Closed Solved

Core 2 duo stock fan vs Core 2 Quad?

Thanks in advance to all who reply!! :bounce:
I upgraded from a C2D E6750 to a C2Q 9550 and used an after market HSF. I started a new project and want to reuse the C2D. I was going to use the C2Q stock fan but noticed the fins were smaller by 3/4 of an inch, along with the copper in the middle by 3/4 in dia. Also the C2D HSF has a plate connected to the push pins which in my eyes creates more cooling for the copper.
Sitting on the fan the C2Q fan sit 3/4 tall. The C2D is almost 2 1/2 in tall. Both fan are the same size both are 12VDC and both are0.60A.
This will go into a server so I want to turn it on and forget it.
Thanks
Steven
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about core stock core quad
  1. Forgot to ask a question.
    Which one should I use?
  2. Use the C2Q heat sink.. Its designed to handle a higher TDP so should give more cooler results (theoretically).. Also (again theoretically), it might be less noisier also..
  3. Best answer
    The C2D fan would probably be better suited do it its larger size, that HSF was designed around a 65nm chip and the Q9550 is a 45nm chip (makes less heat). I have cooler designed for a E6550 (65nm) on an E7500 (45nm) and I can run it at 4.07Ghz stable @ 70 C (which is high but for a stock HSF its pretty good)
  4. Best answer selected by stevenyed.
  5. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Core Fan Quad