Okcookienc

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Hey community,

I am in the market for a device on which to backup my media and from which to stream HD video, photos, etc. I am currently running a desktop system, 2 iPads, a laptop, a PS3, X-Box 360, and Wii. I would like to be able to place this device in a room to itself, connect it to the network, and backup data from the Windows PCs. I would also like this device to be able to stream to the 360 and perhaps the iPads. I am considering various NAS devices, primarily the QNAP TS-212-US Diskless System. You can find a Newegg summary and reviews of the device here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822107063

I noticed that it supports SATA, and has 2 SATA bays supporting up to 3TB presumably in RAID 1. It does not state that it supports SATA II. Does this matter?

Please, I am seeking recommendations for such a device. Basically, I want something of a media server. It would be nice if it could support cloud backup, as my wife would like to have the security of such a paid service. As I've said, my goals are:

1. Backup media
2. Stream media to multiple devices in the house
3. Perhaps backup to a paid cloud service

I have never worked with a NAS before, and I don't really know what I'm looking for or where to start. Please, help me decide which to purchase. I need to give my wishlist to my wife soon, so she can order in time for the holidays.

Thank you!