Ultimate Gigabit Network

bryceray1121

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
I'm getting ready to upgrade my network. I'm starting from scratch and want to build the fastest network possible using the newest specifications and technologies.

Information: There will be 2 PC desktops, 1 PC Laptop, 1 Macbook, and one gigabit NAS on the network. For simplicity, lets assume that the 2 desktops which will be hardwired will be used for the final benchmark.

How would you build the network if you had the opportunity and a generous budget?

Please let me know if you need more information to make a proper suggestion.

Thanks.

bryceray1121

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
I've looked online to find reviews on good routers. However, all the reviews I find are 6-12months old.

Any suggestions on good Home routers that have come out recently? Or do you have one in mind thats a little older that would do a good job.
How does your suggestion compare to this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127243

On a side note; i just realized this isn't in the router forum, i'm not sure how that happened I must have clicked the wrong drop down option.

Kewlx25

Distinguished
And a generous budget ehh..

I would build a Win2k8R2 box with RAID6 and SSDs, drop a 10gbit NIC on it, get a good managed gigabit switch with 10gb port, still use my Netgear 3700 to NAT to the i-net and get a Motarola 3.0 cable modem so it has a 1gbit port.

So everything would be gigabit, but my NAS would be 10gb.

I got MSDN, so I can get Win2k8 R2.