...but I really am the administrator!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I am trying to install the newest version of Macromedia Shockwave (10). I
currently have version 8 installed. Every time I try to install version 10,
it tells me that I do not have administrative privileges, even though I do!
I can't get past this.

How do I convince Shockwave that I AM the administrator of the PC?

XP Home

Thanks.... Paul
15 answers Last reply
More about administrator
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Use the standalone version and save it to your desktop (or wherever) then
    try installing it.
    Uninstall the old version first.
    http://sdc.shockwave.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=Shockwave&P2_Platform=Win32&P3_Browser_Version=NetscapePre4

    --
    Peter.
    Toronto, Canada
    "PSimon" <psimon38@home.com> wrote in message
    >I am trying to install the newest version of Macromedia Shockwave (10). I
    >currently have version 8 installed. Every time I try to install version 10,
    >it tells me that I do not have administrative privileges, even though I do!
    >I can't get past this.
    >
    > How do I convince Shockwave that I AM the administrator of the PC?
    >
    > XP Home
    >
    > Thanks.... Paul

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    OK... so I uninstalled 8. I still can't install 10! Now what? Why does it
    think I don't have administrator rights?

    "Peter" <r2d2 AT cesmail DOT net> wrote in message
    > Use the standalone version and save it to your desktop (or wherever) then
    > try installing it.
    > Uninstall the old version first.
    > http://sdc.shockwave.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=Shockwave&P2_Platform=Win32&P3_Browser_Version=NetscapePre4
    >
    > --
    > Peter.
    > Toronto, Canada
    > XP Home SP2
    > P4 HT @ 3ghz, 1gb RAM, 160gb HD.
    > "PSimon" <psimon38@home.com> wrote in message
    >>I am trying to install the newest version of Macromedia Shockwave (10). I
    >>currently have version 8 installed. Every time I try to install version
    >>10, it tells me that I do not have administrative privileges, even though
    >>I do! I can't get past this.
    >>
    >> How do I convince Shockwave that I AM the administrator of the PC?
    >>
    >> XP Home
    >>
    >> Thanks.... Paul

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    PSimon wrote:
    > OK... so I uninstalled 8. I still can't install 10! Now what? Why does it
    > think I don't have administrator rights?
    >

    > "Peter" <r2d2 AT cesmail DOT net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Use the standalone version and save it to your desktop (or wherever) then
    >>try installing it.
    >>Uninstall the old version first.
    >>http://sdc.shockwave.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=Shockwave&P2_Platform=Win32&P3_Browser_Version=NetscapePre4
    >>
    >>--
    >>Peter.
    >>Toronto, Canada
    >>XP Home SP2
    >>P4 HT @ 3ghz, 1gb RAM, 160gb HD.
    >>"PSimon" <psimon38@home.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I am trying to install the newest version of Macromedia Shockwave (10). I
    >>>currently have version 8 installed. Every time I try to install version
    >>>10, it tells me that I do not have administrative privileges, even though
    >>>I do! I can't get past this.
    >>>
    >>>How do I convince Shockwave that I AM the administrator of the PC?
    >>>
    >>>XP Home
    >>>
    >>>Thanks.... Paul

    Have you double checked you settings in user accounts?
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Yes I did... I AM listed as Administrator. I even tried changing my wife's
    account and making her an Administrator and installing it through there...
    no luck!

    Why should this be so hard?

    "--x--" <ediab@rogers.com> wrote in message
    > PSimon wrote:
    >> OK... so I uninstalled 8. I still can't install 10! Now what? Why does it
    >> think I don't have administrator rights?
    >>

    >> "Peter" <r2d2 AT cesmail DOT net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Use the standalone version and save it to your desktop (or wherever) then
    >>>try installing it.
    >>>Uninstall the old version first.
    >>>http://sdc.shockwave.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=Shockwave&P2_Platform=Win32&P3_Browser_Version=NetscapePre4
    >>>
    >>>--
    >>>Peter.
    >>>Toronto, Canada
    >>>XP Home SP2
    >>>P4 HT @ 3ghz, 1gb RAM, 160gb HD.
    >>>"PSimon" <psimon38@home.com> wrote in message

    > Have you double checked you settings in user accounts?
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Try starting up in safe mode. When you're in safe mode, there should be an
    extra account named Administrator. It either has no password (by default, I
    think. kind of scary that anyone can have admin rights as long as they start
    in safe mode and you didn't set a password, which you probably wouldn't if
    you don't know it exists.) or a password you assigned to the admin account.
    Try installing the program while logged in as this Administrator in safe
    mode. Yeah, it should work with any admin account, but sometimes Windows is
    messed up like that.

