and get 4 x 4 GB sticks , and go for 16 GB (but this seems like overkill)?

Any advice?

Dell pre-built (yeah I know) Studio XPS 7100
AMD Phenom ii x6 1090t
6 GB DDR3 1333 Kingston
Corsair 650watt CMPSU 650TX PSU
Radeon HD 5770
LG 22" M2262d 1080P HDTV/Monitor
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about going ddr3
  1. Should read: 6 GB DDR3 1333 Kingston
  2. 6GB is a decent amount of RAM. What makes you think that it isn't enough?

Do you run Windows? Which version?

If you bring up Task Manager, it will tell you how much RAM is in use. Unless you are using over 4GB, there is little point in installing more.
  3. I personally have just built a new system with 8GB RAM and im yet to see my RAM use more than 3GB :) I got 8GB purely because it was a new build and the price difference was minor. Since you already have 6GB, id just stick with it :)
  4. I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. I guess the config of 2 x 2 x 1 x 1 was just bothering me. So why is the option to add 16 (or 8) GB even there - if 6 is all I really need?
  5. Because if you're doing massive RAM-intensive jobs like video/photo editing or running a lot of work software, you might need it.

For most causal home users/gamers 4Gb is plenty.
  6. Best answer
    Whether or not you need 8GB of RAM for Windows is an answer I'm searching for myself. :??: I think there are situations where you could exhaust your physical RAM, but I don't know when that would be, except during high-intensity video editing, and maybe enormous still photos. But I'm not sure if any games take advantage of that much RAM.

As for how you should go about replacing the RAM you have, everything I've read online suggests that it's better to have two banks with 8GB, than running four banks with 2GB. IIRC, it's because of the load all those chips put on the memory controller — the voltage gets increased, which means more heat (at least).

Unfortunately, if you do go with that philosophy, you'll be pulling all the sticks and replacing them with a pair of 4GBs. But if you only replace two 1GBs, I would strive to use similar if not identical speed & timing, for all four modules. Because I'm not sure how well [or even if] dual-channel would run, if you had notably mixed specs in your RAM.

HTH!
  7. Best answer selected by Hapkiman.
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory DDR3 Kingston Product