    "PSimon" wrote:

    > Yes I did... I AM listed as Administrator. I even tried changing my wife's
    > account and making her an Administrator and installing it through there...
    > no luck!
    >
    > Why should this be so hard?
    >

    > "--x--" <ediab@rogers.com> wrote in message
    > > PSimon wrote:
    > >> OK... so I uninstalled 8. I still can't install 10! Now what? Why does it
    > >> think I don't have administrator rights?
    > >>

    > >> "Peter" <r2d2 AT cesmail DOT net> wrote in message

    > > Have you double checked you settings in user accounts?

    Yes, I have a friend with a problem like that (but we havent fixed cos
    it doesnt matter to him).

    H had XP home, with a user account called 'admin'. It was upgraded to
    XP Pro. He still logs in as 'admin', with administrator rights, but
    every now and then, it wont let him do things, saying there are
    restrictions imposed on 'admin'. If he switches users to
    'administrator' its fine, then he switches back. But it only happens
    VERY VERY occasionally.....very odd......

    --
    guestfromhell
    guestfromhell's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=12490

    Clean the Temp directories both Windows and user. Disable any antivirus and
    malware watch programs.
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Guess what! I did what you suggested. I started up in the Safe Mode. Sure
    enough there was an Administrator user. Used it. Went to install Shockwave
    10.... It STILL said I didn't have Administrator rights and cancelled the
    install!

    Now what!

    This is really frustrating!

    "S Murder" <SMurder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Try starting up in safe mode. When you're in safe mode, there should be an
    > extra account named Administrator. It either has no password (by default,
    > think. kind of scary that anyone can have admin rights as long as they
    > start
    > in safe mode and you didn't set a password, which you probably wouldn't if
    > you don't know it exists.) or a password you assigned to the admin
    > account.
    > Try installing the program while logged in as this Administrator in safe
    > mode. Yeah, it should work with any admin account, but sometimes Windows
    > is
    > messed up like that.
    >
    > "PSimon" wrote:
    >
    >> Yes I did... I AM listed as Administrator. I even tried changing my
    >> wife's
    >> account and making her an Administrator and installing it through
    >> there...
    >> no luck!
    >>
    >> Why should this be so hard?
    >>

    >> "--x--" <ediab@rogers.com> wrote in message

    >> > Have you double checked you settings in user accounts?

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Sorry it didn't help. Maybe you could change the permissions for non
    administrators so that they can install programs. Also, can you instal other
    programs?
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    As far as I can tell..... I don't have problems installing other apps. I did
    change the level for my wife and tried to install through her name. Same
    thing there!

    I think I am running out of options!

    Thanks for trying!

    > Sorry it didn't help. Maybe you could change the permissions for non
    > administrators so that they can install programs. Also, can you instal
    > other
    > programs?

    Is it the NTFS system, has security rights been applied to the complete
    HDD. Double check your account name in the local Administrator group.

    --
    techguy
    techguy's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=6552

    Did you try a new installation package, or one from a different source?

    "PSimon" wrote:

    > As far as I can tell..... I don't have problems installing other apps. I did
    > change the level for my wife and tried to install through her name. Same
    > thing there!
    >
    > I think I am running out of options!
    >
    > Thanks for trying!
    >

    > "S Murder" <SMurder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Sorry it didn't help. Maybe you could change the permissions for non
    > > administrators so that they can install programs. Also, can you instal
    > > other
    > > programs?

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    I downloaded both the "Slim" and the "Full" version of Shockwave direct from
    Macromedia. Both of them give me the same "Lack of Administrator Rights"
    error. This is so frustrating!

    > Did you try a new installation package, or one from a different source?
    >
    > "PSimon" wrote:
    >
    >> As far as I can tell..... I don't have problems installing other apps. I
    >> did
    >> change the level for my wife and tried to install through her name. Same
    >> thing there!
    >>
    >> I think I am running out of options!
    >>
    >> Thanks for trying!
    >>

    >> "S Murder" <SMurder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Sorry it didn't help. Maybe you could change the permissions for non
    >> > administrators so that they can install programs. Also, can you instal
    >> > other
    >> > programs?

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Maybe you should contact Shockwave to ask for support - they might have
    a clue.

    Just a thought - try this if you haven't already.

    --
    anithinks
    anithinks's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=13468

    Doesn't Shockwave install right from their webpage? What are downloading?

    >I downloaded both the "Slim" and the "Full" version of Shockwave direct
    >from Macromedia. Both of them give me the same "Lack of Administrator
    >Rights" error. This is so frustrating!
    >

    > "S Murder" <SMurder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Did you try a new installation package, or one from a different source?
    >>
    >> "PSimon" wrote:
    >>
    >>> As far as I can tell..... I don't have problems installing other apps. I
    >>> did
    >>> change the level for my wife and tried to install through her name. Same
    >>> thing there!
    >>>
    >>> I think I am running out of options!
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for trying!
    >>>

    >>> "S Murder" <SMurder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Configuration Shockwave Microsoft Windows XP